• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this?

22 posts in this topic

What is this?

Just received this comic in the mail today. The top of the pages of the book are showing. What is this called? Does it not affect the grade? Is this common? Does it affect the value?

Im new, so forgive me.

20170606_075937.jpg

Did you submit? What does the bottom edge look like, is there overhang? Are the staples firm and attached? If so, possibly a production error. Hard to tell with only one pic.

It reminds me of my first Harbinger 1 9.6, which was destroyed in transit.  The interior pages were shaken loose from the staples and cover.

I hope yours is a production issue, though. :wishluck: 

are those the comic pages or a sheet of microchamber paper?

if the pages are popping out maybe the comic got detached from the cover in transit

i know cgc is nice about production errors, but if that passes as a 9.6 as a production error that is nuts

For some reason, I can not upload the photos. I keep getting an error message.

There is an overhang at the bottom. The seller on ebay has told me he would accept a return. To be honest, I do not want to return it as I got it in a grade I want at a price I wanted to pay. Returning it is a pretty defeating feeling. However, I am not happy with the top of the comic. I don't know what is going on there.

If anyone is interested, I could email the photographs. Any help is appreciated. Just trying to figure out if I should return it.

If you're not going to be happy because the only thing that looks 9.6 about it to you is the number in the upper left, I would take the seller up on a return. Chances are, others might have the same reaction one day down the line. You might spend a bit more, but you'll be able to find a 9.6 you feel good about easily enough. Don't let it nag you. 2c

It did not have that in the listing. Pretty disappointed when I opened the package. Seller said it was not like that when he shipped it. All in all, seller has been pretty understanding. I have decided to return it.

2 minutes ago, Bakerbr13 said:

It did not have that in the listing. Pretty disappointed when I opened the package. Seller said it was not like that when he shipped it. All in all, seller has been pretty understanding. I have decided to return it.

Good choice.  If you're not happy owning it, what's the point?

4 minutes ago, Bakerbr13 said:

I just clicked through to learn about the seller. That is definitely someone I would buy from. I respect how he is handling this with you. Good for you both! (thumbsu

What's the deal on the second printing of this book? Rarer than the first? Just curious. And to the OP, good choice to return and good on the seller to accept one with no hassles. This book obviously has problems.

Good decision-something like this is like an error on a tattoo-it grows larger and more bothersome with each passing day.  After a while you cant see the book any more-just the overhang....

51 minutes ago, Jayman said:

What's the deal on the second printing of this book? Rarer than the first?

I remember being very unhappy to own the 2nd print at the time. Those silver reprints didn't fool anyone, you only had one because you couldn't find or afford a 1st.  Gotta be harder to find in grade.

9 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Could it be Shaken Comic Syndrome? Hard to tell with just the one pic of the top.

Most likely. :sorry:

20 hours ago, nepatkm said:

Most likely. :sorry:

I agree, this is the classic SCS that can happen with that style inner holder.   It's easy to tell - forget about the overhang, look at the staples.  The staples should have the cover tearing around them.

Book should be returned to seller, and then to CGC.  It's a total loss.

22 hours ago, FineCollector said:

I remember being very unhappy to own the 2nd print at the time. Those silver reprints didn't fool anyone, you only had one because you couldn't find or afford a 1st.  Gotta be harder to find in grade.

Yep, same here.  All those 2nd (3rd, 4th, 5th) print books were basically yelling, "I DIDN'T GET THE REAL THING SO I HAD TO SETTLE FOR THIS INSTEAD!"

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Yep, same here.  All those 2nd (3rd, 4th, 5th) print books were basically yelling, "I DIDN'T GET THE REAL THING SO I HAD TO SETTLE FOR THIS INSTEAD!"

2nd print still makes me feel that way ??? should I feel differently?:shy:

Spidey 361 should be in a well, not lid to lid. I can't tell from the photo. The staples seem to be unstable and well to well will often tear the cover and shift it, usually slightly. I haven't seen something that drastic.