• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marker Across the top of my books

5 posts in this topic

Marker Across the top of my books

Hello, This is my first post and I have a question for someone with more experience than I. I recently attended a comic convention and while there I picked up a copy of ASM 300, New Mutants 87, Hulk 340, Secret Wars 8 and Wolverine 1988 issue 1. All appeared to be NM copies however I removed one of the books from it's bag and noticed that the top of the book had been marked with magic marker specifically green magic marker. I continued to open the other books and every book but the Wolverine copy had the same marker across the top. The marker doesn't bleed into the covers nor does it bleed into and of the inside comic panels. The marks are the width of the comic and about 1/2 inch in length. I will mention that the ASM 300 is a newsstand edition but none of the other books are so I don't believe that to be a factor.

Does anyone have any insight as to what this does to the value of the books? Are they still worth grading? Sorry I have no pictures but I'll try to add some tomorrow. Any insight is much appreciated!

Thank you and yes I will take the book out before buying in the future, From researching the topic further it sounds as if it shouldn't affect the grade. The book is in beautiful condition and is ready to be sent off to be graded but I didn't want to waste the money if the mark would drastically affect it's grade/value. 

I have heard of this before. Did they mark the face of the pages? The leaf edges that is.

I have heard that dealers will put a small smudge of varied marker colors in order to facilitate pricing. Different colors could mean a different price point . Typically I have heard of this most commonly at flea markets and it could mimic a distributor spray. I read something about all this here on the boards some time back I believe.

If I had to guess it would drop the grade any where from 0 to 1  point. I mean pedigrees have writing on the cover sometimes and although this here is not a case of provenance it seems in the same vein.

On 6/28/2017 at 10:43 AM, H0RR0RSH0W said:

I have heard of this before. Did they mark the face of the pages? The leaf edges that is.

I have heard that dealers will put a small smudge of varied marker colors in order to facilitate pricing. Different colors could mean a different price point . Typically I have heard of this most commonly at flea markets and it could mimic a distributor spray. I read something about all this here on the boards some time back I believe.

If I had to guess it would drop the grade any where from 0 to 1  point. I mean pedigrees have writing on the cover sometimes and although this here is not a case of provenance it seems in the same vein.

I got my books back with the marker along the top of the books and it doesn't appear I was penalized for the marker when it came to grading. I think it's akin to distributor spray and it appears cgc doesn't ding us for it.