• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What got you hooked on comics?
1 1

115 posts in this topic

ASM 24 through 27; Spidey Goes Mad, JJJ's Robot, and the Crime-Master story arc - then a few month later ASM 31-33 Master Planner storyline.
FF 39 through 43; A Blind Man Shall Lead Them, The Battle of the Baxter Building, and the Frightful Four trilogy The Brutal Betrayal of Ben Grimm - then followed by the Inhumans and Galactus/Silver Surfer.
X-Men 12 & 13 -the Juggernaut storyline -then followed by the Sentinels trilogy.
JIM 118 & 119 -the Destroyer storyline.
DD 9-11 -Wally Wood ('Nuff Said).

All this unfolded pretty much at once, within a 6 month period (or a year if you include the Master Planner, Inhumas and Galactus stories).  I had never read comics this good.  I was hooked.

SA Batman and DC war my dad gave me. Then buying Amazing Spider-Man #3 off the rack. All Marvels except Thor. Then I got my first MAD magazine. That was it. I had to have them all. I became a collector at that point searching out back issues until I completed the run. The rest is just history...

Just something that I enjoyed reading and took to naturally.

First comic I recall collecting - Conan

First run that got me hooked, which I really looked forward to reading each month - Claremont / Byrne X-Men.

Edited by Ken Aldred

40 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

ASM 24 through 27; Spidey Goes Mad, JJJ's Robot, and the Crime-Master story arc - then a few month later ASM 31-33 Master Planner storyline.
FF 39 through 43; A Blind Man Shall Lead Them, The Battle of the Baxter Building, and the Frightful Four trilogy The Brutal Betrayal of Ben Grimm - then followed by the Inhumans and Galactus/Silver Surfer.
X-Men 12 & 13 -the Juggernaut storyline -then followed by the Sentinels trilogy.
JIM 118 & 119 -the Destroyer storyline.
DD 9-11 -Wally Wood ('Nuff Said).

All this unfolded pretty much at once, within a 6 month period (or a year if you include the Master Planner, Inhumas and Galactus stories).  I had never read comics this good.  I was hooked.

That was a pretty exceptional six-month period. Or year.

Nice.

You'd never get that these days. :preach:

Edited by Ken Aldred

my neighbor Jim and some other kids on the block collected them-- read them to death/shared the books.

I knew of them through my older cousin who had a real cool collection. I remember looking at his X-Men books in amazement many years before I got into it. He brought over an ASM 77 that I had ingrained on my brain. Just wish I had gotten into the X-Men at the right time and then held onto the books-- missed out on GSXM1 and had some I bought off the racks around 100-112 (sold them)-- just wasn't a big fan for some reason.

I was around 9 or 10 when I started buying. I was into Daredevil and Thor. Everyone was into Spider-man but as far as runs, I wanted any Thor I could get my hands on. Captain America also was a favorite. There was some innate Kirby covers influencing what I liked from the start.

I remember a field trip the class took in grade 4.  Some of the boys brought comics books, and they were having a discussion with my elderly teacher, who was saying that he read Captain America as a younger man.  I decided that was very cool, and I wanted to get in on that.  I started buying comics after the Keeton Batman movie, but by grade 6, everyone had stopped reading them but me, and the kid with a moustache.

I started with the weak stuff, that was supposed to be non-addictive - the dailies in the newspapers, Sunday funnies and paperbacks.

Little did I know that they were gateway drugs into Hell. :sorry:

The Ross Andru run of Spidey, reprinted in 'Spider-Man Comics Weekly'. Their charm still charms me to this day. That and the reruns of the cartoon. 

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.09f35913c8e49ee846343e1446d2b6b2.jpg

My earliest memories of comics were Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck books that my folks bought me to keep me occupied on a long car ride to Florida for summer vacation. Those are the first comics I remember reading, but they didn't get the collecting bug going at that time. That would come a few years later.

I was a copper age kid (but no, not a CopperAgeKid) so I grew up with the Transformers and G.I. Joe cartoons and toys, which I was absolutely obsessed with. Some kids on a bus ride told me about comics where they had stories about the characters that were different from the cartoons, that seemed more adult and interesting. So I started grabbing those off of newsstands as well as the three packs you'd find at toy stores. It wasn't long before I had a decent sized collection of the toy based comics. Within those comics, I saw ads in the books for characters like Wolverine and Cerebus, and the pictures got me interested enough that I grabbed some X-men off of the newsstand as well. That was the seed, firmly planted.

My best friend had older brothers who collected comics, and they would go to a store that actually ONLY SOLD COMIC BOOKS. So one weekend when I spent the night at their place, their dad took us all to the comic book shop that Saturday. I was in love, and fully, 100% hooked. I would do anything to scrounge up some cash, cut lawns, recycle cans, whatever I could do, and then beg my folks to take me back to that magical shop so I could spend my loot. Those were still the days when $5 or so would buy you a few new books plus tons of stuff out of the quarter bins, maybe even a poster or something. Magical times, for sure.

I ended up working at the shop as one of my first jobs out of high school. The magic faded a bit, but I still cherish those early memories.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

My earliest memories of comics were Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck books that my folks bought me to keep me occupied on a long car ride to Florida for summer vacation. Those are the first comics I remember reading, but they didn't get the collecting bug going at that time. That would come a few years later.

I was a copper age kid (but no, not a CopperAgeKid) so I grew up with the Transformers and G.I. Joe cartoons and toys, which I was absolutely obsessed with. Some kids on a bus ride told me about comics where they had stories about the characters that were different from the cartoons, that seemed more adult and interesting. So I started grabbing those off of newsstands as well as the three packs you'd find at toy stores. It wasn't long before I had a decent sized collection of the toy based comics. Within those comics, I saw ads in the books for characters like Wolverine and Cerebus, and the pictures got me interested enough that I grabbed some X-men off of the newsstand as well. That was the seed, firmly planted.

My best friend had older brothers who collected comics, and they would go to a store that actually ONLY SOLD COMIC BOOKS. So one weekend when I spent the night at their place, their dad took us all to the comic book shop that Saturday. I was in love, and fully, 100% hooked. I would do anything to scrounge up some cash, cut lawns, recycle cans, whatever I could do, and then beg my folks to take me back to that magical shop so I could spend my loot. Those were still the days when $5 or so would buy you a few new books plus tons of stuff out of the quarter bins, maybe even a poster or something. Magical times, for sure.

I ended up working at the shop as one of my first jobs out of high school. The magic faded a bit, but I still cherish those early memories.

That's what I had $5 a week to spend!

But that was when you could get about 8 books or more for that price! it was great finding xmen issues from the 150s & 160s in the 25c bin!

Loved the transformers & GI Joe Cartoons!

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

The Ross Andru run of Spidey, reprinted in 'Spider-Man Comics Weekly'. Their charm still charms me to this day. That and the reruns of the cartoon. 

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.09f35913c8e49ee846343e1446d2b6b2.jpg

That cartoon was probably my introduction to Spider-man! 

2 minutes ago, comics4all said:

That cartoon was probably my introduction to Spider-man! 

Brilliant wasn't it. A bit like the early comics. Crude, but full of charm. :cloud9:

17 hours ago, comics4all said:

What got you hooked on comics?

What was the 1st comic you remember collecting?

What was the 1st comic or comic run that really got you hooked?

Nothing in particular got me hooked on comics as a kid , looking at comics was a natural as looking at girls, baseball, apple pie and hot dogs

6 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Nothing in particular got me hooked on comics as a kid , looking at comics was a natural as looking at girls, baseball, apple pie and hot dogs

Preach on Brother!

4 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

The Ross Andru run of Spidey, reprinted in 'Spider-Man Comics Weekly'. Their charm still charms me to this day.

I still have fond memories of reading the issues featuring Stegron; 165 and 166.

Strange ones to be that way about, but I suspect it's also because they're the first issues I ever saw over here as imported American cent copies, shortly afterwards.

I did enjoy them, though.

Edited by Ken Aldred