• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 300

34 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, poppy73 said:

The grades are in. Spider got an 8.5. I was gunning for a 9.0 but no joy. 

Are you going to keep it? ASM in this grade seem to be going for about $300, I only have a lowly 8.0, so you've got me beat either way ^^

Oh and thanks for getting some graded lol with this grading contest going on right now, it's nice to see if some of my estimates on grades were correct :) I originally had 8.5 on this one and went to 8.0. Makes me wonder why mine got 8.0 though, it only had one pretty bad spine tick on the front that didn't go to the back :( 

8 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Are you going to keep it? ASM in this grade seem to be going for about $300, I only have a lowly 8.0, so you've got me beat either way ^^

Oh and thanks for getting some graded lol with this grading contest going on right now, it's nice to see if some of my estimates on grades were correct :) I originally had 8.5 on this one and went to 8.0. Makes me wonder why mine got 8.0 though, it only had one pretty bad spine tick on the front that didn't go to the back :( 

I was hoping for a 9 but the corners were severely blunted. I had also submitted a copy of new mutants that came back 9.6. I really expected a 9.8. Oh well the gods have spoken. Congrats on your guess. You nailed it! In the future I may just start buying 9.8's from eBay. It seems everything I send in comes in lower than my expectations. 

On 8/3/2017 at 2:08 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I saw an 8.5 CGC copy on mycomicshop.com selling for $425 I think. A CGC 9.4 copy was only priced at $525. Hard to believe I know. Plus mine is a Newsstand copy which might not mean much at the moment but there are rumblings about newsstand copies receiving some special recognition in the near future. First by CBCS and then CGC, I can't recall where I read that but it was recently. To answer your first question I am going to keep it. I keep all of my comics duds and all but this one will go on my wall of fame. I've only been collecting for a couple of years so my collection is growing quickly but it's such an addicting and fun hobby I can't stop myself. How long have you collected? Are you keeping your 8.0 300 book?

wall.jpg

@poppy73I read them as a kid and was around when the ASM 300 came out lol but everywhere like 7-11 and grocery stores must have been sold out or didn't carry them. My parents wouldn't take me by comic book stores except once in a blue moon. To answer your question, I first got back into collecting late 2014, I kept eyeing ASM 300 but it seemed to fluctuate a litte for raw copies; between a nice raw going for $150 to $175 and I kept wanting to get a "cheap" copy lol I'd bid on several, like you searching for a newstand, and I finally settled on a copy that looked in the 9 range and got it graded (it wasn't newstand). As I had just got back into collecting, I didn't feel that I knew enough to make big purchases, and close to a couple hundred was all i was prepared to spend. Plus I hadn't found these boards yet lol 

Well even though it had 1 tick it turned out a 8.0 and I figured I needed to get better at grading etc., so I guess to answer your 2nd question I'm keeping it, as if I tried to upgrade---prices right now would intimidate me :) I'm still saving for a higher grade IH 181 after that I might go for more copper's like ASM 300 and 238 and NM 87, along with a modern the NYX 3

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

37 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@poppy73I read them as a kid and was around when the ASM 300 came out lol but everywhere like 7-11 and grocery stores must have been sold out or didn't carry them. My parents wouldn't take me by comic book stores except once in a blue moon. To answer your question, I first got back into collecting late 2014, I kept eyeing ASM 300 but it seemed to fluctuate a litte for raw copies; between a nice raw going for $150 to $175 and I kept wanting to get a "cheap" copy lol I'd bid on several, like you searching for a newstand, and I finally settled on a copy that looked in the 9 range and got it graded (it wasn't newstand). As I had just got back into collecting, I didn't feel that I knew enough to make big purchases, and close to a couple hundred was all i was prepared to spend. Plus I hadn't found these boards yet lol 

Well even though it had 1 tick it turned out a 8.0 and I figured I needed to get better at grading etc., so I guess to answer your 2nd question I'm keeping it, as if I tried to upgrade---prices right now would intimidate me :) I'm still saving for a higher grade IH 181 after that I might go for more copper's like ASM 300 and 238 and NM 87, along with a modern the NYX 3

IH 181 is a hot book. I'd love to own one. I also collect coins so I have to split my budget between my two hobbies. Hey at least they're hobbies that are worth money after you buy them and that tend to increase in price. Look at ASM 300 in the last 30 days as an example of a comic that blew up. I'd like a nice signed copy of ASM 252. I've always loved that cover. My all time favorite I think though is ASM 41 which intro's the Rhino. There is a nice 7.5 on mycomicshop for $403 at the moment that I may pick up if it's available after I get my daughter moved off to FSU.

5 minutes ago, poppy73 said:

IH 181 is a hot book. I'd love to own one. I also collect coins so I have to split my budget between my two hobbies. Hey at least they're hobbies that are worth money after you buy them and that tend to increase in price. Look at ASM 300 in the last 30 days as an example of a comic that blew up. I'd like a nice signed copy of ASM 252. I've always loved that cover. My all time favorite I think though is ASM 41 which intro's the Rhino. There is a nice 7.5 on mycomicshop for $403 at the moment that I may pick up if it's available after I get my daughter moved off to FSU.

ASM 252 is nice :) and there was another book that came out the same month or something that was also the first appearance of the "black costume", but surely 252 will win out as it is the nicer cover :) I have 9.6 newstand. It's nice that you have your priorities in place, as I've said before! The Rhino is nice and has made quite a few appearances in spidey cartoons, if I was going to go for a SA ASM it would be 31, I dislike the cover but just because I guess I alway's prefered Gwen over Jane :) I just sent to CGC some lower grade 97 and 98, but got to thinking that there is no real upside, as Movie hype or the such will never happen. Other than them being not approved by the comic authority, I don't know how it will ever grow, unless the age (which is a fickle factor) or rare in high grade.... I understand that not everything is for profit, but I'd be mistaken if I said it wasn't part of it!

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

ASM 252 is nice :) and there was another book that came out the same month or something that was also the first appearance of the "black costume", but surely 252 will win out as it is the nicer cover :) I have 9.6 newstand. It's nice that you have your priorities in place, as I've said before! The Rhino is nice and has made quite a few appearances in spidey cartoons, if I was going to go for a SA ASM it would be 31, I dislike the cover but just because I guess I alway's prefered Gwen over Jane :) I just sent to CGC some lower grade 97 and 98, but got to thinking that there is no real upside, as Movie hype or the such will never happen. Other than them being not approved by the comic authority, I don't know how it will ever grow, unless the age (which is a fickle factor) or rare in high grade.... I understand that not everything is for profit, but I'd be mistaken if I said it wasn't part of it!

As far as the other black costume issue, I believe you're thinking of Secret Wars 8. I have a beautiful raw copy of that issue. Spidey is on the cover in the Symbiote black suit.  My other favorite covers are 41,50, 51, 121, 129, 300 of course. I also liked the all black issue that was introduced after 9/11 as a tribute. That was issue 36 from the second series. mycomicshop has a 9.9 cgc copy priced and $600 I believe. 9.9's and 10's are like unicorns. Sometimes I'll go to eBay and just plug into the search engine "9.9 cgc" and see what comics pop up that are graded 9.9. It'll show you which books made the grade. There are a bunch of "All Star Batman" issues with super high grades. I'm not sure why but you'll see a lot of the caped crusader.

4 minutes ago, poppy73 said:

As far as the other black costume issue, I believe you're thinking of Secret Wars 8. I have a beautiful raw copy of that issue. Spidey is on the cover in the Symbiote black suit.  My other favorite covers are 41,50, 51, 121, 129, 300 of course. I also liked the all black issue that was introduced after 9/11 as a tribute. That was issue 36 from the second series. mycomicshop has a 9.9 cgc copy priced and $600 I believe. 9.9's and 10's are like unicorns. Sometimes I'll go to eBay and just plug into the search engine "9.9 cgc" and see what comics pop up that are graded 9.9. It'll show you which books made the grade. There are a bunch of "All Star Batman" issues with super high grades. I'm not sure why but you'll see a lot of the caped crusader.

what I meant was the "first black costume" the same reason that ASM 252 is a key....

this link will take you to a comic that came out the same time as the 252 and it say's the same on the CGC label as the ASM 252, first black costume, Marvel Team-Up 141... just fyi, I don't know if it will get the same recognition as 252 but people seem to be buying copies left and right lol 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Team-Up-141-1st-Black-Suit-CGC-9-6-NM-W-Pages-FREE-SHIPPING-/162620425576?hash=item25dceec568:g:SfAAAOSwnSxZh3lJ

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

what I meant was the "first black costume" the same reason that ASM 252 is a key....

this link will take you to a comic that came out the same time as the 252 and it say's the same on the CGC label as the ASM 252, first black costume, Marvel Team-Up 141... just fyi, I don't know if it will get the same recognition as 252 but people seem to be buying copies left and right lol 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Team-Up-141-1st-Black-Suit-CGC-9-6-NM-W-Pages-FREE-SHIPPING-/162620425576?hash=item25dceec568:g:SfAAAOSwnSxZh3lJ

Wow I have never seen that issue. You've peaked my curiosity. Thanks for the heads up and the information. I'll check it out for sure!

On 8/3/2017 at 2:08 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

By the way I'm copying the grader notes for your benefit from my 8.5 ASM 300. After all the problems I'm pleasantly surprised I got the grade I did. crease right top of front cover
crease spine breaks color
crease top of front cover
multiple crease left bottom of back cover breaks color
very small crease left top of back cover breaks color

1 minute ago, poppy73 said:

By the way I'm copying the grader notes for your benefit from my 8.5 ASM 300. After all the problems I'm pleasantly surprised I got the grade I did. crease right top of front cover
crease spine breaks color
crease top of front cover
multiple crease left bottom of back cover breaks color
very small crease left top of back cover breaks color

dang then I'm definitely going to have to check mine lol I don't maybe it wasn't in as good of shape as I thought 

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

dang then I'm definitely going to have to check mine lol I don't maybe it wasn't in as good of shape as I thought 

For sure. I also collect the Marvel Star Wars 001 variant covers. There were nearly 100 I believe and some of them are quite rare and are worth a lot of money especially in 9.8. Anything lower and there value goes kaput. I also collect the Star Wars Action Figure Comic book Variant covers by John Tyler Christopher. It's going to be a couple of years before he's in my neck of the woods again so I'll wait until then and get the top ten action figure variants signed by JTC and witnessed by a cgc rep and send them off for grading. But going forward I'm still going to buy books that are already graded rather than go through the waiting game followed by deep disappointment.