• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BABYTEETH by Donny Cates and Aftershock comics
1 1

30 posts in this topic

BABYTEETH by Donny Cates and Aftershock comics

Just read issue #1 and was pleasantly surprised by the start of this story. The story read a lot faster than God Country #1 and the art had ups and downs. Mostly ups. Cates is genuinely funny. There is a part in the book where...

Spoiler

...the baby comes and the mom decides to name him Clark. Her dad comes into the room and assumed that she named the boy after the great grandfather. Nope, after Superman which is what went through my head the minute I read it. Priceless lol...

I also noticed the baby has the same eyes as the Black Eyed Kids. Are they connected ? Not likely, but its an Aftershock book and who knows how long its been in the making. He had written more than 12 issues of Redneck before issue #1 even hit the shelves at your favorite LCS...

...and that's exactly why I'll be back for issue #2.  This is the 4th Donny Cates book I've started this year and each has had high quality storytelling. 

Agreed - was thinking about getting one of the many store variants, but decided to just buy regular Torque cover from my LCS and read for the story. Was a great read - wanted more! Got faked out when the remaining 6-7 pages weren't story, but behind-the-scenes process! (Haha which was interesting in its own right). 

Late to the game on God Country, but probably going to pickup the trade in Aug. The year of Donny Cates!

I picked this up too... I don't know, I mean, it wasn't bad, but I'm surprised to see so many comments in this thread about the issue. 

Oddly, the main thing I appreciated about it for being a first issue is that it didn't have a crazy cliffhanger. Not to say they aren't trying to build suspense or raise questions, just that it didn't feel hyped up.

Does anyone have a count on the number of different variants produced here...?  Looks like maybe 40 different covers (if not more)?  Every time  I look I see another one...!  WOW.

I guess it's a bad sign when even the ashcan gets a second run!

Looks like it is the new "We Can Never Go Home"

That book has a TON of variants...great book and all but way too many covers.

I have a copy of this at home. I read the preview and was interested so I am looking forward to reading the full issue.

This book caught absolutely nobody by surprise (as evidenced by the mountain of retailer variants) - I'm sure the print run is excessive.  The bigger question:  How do the combined print runs on the main covers (1A and 1:10 RI cover) compare to the combined print runs of all of the retailer covers?  That would be interesting to know.

On 2017-06-09 at 2:43 PM, fastballspecial said:

I'd like to see the print run as well anyone sell out at lcs yet? I still have quite a bit locally.

I bought the Torque cover on Wed at my LCS - stopped by today as I was in the area, and they still had 6 or 7 copies left. 

On 6/8/2017 at 2:37 PM, artistlost said:

Looks like it is the new "We Can Never Go Home"

That book has a TON of variants...great book and all but way too many covers.

I have a copy of this at home. I read the preview and was interested so I am looking forward to reading the full issue.

I agree.  This books started too much like a Black Mask book.  They even have an overpriced "Black" variant.  I liked the story, but I really hope that Aftershock is not heading this way....