• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BABYTEETH by Donny Cates and Aftershock comics
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Picked up Issue 2 yesterday, liked it. They're definitely starting to dig in and develop the story and characters. Liked #2 better than #1, planning on sticking with the book for now.

18 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

I'm enjoying the story well enough so far, but I'm having a tough time with the art for whatever reason.

I see what you mean, it's a bit "rough around the edges", although I think the style generally suits the content here (this being the whole anti-christ after all).  

3 hours ago, CKinTO said:

I see what you mean, it's a bit "rough around the edges", although I think the style generally suits the content here (this being the whole anti-christ after all).  

I vacillate on whether it is the inks or the coloring that is putting me off, or maybe their combined result. I don't know that I'd say it is 'bad' so much as maybe I need to get used to it. I haven't decided.

Cates is at it again. Great start to this story and his character building is off the charts imo. You feel for his people quickly in each book. The art was nothing great but not bad either. This is a series I thought I'd find a reason to drop due to the subject matter. Instead, its moving up the read pile. I like Redneck better but this might end up being as good as God Country ( which was great ) so stay tuned. (thumbsu

Really enjoyed #3 yesterday, was at the top of my read pile this past Wed. Really starting to move the story along now!

Spoiler

Interesting plotline that the baby only drinks blood, rejected Heather's blood, and that any "parenting mistakes" by Sadie have consequences (ie. portals from hell opening up!)

Also liking the further development of the organization that's sending the assassin - curious if they had anything to do with the father, or something else entirely (thinking something else, has he looked like something exploded out of his stomach on the last page!)

Dunno what it means that it's just me posting here from Issue 3 and Issue 4, hah! But picked up Issue 4 yesterday - continuing to move the plot along at a decent pace.

Spoiler

Enjoying the interplay between Sadie's dad (turns out to be a Marine and can kick some butt!) and Sadie. He clearly loves her and means well and wants to do everything to support her, but definitely understandable how difficult it would be to believe Sadie's story...  As a father of a baby girl, I could empathize even more! As many of articles / reviews of Donny Cates has mentioned, he really shines in exploring character relationships and making you feel for them.

This and Mister Miracle are at the top of my reading piles these days and I continue to enjoy it.

Just checked comichron (sales from Diamond to retailers), and Issue 1 sold 26.5k copies, Issue 2 sold 10.7k and Issue 3 sold 8.2k. Assume that's sustainable for Aftershock (as Issue 3 was still their #1 book in August) - hopefully it keeps going!

For comparison, Redneck #5 sold 13.4k copies in August.