• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dark Knight Returns #1 cover OA
1 1

27 posts in this topic

I believe I read something about it here a few months ago.  If I recall correctly, someone here said they saw it in person, it's still in Miller's possession(?) and it was actually a painted piece and pretty large (I had always believed it was a production piece with no appreciable original art).

Belongs to Varley who has ties to Mitch I.  Couldn't tell you if it was sold.   Just from looking at it you can tell it's airbrushed backgrounds.   I think (?) there was some discussion perhaps by Mitch that the figure was on ink, possibly on a separate board(?).

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

Belongs to Varley who has ties to Mitch I.  Couldn't tell you if it was sold.   Just from looking at it you can tell it's airbrushed backgrounds.   I think (?) there was some discussion perhaps by Mitch that the figure was on ink, possibly on a separate board(?).

I believe all questions were answered to the buyer's satisfaction at the time of the sale. IMO, it's the published cover, that's what's most important.

30 minutes ago, Nexus said:

I believe all questions were answered to the buyer's satisfaction at the time of the sale. IMO, it's the published cover, that's what's most important.

Well baseless speculation is what this forum was founded on dagnabbit!   

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

Well baseless speculation is what this forum was founded on dagnabbit!   

Ha! Well, I think there were always some questions as to what the cover was or wasn't. AFAIK, that's all been settled for the buyer. So the rest of us will just have to guess.

My DKR Artist's Edition (oops...I mean "Gallery Edition") is packed up right now. I don't remember if the cover was reproduced inside. But it was used as the cover for a variant edition, so it's available to see that way, at least.

So do you mean to say the original is on a single board; figure based on a miller drawing but not by Miller on the published art? 

57 minutes ago, Bronty said:

So do you mean to say the original is on a single board; figure based on a miller drawing but not by Miller on the published art? 

I can't speak to exactly how the painting was produced. The rough included in the book is very loosely drawn. Not a final by any means.

Mitch described it as this four years ago...

On 5/22/2013 at 1:27 PM, Shemp said:
  artdealer said:
The DKR #1 cover is a collaboration between FM and Lynn Varley. Frank pencilled the Batman, Lynn painted the cover.

MI

Edited by Shemp