• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Fav/BEST SA Cover of all time? Here's Mine!
4 4

179 posts in this topic

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:10 AM, Jaylam said:

It just seems to me that in general, the covers of Silver Age books had better composition and a better use of colors. As we got into the 70's, the covers seemed to get too cluttered and busy and the art looked rushed or sloppy. The simplicity and artistic creativity that made the books from the 60's "pop" was mostly lost. Now don't get me wrong, there were some exceptions to this, but the trend seemed to be going the wrong way as a whole. 

Couldn't agree more. Silver Age Marvels generally had beautiful compositions often with Shakespearean or Biblical story titles on carefully rendered scrolls by Artie Simek or Sam Rosen. In the 70's, apart from the cluttered, busy, rushed and sloppy covers, we had to suffer an unending series of speech bubbles and blurbs pronouncing "kill", "death", "die". I don't know if it worked for Marvel at the time but it sure doesn't cut it now!

On 11/28/2017 at 3:09 AM, Jaylam said:

The dialog in this full page panel from this issue is worth the price of admission alone. 

image.jpeg.027746520e652787863b22d37f2e1098.jpeg

coincidentally enough, this page is now up for sale in the Heritage May Signature Auction;

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jack-kirby-and-vince-colletta-thor-126-splash-page-9-hercules-original-art-marvel-1966-/a/7187-91026.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

15 hours ago, Sal said:

I noticed that too!

I have never purchased any original art -- I find it somewhat scary because I have absolutely no idea how to confidently assess the value of anything.  I couldn't begin to guess what a piece like this might sell for (bidding is already at $17,000 which is over $20,000 with the buyer's premium).

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

4 hours ago, evilskip said:

There are sooo many and it is difficult to pick just one. I'd love to find a cheap, slabbed copy to go with this one:

hawk9hg.jpg

Ah good ol' Murph, Hawkman Vol. 1 saw some of his greatest art and covers 20 being my favorite. But still nothing can beat classic Kubert.

B&B34 2.5.jpeg

B&B35 2.0.jpeg

10 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I noticed that too!

I have never purchased any original art -- I find it somewhat scary because I have absolutely no idea how to confidently assess the value of anything.  I couldn't begin to guess what a piece like this might sell for (bidding is already at $17,000 which is over $20,000 with the buyer's premium).

It’s going to go for big $$$ despite the Colletta inks.  :D

49 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

It’s going to go for big $$$ despite the Colletta inks.  :D

Wait, now you've really piqued my interest.

I always enjoyed Colletta's distinctive inks on Thor.  I'm guessing Sinnott's work on FF is probably preferred by most, and it really is beautiful work, but I never thought of Colletta's inks as "bad."  Is there some consensus I wasn't aware of that collectors don't like Colletta?

He was actually decent on Thor.  Colletta gets a (deservedly) bad rap, though.  He was fast so that’s probably why Marvel kept him around.  He cut a lot of corners.  A lot of the artists he worked with didn’t like what he did to their stuff. 

From Wiki:

Writer Len Wein told an interviewer what he enjoyed most about working on Luke Cage was, "Getting to work with the wonderful George Tuska, before Vinnie Colletta got his hands on the pencils and ruined them".[19]

Sinnott is the preferred Kirby inker by most (myself included).