• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Fav/BEST SA Cover of all time? Here's Mine!
4 4

179 posts in this topic

What is your Fav/BEST SA Cover of all time? Here's Mine!

What is your absolutely Fav/BEST SA Cover of all time??? You must have it now or owned at one time to qualify ;)

Here's mine Amazing Spiderman #50  "first Kingpin  #iconic #classic cover. Very very tough to put a Silver AGe comic above this one in cover awesomeness

What's your candidate? Show me show me

Pablo

IG: @Dreamtoreal1

IMG_3194.PNG

9 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

So many great ones to choose from.  Beautiful book, BTW. 

From what I have available photos for at the moment, has to be one of these 2:

af15cgc25front_zps22e0540c.jpg

ASM39.jpg

oh nice. Beautiful books! Yes I have Amazing Fantasy 15 ranked #2 because I discovered later that this was his first appearance. After watching Spiderman #2 With Tobey Maguire I remember buying a low grade copy of Spiderman #50 as my first love :)   . That Spiderman #39 is also super cool. Prob a top 10 for me as well. thanks for sharing

2 hours ago, Timeless icons said:

I like the Tec 31 homage cover of Batman 227 and the Silver Surfer 4 cover was always a favorite.(thumbsu

Batman_227.jpg

detail.jpg

oh yeah I forgot about batman 227 but that's still silver age?. that's a copy I need to get this year.  thanks for sharing

I would third that JIM 89 but I don't own it. :frown:  That, like the ASM 28, really needs to be higher grade for its gentle beauty to really shine, and finding an affordable JIM 89 that is high grade is no easy task.  Some, like the Avengers 4, can be in a lower grade and still look really good.  I think the reason is that on the Avengers 4 the coolness comes from the composition and lines, whereas on the other two the beauty comes from the colors and hues.

My addition to the thread:

Scan0005.thumb.jpg.7083e24cd7851ae6be4ef1e846b05e61.jpg

The best early silver-age artist is Jack Kirby, with Ditko being second due to more limited output (His Spiderman I actually like better than anything by Kirby).  However, Wally Wood, if he had been more productive, could have made it a three way battle.  He reminds me of Paul Smith in that his lines are very clean and how everything looks carefully planned.  His DD run was really special.  In an alternate universe I would have loved to see a WW run on X-Men starting at issue 20 to about the late 40's or so.  His style would have really fit that book and elevated, imo, what was a pretty lackluster series (minus a few bright spots here and there).

2 hours ago, SpideyFein said:

The JIM is classic, along with SS4. Besides my Spideys, I love these two. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I remember going to my first con on the east side of Indianapolis in the mid-80s when I was in fifth grade, and seeing Avengers #57 up as a wall book.  I think that it cost $40, and I used almost half of my budget on that one book, but it was the coolest cover I'd ever seen and it was well worth it.  

On 6/9/2017 at 2:02 PM, chrisco37 said:

So many great ones to choose from.  Beautiful book, BTW. 

From what I have available photos for at the moment, has to be one of these 2:

af15cgc25front_zps22e0540c.jpg

Awwwww, come on! That's not even a good cover let alone a candidate for the best.

It's neither colourful nor dynamic. Moreover Jack Kirby was absolutely, positively not the right artist for Spider-Man. In fact, the vast majority of Silver Age Amazing Spider-Man covers are better than that one.

:preach: