• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Fav/BEST SA Cover of all time? Here's Mine!
4 4

179 posts in this topic

On 10/06/2017 at 8:18 AM, Readcomix said:

My gut, no-think answer

image.jpeg

This is the winner.

Why? Because it was genius. 

The Avengers were already an impressive gathering of heroes, and then the House of Ideas made it even better by bringing back one of the greatest Golden Age icons. 

This was no mere revision of a GA hero (such as Fash or Green Lantern) but the original.

In true Marvel style, the cover still leaps out at you. It is as fresh and evocative as the day it arrived at newsstands.

Flawless.

On 7/14/2017 at 3:49 AM, BuscemasAvengers said:

No contest ... black background, 2 iconic characters about to set off a tremor that stunned the comic-covers world in the late 60's; just for the record, Noran makes contact with Thor before the Asgardian can connect with Mjolnir, knocking him arse over tea kettle  ...

20170714_050553_resized.jpg

beautiful book!  (worship)

On 7/14/2017 at 3:49 AM, BuscemasAvengers said:

No contest ... black background, 2 iconic characters about to set off a tremor that stunned the comic-covers world in the late 60's; just for the record, Noran makes contact with Thor before the Asgardian can connect with Mjolnir, knocking him arse over tea kettle  ...

20170714_050553_resized.jpg

spoiler alert?

lol

World's Finest #142   hm

wf142f.jpg

First time I saw this cover was this morning in the contest prize thread. It is pretty wacky.

I noticed a few things-- first, the guy is asking to join them or he will expose their identities (blackmail). Second, he is destroying Batman's jet, and last of all-- why bother getting Batman's powers (he has none- though I suppose he could take his money)?

Edited by 01TheDude

This Infantino cover with the purple background screams Silver Age.

163742-18058-112609-1-detective-comics.J

And I would also add this epicness from Steranko ...

2710028-nick_fury_aos__4.jpg

And how can the elegant composition of Action 252 not be part of the debate?

latest?cb=20060811145127

Hands down, my favorite Kirby SA cover -- love the yellow background which makes the red and blue pop to life!

FF4.jpg

And finally, a scene you will never forget!  See ... The defeat of Spider-Man!

2676441-amazingspiderman009.jpg

Edited by zosocane

I have to go with these two hands down. Got both on the boards too!

Honorary mentions: journey into mystery 83 and 111, fantastic four 1 and 5, asm 9 and 14, silversurfer 4 and action comics 242

IMG_9057.JPG

IMG_3030.PNG

Edited by BoomCity

one of my undercopies.  i don't consider myself a GGA aficionado per se, but this cover has always made me stop and check my bank balance when i see one for sale

showcase79_copya_front.jpg

On 8/20/2017 at 11:03 PM, BoomCity said:

I have to go with these two hands down. Got both on the boards too!

Honorary mentions: journey into mystery 83 and 111, fantastic four 1 and 5, asm 9 and 14, silversurfer 4 and action comics 242

IMG_9057.JPG

IMG_3030.PNG

oh yes. I am with you. those are two beauties!