• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Fav/BEST SA Cover of all time? Here's Mine!
4 4

179 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

How about the prequel?  Oh the SUSPENSE  :fear:!!!!!   You can feel the tension!  Gotta buy it to see what happens in the next 2 seconds!!!!

Cover for Fantastic Four (Marvel, 1961 series) #12 [Regular Edition]

I own that book now but F.F. 12 was published before I was interested in/or even looking at comics and IMO the cover of F.F.12 does not have the "WOW" effect of #25 that caught my eye as a youth.

Edited by marvelmaniac

55 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

I own that book now but F.F. 12 was published before I was interested in/or even looking at comics and IMO the cover of F.F.12 does not have the "WOW" effect of #25 that caught my eye as a youth.

The books that we saw in our youth always seem to have more lasting impact than ones that we encounter later in life.  I saw neither one as a kid so I'm biased towards the 12...

3 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

The books that we saw in our youth always seem to have more lasting impact than ones that we encounter later in life.  

Very, very true! That's what makes the exercise of picking the best covers from the Silver Age even more difficult.

(shrug)

4 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

mag4.jpg

I remember this book well as a boy.  The local corner store (Hi Mr. Sherman :hi:) had a copy and it stayed high above the cash for several years.  At 3 times+ the cost of a regular comic book, it's easy to see why.  I'm sure that had it been down with the magazines near the comics it would have still been there after the same amount of time but with a substantially more wear and tear from all of the kids leafing through it lol

Just now, pemart1966 said:

I remember this book well as a boy.  The local corner store (Hi Mr. Sherman :hi:) had a copy and it stayed high above the cash for several years.  At 3 times+ the cost of a regular comic book, it's easy to see why.  I'm sure that had it been down with the magazines near the comics it would have still been there after the same amount of time but with a substantially more wear and tear from all of the kids leafing through it lol

The cover alone makes it worth 3X the cost of a regular comic book. The story is great also. That's a cool story about you seeing it at your LCS.

1 minute ago, Jordysnordy said:

The cover alone makes it worth 3X the cost of a regular comic book. The story is great also. That's a cool story about you seeing it at your LCS.

I saw a lot of stuff at that corner store - all in 10.0 w/white pages  lol

I got my money to buy comics by picking up 2 cent pop bottles.  He would not take single bottles.  You had to have 6 bottles (12 cents) in order to get $.  It would have taken me a loooong time to gather up enough bottles to afford that book so as such, I couldn't justify the expenditure for the unknown return.  I must admit though that every time I went to the cash, I took a look at that book wondering what it was like inside.  It was only as an adult that I found out - now I'll have to sit down and read it as opposed to just leafing through it.  lol

1 minute ago, pemart1966 said:

I saw a lot of stuff at that corner store - all in 10.0 w/white pages  lol

I got my money to buy comics by picking up 2 cent pop bottles.  He would not take single bottles.  You had to have 6 bottles (12 cents) in order to get $.  It would have taken me a loooong time to gather up enough bottles to afford that book so as such, I couldn't justify the expenditure for the unknown return.  I must admit though that every time I went to the cash, I took a look at that book wondering what it was like inside.  It was only as an adult that I found out - now I'll have to sit down and read it as opposed to just leafing through it.  lol

The 49 year wait will be worth it. To boot, the 11/68 date is my birthday month and year.

53 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

The 49 year wait will be worth it. To boot, the 11/68 date is my birthday month and year.

Unfortunately, you missed the Silver Age and for that you have my sympathy, but since clearly you have discovered what a great era it was you have my respect for your good taste (thumbsu

On 6/14/2017 at 11:42 AM, Jeffro. said:

I'm partial to greytones :luhv:

Brave_and_the_Bold_v.1_22.jpg

Nothing wrong with that! :headbang:

Stunning work by Grandenetti! :applause:

On 6/14/2017 at 2:06 AM, adamstrange said:

All good to great covers, with the exception of Mystery in Space 55 which I thoroughly dislike. Alanna is a beautiful girl, yet she looks ugly on that cover. Moreover why is Adam Strange drawn with such a big nose?

Overall I'd say that grey tone covers worked great for Sea Devils because of the underwater setting and for war covers because they capture the dreariness, but I just don't thing grey tone covers work very well for superheroes since their bright garb shouldn't be washed out. And I do hate the covers to Wonder Woman 108 and Green Lantern 8 as well. In fact, let's contrast the cover of Green Lantern 8 to that of a later issue with a similar cover concept:

GreenLantern8.jpg

13-06-2011105004PM.jpg

I hate the first cover but love the second.

:juggle: