• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wrightson and Kirby Original Art Update

31 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Had some time today, so I thought I'd update you all on a couple of recent acquisitions that I'm really happy about. Not exactly cheap, but worth the price!

First up.... The first Wrightson Swamp Thing splash page. From Issue #1, of course, that features the origin of the Swamp Thing. We see him in the shadows waiting for the men who "killed him". A classic and memorable page from Wrightson's most famous comic "superhero" work.

swampy1.jpg

Next up is probably the most "historic" piece of art that I'm proud and truly honored to own. This is, in my opinion, the best page from Fantastic Four #5, the issue to show us Dr. Doom for the first time. Here's the large art Chapter 5 splash page with the FF and Dr. Doom. The only other splash page from this issue with Dr. Doom is the Chapter 1 splash, which was unfortunately destroyed long ago (the top half was the part with Doom on it, and was ripped off). So, I'm honored to own the only remaining Doom splash from that great issue, as Chapter 2,3, and 4 splashes didn't have Doom on them. I really love this page, and still can't believe I have something so early and historic (1962! Before all the Marvel characters except the Hulk and Ant-Man!)

ff5.jpg

Enjoy!

--

Hari Naidu, MD

www.nighthawkcomics.com

Hi everyone,

Had some time today, so I thought I'd update you all on a couple of recent acquisitions that I'm really happy about. Not exactly cheap, but worth the price!

First up.... The first Wrightson Swamp Thing splash page. From Issue #1, of course, that features the origin of the Swamp Thing. We see him in the shadows waiting for the men who "killed him". A classic and memorable page from Wrightson's most famous comic "superhero" work.

swampy1.jpg

I saw you link to this on comicart-l earlier. Very awesome. Did you have to trade your other Swamp Thing splash as part of the deal?

Awesome...museum quality pieces!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'd love to get an early 70's Wrightson drawing, sketch, page, etc., one day... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

That is the coolest piece of original art ever!! mad.gif

Yeah, I had to trade it away. He wouldn't part with his only Swamp Thing example without having something else, so we did a larger trade which included my earlier example. I liked this one better, as it's more historic, more moody and part of the origin. The other one had more action, though, and was a nice example of Wrightson's horror work.

Both are nice..... preference is subjective.

Yeah, I had to trade it away. He wouldn't part with his only Swamp Thing example without having something else, so we did a larger trade which included my earlier example. I liked this one better, as it's more historic, more moody and part of the origin. The other one had more action, though, and was a nice example of Wrightson's horror work.

Both are nice..... preference is subjective.

I prefer your new one as well. thumbsup2.gif Not that the other one was chopped liver...

Hi everyone,

Next up is probably the most "historic" piece of art that I'm proud and truly honored to own. This is, in my opinion, the best page from Fantastic Four #5, the issue to show us Dr. Doom for the first time. Here's the large art Chapter 5 splash page with the FF and Dr. Doom. The only other splash page from this issue with Dr. Doom is the Chapter 1 splash, which was unfortunately destroyed long ago (the top half was the part with Doom on it, and was ripped off). So, I'm honored to own the only remaining Doom splash from that great issue, as Chapter 2,3, and 4 splashes didn't have Doom on them. I really love this page, and still can't believe I have something so early and historic (1962! Before all the Marvel characters except the Hulk and Ant-Man!)

ff5.jpg

Hari, WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!

That is an absolutely spectacular page. Congrats on such a historic and key splash in the FF mythos, and just a gorgeous multi-panel splash at that!

Hoo ha. I am drooling all over myself. Par for the course.

--Steve

Hi Steve,

I knew you'd appreciate it. Thanks for the kind words. I'm lucky to have found it, and even luckier to have been able to afford it (right place, right time). Tax refunds don't hurt, either!

If you're ever in NYC, you're welcome to see it in person someday. These early splash pages, being large art, are really spectacular (as you know).

All the best,

Hey Hari,

When you said at dinner a couple of weeks ago that you had gotten some "important piece of Silver Age art", I thought it was going to be something good. poke2.gif

Just kidding, man...congrats on the pick-ups! Hope to see you at Heritage tomorrow p.m.

Gene