• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do these books exist? (Adventures of) Peter Wheat #65 and #66

98 posts in this topic

I have been collecting PW since the mid 1970s and only need 4 to complete the run.  Like those who have contributed to this thread I have neither seen nor heard of any copies of 65 & 66.  I was in touch with a professor Thompson 15 - 20 years ago who was looking to fill in his collection and he too had no knowledge of those two books.  Wish I could help.  Anyone have copies of 62 & 63 they are willing to part with?

29 minutes ago, Arnold Strauss said:

I have been collecting PW since the mid 1970s and only need 4 to complete the run.  Like those who have contributed to this thread I have neither seen nor heard of any copies of 65 & 66.  I was in touch with a professor Thompson 15 - 20 years ago who was looking to fill in his collection and he too had no knowledge of those two books.  Wish I could help.  Anyone have copies of 62 & 63 they are willing to part with?

I'm guessing that was either Steve Thompson, or one of Don & Maggie Thompson... although I have no idea which of them would be a professor.

If it's one of them who doesn't have them, I'm prepared to say the books don't exist.

Also, thank you for posting the missing covers here!  Do you mind if I use the scans to upgrade some of the ones at the Grand Comics Database, or add where they're new bakery variants?

20 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Glad you're enjoying the thread, I'm having fun posting the books!

Today I'm going to start posting Peter Wheat News, and it's such an oddball format of a book that I'm actually going to post a whole issue, just so people know what it looks like.

An issue of Peter Wheat News is actually only 4 pages long; it's a single piece of paper folded in half.  When closed, it's slightly smaller than a normal magazine- same height, slightly narrower.  It's essentially an advertising flyer.

The front cover is normally by some random artist, or in a few late issues just a photograph.  It can vary quite widely in what it's doing, we'll see various themes as I post the few issues I have.  As near as I can tell, Walt Kelly (or later, Al Hubbard) never drew the cover, although some of them do feature clip or promo art by them being reused for the cover.  For example, I'm not sure that the Peter Wheat figure on the cover of #19, here, isn't by Kelly- but the rest of the cover is clearly not him.  19 is my earliest complete issue; and it always reminds me of the TV show Bewitched, even though this issue came out years before the show started:

PWN_19-FC.jpg

Maybe inspired by the Veronica Lake character in "I Married a Witch"? hm

36 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Maybe inspired by the Veronica Lake character in "I Married a Witch"? hm

It reminds me of the opening credits of Bewitched. I wonder if the image inspired the TV people?

Edited by AJD

And, having introduced Peter Wheat News, I'm going to post both the covers of the complete issue (where I have them) and the cover of the mini-comic, since more often than not it's just the comic pages that show up, and they can be hard to identify.  Also, Walt Kelly and Al Hubbard are are generally more fun to look at than whoever did the main cover.

Here's the inside covers for 5 and 10:

PWN_05-ic.jpg

PWN_10-ic.jpg

1 hour ago, Arnold Strauss said:

Peter Wheat News covers and interiors of#s 6, 59 & 61

PW NEWS 6.JPG

PW_NEWS_61.JPG

I knew that milk was often delivered directly to homes into the early 1960s, but I never realized that bread was as well.  Does anyone know whether Peter Wheat bread was available only through home delivery or was it also sold in grocery stores?

9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I knew that milk was often delivered directly to homes into the early 1960s, but I never realized that bread was as well.  Does anyone know whether Peter Wheat bread was available only through home delivery or was it also sold in grocery stores?

My family had milk delivery through the 70's, and I think bread delivery was still available- we just didn't use it.  Even today, there are bakery outlets where you can go pick stuff up directly around here.

So, I would guess at least some of the Peter Wheat bakeries had storefronts.  I do not know if that means you could get it at a normal grocery store.

Here's issue # 25, outside and in.  I find the comic strip on the cover interesting, at least; although I wouldn't collect the series just for the cover story (::

PWN_25-FC.jpg

PWN_25-ic.jpg