• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do these books exist? (Adventures of) Peter Wheat #65 and #66

98 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Arnold Strauss said:

Peter Wheat News covers and interiors of#s 6, 59 & 61

PW NEWS 6.JPG

PW_News__6.JPG

PW NEWS 59.JPG

PW_News___59.JPG

PW_NEWS_61.JPG

PW_News__61.JPG

Thank you so much for filling in when I wound up missing a day!  And it's great to see a few more covers and interiors!

Here's #26.  I actually have 2 copies of this one, but both are comics only.  I actually won a batch of a dozen incomplete issues a while back, this was luckily the only duplicate in the lot.  Neither copy is in very good shape:

PWN_26-ic.jpg

And here's #27, inside and out.  25-27 is the 2nd and to date last time I've put together a whole story.

If anybody wants to read the whole stories, Yoc and I put together some pretty nice digital collections for the complete stories that you can get for free over here.  I keep hoping I'll find some more issues and be able to release more of these:

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=28790

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=27128

PWN_27-FC.jpg

PWN_27-ic.jpg

Both covers for 43.  This was actually one of the first two issues of Peter Wheat News I ever got, from Metro.  When I ordered them, I figured it was about a 90% chance it was a mislabeled issue of Adventures- there was no scan- and if it wasn't, well, then I had discovered something not in the guide.  Was very much a thrill when I figured out it was option b.

PWN_43-FC.jpg

PWN_43-ic.jpg

And finally, one where I'm not sure.  I suspect that this is #65, but it's only about a 65% chance, with a 30% chance it's really 47, and 5% the series ran past 66.  (My guess is based on some lower-grade scans of a few coverless issues a seller had on eBay a few years ago; a scan that could be #48, #66, or later; but the other identified issues were closer to the 48 than the 66, so I'm guessing that was the 48.)  There are enough stories identified to know the title ran to at least #65, probably #66; and other than issues 46-48 and 64-66 we've found enough issues with the front cover so we can tie the inner cover only issues to specific stories and therefore issues.

I hope you've enjoyed this run through an obscure title; if you find any more issues I would love to see them here... and the Digital Comic Museum and Comic Book Plus would love to fill holes.

PWN_65-ic_uncertain.jpg

On 6/10/2017 at 2:53 AM, OtherEric said:

Do these books exist?

Specifically, has anybody ever seen a copy of (Adventures of) Peter Wheat #65 or #66?

Overstreet and the Fort Mudge Most both claim the series made it to #66.  But the GCD doesn't have scans of #65 or #66.  The Digital Comic Museum doesn't have scans of #65 or #66.  (Admittedly, most of the scans there are of my books.)  I've never seen a copy of either issue for sale anywhere.  And this lot on Heritage

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/peter-wheat-group-of-54-bakers-associates-1947-56-total-54-comic-books-/a/121724-12477.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

has 54 of the issues of the series but doesn't have the last two.  To be fair, the later issues do seem to be scarcer than the ones near the middle of the run, presumably as bakeries dropped the series.  But I'm pretty much ready to declare these books don't exist unless I hear of somebody actually having seen a copy.

I don't know the answer to your question, but my own impression is that Overstreet had at least some standard regarding requirements to documentation for books like these. 

For many years, I have tried to trace down the rarest Disney comics in existence. One particular book, the Florida Power version of "Donald Duck Tells About Kites", bothered me as it was the only one in Overstreet that I had neither seen for sale nor heard of anyone owning. In the early 2000s, Arnold Blumberg asked for feedback to improve the accuracy of the guide. He made changes based on some of my input, but the listing of the Florida copy of the kites giveaway stayed against my recommendation. 

Eventually, after the restructuring at Gemstone around 2009, a bunch of Overstreet's notes on esoteric material were listed for sale on eBay. Among them was a xerox of the front cover of the Florida version. Later on, I learned about the whereabouts of the known copies, which indeed do exist with 100% certainty. 

Anyway, based on the above, my best guess is that those books exist.

11 hours ago, tb said:

I don't know the answer to your question, but my own impression is that Overstreet had at least some standard regarding requirements to documentation for books like these. 

For many years, I have tried to trace down the rarest Disney comics in existence. One particular book, the Florida Power version of "Donald Duck Tells About Kites", bothered me as it was the only one in Overstreet that I had neither seen for sale nor heard of anyone owning. In the early 2000s, Arnold Blumberg asked for feedback to improve the accuracy of the guide. He made changes based on some of my input, but the listing of the Florida copy of the kites giveaway stayed against my recommendation. 

Eventually, after the restructuring at Gemstone around 2009, a bunch of Overstreet's notes on esoteric material were listed for sale on eBay. Among them was a xerox of the front cover of the Florida version. Later on, I learned about the whereabouts of the known copies, which indeed do exist with 100% certainty. 

Anyway, based on the above, my best guess is that those books exist.

Point very well taken... Overstreet doesn't list stuff without a very real reason; I shouldn't discount that at all.

With that said, I think the fact that we know they screwed up on Peter Wheat News, and the fact that the 66 is very likely correct for that title, gives us a stronger than average reason to suspect an error.

Also: I love the story on the Kite book... I find esoterica like that amazing!

Thanks for sharing all the scans!