• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I bought a collection!
5 5

247 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

I don't want to mess up your plan as I'm sure you thought about this prior to making the commitment. But 8-10 years seems like a long time to commit to this era of books. these books to me are very common and while some may argue for the long term hold, I however disagree. 

Furthermore i buy multiple smaller collections throughout the year. I don't want to be held down to one large collection (money/space/time) and miss out on others as they come along.

whatever I can't sell (at a premium) I move in bulk to local dealers. They won't pay the best but if I did good then the keys should cover the cost + profit. I'll keep some of the regular books for my low priced boxes

Again my circumstances and yours can be different.

I hear you. This seems a good collection, much of what I would be looking for in others but have here now. I have a plan, but I also understand the plan may not work...hence 8-10 years of ebay. I have to get through the good stuff and make sure it is what he said before the final payments are made so as to leave room for adjustments (which there will be and which he agreed to already). I don't want to take that long but will if need be. The LCSs nearby don't buy much (well, 1 of 6 does) but I have sold on craigslist before so will look into that again.

I think it'll move fast, but want to make sure you don't overpay... as you have already sold some of the comics, there is no backing out of the deal now :shy:

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think it'll move fast, but want to make sure you don't overpay... as you have already sold some of the comics, there is no backing out of the deal now :shy:

technically I am buying what I am taking each time. He resisted other arrangements and I did not push as condition of every unseen book is a factor and he has no qualms about giving me what I ask for each time. We discussed a contract but ended up with a handshake agreement. But if it ended now I would be a happy camper, having taken ASM, IH, Iron Man, Avengers, X-Men and the like. We know someone in common who sort of connected us and being fair is important to me. I could just disappear now but would not do that. We trust each other and that is important. I should do quite well so it is no problem. I don't drink, drug, gamble, party, etc so I have the disposable income to use, even if it all washed away somehow. (I did freak last night lying in bed about a flood!)

I price fairly but not too low. I will move the books. I expect to be picked clean by dealers. I may also utilize the auction house I go to for buys and put some longs in there. Then I can sit in the crowd and shill those suckers!

3 hours ago, Bird said:

If need be I can take a pension loan and pay it all off anytime. The interest paid on the loan goes back into my pension account (yeah, that's kinda neat, huh?). 

Just an FYI regarding the pension loan. While on the surface it sounds like a good deal, with the interest going back into the account principle, there is a drawback. You are paying back the loan with after tax money, money that has already been taxed once, and putting it into an account that will some day be subject to tax. So, the money you are paying back will essentially be taxed twice. Not so neat. Sorry.

5 hours ago, Bird said:

who knows? It is big cash but the books are good and moving enough so far. I don't have to sell to cover it, just to make it easier. If need be I can take a pension loan and pay it all off anytime. The interest paid on the loan goes back into my pension account (yeah, that's kinda neat, huh?). I had a short talk with the wife about laying out the cash and she was fine with it. Rolled her eyes at me a bit but we are solid like that so no big deal. She just said make sure we can still go to Bermuda late July as planned!

I am excited at having some serious slabbed books. That will be fun. I am not panicked about paying and it is not necessary. I expect to be out 25-50% of the cost if I decide to really sell the bulk at bulk prices and keep the gems. That is fine.

Do you have a general idea now that you've sold some as to profit %age?

1 hour ago, SteppinRazor said:

Do you have a general idea now that you've sold some as to profit %age?

No. I cannot really extrapolate what happened with 100 books vs 40000. I am trying to value the keys but am exhausted from the comics and the rest of life. And yes I sleep too little. But I will get there. That said, I am quite happy so far. It should all work out just fine.

Now, can anyone tell me exactly what these are? What they might be called?

DCpJh5ZXkAAzSPN.jpg

It seems that they are Marvel Handbook or Marvel Universe pieces. But specifically what are they are where would they come from? I have Machete through to Zuras. Handbook supplements for C level characters? I told him I was only taking them as I knew he would have the complete set and then get home and it is m-z!

15 minutes ago, Bird said:

No. I cannot really extrapolate what happened with 100 books vs 40000. I am trying to value the keys but am exhausted from the comics and the rest of life. And yes I sleep too little. But I will get there. That said, I am quite happy so far. It should all work out just fine.

Now, can anyone tell me exactly what these are? What they might be called?

DCpJh5ZXkAAzSPN.jpg

It seems that they are Marvel Handbook or Marvel Universe pieces. But specifically what are they are where would they come from? I have Machete through to Zuras. Handbook supplements for C level characters? I told him I was only taking them as I knew he would have the complete set and then get home and it is m-z!

I think they were just shrinkwraped

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=287311

20 hours ago, Bird said:

No hard and fast deadlines. I am taking them as fast as he will get them out for me, technically I am supposed to take them all as soon as possible and make payments that finish by the end of the year but he is not as focused on that as I am I guess. I have all the best titles already and am getting more next weekend.

Selling I see as taking me 8-10 years. Seriously, I have thought about it and that seems the time limit. I am not in need to sell other than to clear space. There are comics everywhere. But this is my hobby and I really enjoy it. Instead of estate/yard sale hunting I can stay home for that few hours and ready comics and stare at the computer waiting for a sale. :wishluck:   I want to get a few thousand ready for a local con where I am going to sell at the end of August. I expect that to go okay and will consider doing two of those a year but sitting behind a table all day is a form of torture to me. I sold many of the earliest ASMs already and am moving away from that and listing larger lots on ebay of the more run of the mill stuff. I am going to offer a few 50-75 book lots at that con (likely keep them in my car so as to maximize table space and just have a list with large print at the table, it is a VFW situation so I can duck out quickly while the wife and/or promoter watches the table).

18 hours ago, Bird said:

by the way 8-10 years was worst case scenario. Hope for the best but plan for the worst type thing. I am going to do a comic yard sale and offer some runs on craigslist when they are a bit more organized, which should be by the time of that convention in August. I already have a two longboxes ready for that and expect to bring 8-10 overall. maybe some more for under the table but worst case, 8 longs for the table (my table holds that as I have had a yard sale for comics once before). Worse comes to worse I have enough comic art, more than enough, to pay for it as well.

At your show in August, have a large section of $5 books - you will be amazed at how many Bronze Age Marvels you can get rid of at $5 each. Sprinkle some nicer books in there, but nothing nuts. Its nice to have (just as an example) a bunch of 1978 Spider-Mans in your inventory, but after a while they'll just be a pain. Move them out - either pull the super high grade ones to get slabbed or just churn through them. At this point you should be culling the chaff out as that is what will weigh you down going forward.

8 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

At your show in August, have a large section of $5 books - you will be amazed at how many Bronze Age Marvels you can get rid of at $5 each. Sprinkle some nicer books in there, but nothing nuts. Its nice to have (just as an example) a bunch of 1978 Spider-Mans in your inventory, but after a while they'll just be a pain. Move them out - either pull the super high grade ones to get slabbed or just churn through them. At this point you should be culling the chaff out as that is what will weigh you down going forward.

also have packaged lots/runs - at the table!

Pack refill boxes underneath. Go with 6 longs - 2 table "slots" with the packaged items stacked so people can see them. Things that are hard sells at a dollar each - you make decent runs for .75 each and you can move a lot quickly.  Things like alpha flight or Excalibur--- come to mind. Examine ebay prices for runs - then undercut them for the show!!!! The more you can get people to glance at a stack and buy --  the better. With that kind of volume - focus on bulk packaging items first! I do not know the layout of the show - but I would almost consider all packed runs and bulk for the table.

When you process - separate where you want to sell book - and get items for sale in parallel!!   if you try to move items here - then at a show - then ebay - in many ways you are using up excess energy and could be using that time to list/sell separate items on the sites that make the most sense. I would consider getting an ebay basic store if you have decent sales there - you get 200 more free listings and it gets the most eyeballs on the merch.

If you get into pure drek - that goes straight to the "auction house box".  Try and pull 4 longs of that right away - then get that to the auction house!!!!! Keep doing this every time they have an auction- until you cannot find any more drek!

Man that was so scary... I was reading your post a week ago about selling books to raise funds to buy a collection at the same time I was looking at a collection.  Then I realize you were in NJ but could you be looking at the same collection? Found out it wasn't the same set since I'm here in AZ and just bought 80 long boxes with a partner. We pulled all the same books as you were showing and I was like ?!?! that can't be my partner..??? and it wasn't. 

Congrats on the purchase btw. We processed 80 long boxes in one night from 5:30pm to 6:45am. Separated all the books in 3 piles, under $5 (dollar books), mid grade $6-$30 and keys. We ended up with 54 boxes of $1 books, 15 boxes of mid grade, 1 long box of just keys, 2 boxes of magazines, 2 boxes of sealed wizard magazines and 3 long boxes of......adult material.......lol.

Not sure where to offload the adult stuff but there was some mighty interesting titles..haha.

Almost the same keys minus a couple different pics from what you've shown.

Thanks for the advice guys! Regarding shows/ebay/here I figure I already have the pics loaded and priced so it makes sense to move those around. Here gets first shot of course! But ebay just doubled the allowed auction limit on my wife's account due to me suddenly moving stuff there (she never used it, only the occasional purse or something) so that helps.

I have some runs already set for the show in August and am planning on using a bunch of that space for them. I totally agree there.

6 hours ago, Zacreth said:

Man that was so scary... I was reading your post a week ago about selling books to raise funds to buy a collection at the same time I was looking at a collection.  Then I realize you were in NJ but could you be looking at the same collection? Found out it wasn't the same set since I'm here in AZ and just bought 80 long boxes with a partner. We pulled all the same books as you were showing and I was like ?!?! that can't be my partner..??? and it wasn't. 

Congrats on the purchase btw. We processed 80 long boxes in one night from 5:30pm to 6:45am. Separated all the books in 3 piles, under $5 (dollar books), mid grade $6-$30 and keys. We ended up with 54 boxes of $1 books, 15 boxes of mid grade, 1 long box of just keys, 2 boxes of magazines, 2 boxes of sealed wizard magazines and 3 long boxes of......adult material.......lol.

Not sure where to offload the adult stuff but there was some mighty interesting titles..haha.

I had great success selling older adult material on ebay in the "everything else- adult" section. Decent money too if your book if rare and in decent shape. The standards for decent shape are not quite as tight as with comics.

Now I am not talking about Playboy or Penthouse stuff-- more XXX type stuff that had $10 prices and was from the 1970s. I was also able to sell a bunch of old stag films that were on Super 8/8mm. 

Edited by 01TheDude

15 hours ago, Zacreth said:

The collection I bought a couple of months ago had a handful of  adult titles that ended up paying for the whole collection. There IS an audience for this stuff, for sure.

Sorry Bird for the hijack but thanks to both 01TheDude and F For Fake. I thought it would be a good to raise funds from selling them but it's hard to find an avenue to sell it and not be associated with it at the same time. I was thinking here on the forums but I'll see what I do with eBay in regards. 

to Bird, are you selling most of the books at a convention then or selling most of them on eBay?

18 minutes ago, Zacreth said:

Sorry Bird for the hijack but thanks to both 01TheDude and F For Fake. I thought it would be a good to raise funds from selling them but it's hard to find an avenue to sell it and not be associated with it at the same time. I was thinking here on the forums but I'll see what I do with eBay in regards. 

to Bird, are you selling most of the books at a convention then or selling most of them on eBay?

Also not trying to hijack Bird's thread, but real quick, I had success selling a handful on eBay, a few here on the boards, and some locally. eBay can be tricky because you have to list them in the Adults Only section, which is not searchable and therefore doesn't get a ton of traffic. Sometimes you can list them in the "regular" eBay areas, but more often than not eBay will pull the auctions, and if you do it often, they'll give you a wrist slap.

Ok, back to Bird's Business!

don't forget that you can donate books to charity for tax deductions, especially obvious junk $1 books that don't move after 2-3 shows that can't me used to create runs.  Great way to create space for at least SOME return.

13 minutes ago, revat said:

don't forget that you can donate books to charity for tax deductions, especially obvious junk $1 books that don't move after 2-3 shows that can't me used to create runs.  Great way to create space for at least SOME return.

You can only claim a charitable deduction if your Itemized Deductions on your tax return are higher than your Standard Deduction. For most people, the Standard Deduction is higher than Itemized Deductions, and thus they take the Standard Deduction. When you take the Standard Deduction on your tax return, you can not claim charitable contributions as a tax deduction. 

4 minutes ago, jharvey said:

You can only claim a charitable deduction if your Itemized Deductions on your tax return are higher than your Standard Deduction. For most people, the Standard Deduction is higher than Itemized Deductions, and thus they take the Standard Deduction. When you take the Standard Deduction on your tax return, you can not claim charitable contributions as a tax deduction. 

you're right of course.   As always, consult your accountant before making decisions that may or may not affect your taxes.  (Although it sounds like the OP owns his own house and is young enough to be moving these boxes so he's probably still paying enough in mortgage interest to itemize, aside from having enough money to by an f-ton of comics, all signs he probably itemizes).  But I should have been more clear, lest some other reader try to donate their comics for a deduction when they are using standard.