• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I bought a collection!
5 5

247 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

anything new to report?

Hmmmm. Well. I guess so. The 10 slabs from above, I put 5 on ebay and have sold 2 (X-Men 129, ASM 252). So that is pretty good so far as I am in no hurry to sell the slabs. They maximize profit nicely, even at those grades. No progress on the other subbed books so far (13 modern, 4 value, 3 standard at cgc and 13 more almost all done being prettied up and going to cgc shortly I expect). I have a pile of books that are potential or marginal modern subs, about 15-20 or so, but am focusing on trying to get a nice pile of value or standards to go next.

In the last few weeks I have gone through a few boxes and organized them for selling. Web of Spidey, all of the New Universe titles, Exaclibur were some of these and are all on ebay now. I am finishing up Marvel Age as well. I am getting down to only 10 or so boxes left but they are getting groovy now...New Mutants, Star Wars, earliest X-Men and Avengers. But first I have to finish X-Factor, Spider-Man, Spectacular Spidey, Thing, Two-In-One, Cable, X-Force, the X-Men in the 200s and tons of miniseries (AoA).

So the end is in sight. I am taking lots of offers on ebay to move the books and make room. I am finishing my third bulk bag/board lot of 1000, so I have bought about 3500 bags and boards and re-used just as many from selling other comics that were already bagged/boarded. I have 4 short boxes of stuff put aside, about half of which I plan on selling on the boards in one massive thread...perhaps at the end of the summer of early fall.

I am eager to purchase more collections but keep telling myself I cannot process anything new until I process what I have. I have also been busting through my own comics and selling some as well. I have also moved 2-3 boxes of my own stuff along with the stuff from purchased collections. I took the winter off from bagging/boarding and focused on selling what I already have ready to go but am now back to emptying the paper boxes the previous owner stored all these comics in.

Just got home to a box from Sarasota!

DgznK-nWkAEMWgw.jpg

The books from this collection are not going to hit 9.8 too often, even with some pressing from the pros. (Thanks!) But the price is right and I am happy to have some cool books. I got 13 back today and will probably hold onto the two above (for now at least) and see about moving the others.

I am seeing the end in sight. I have almost all the books bagged and boarded and have sold many. I have saved the best books for last by and large. So this weekend I will likely bust into the last 420 or so books. This is Iron Man 1-60, X-Men 21-100 (I already pulled the first 20 X-Men, couldn't wait to see them!), Avengers 1-140, Thor 100-140 or so. I am really glad it turned out to be just under 10K books and not the 40K that I originally bargained for.  But then I think what those extra 30K could have been...well I would take another 15K easy but another 30K? Man, tons of comics.

But this has been relatively easy and fun (the books were organized but not bagged). I had slowed down looking for collections, not exactly stopped but only really keeping my eye out, and am ready to ramp it up again. If anyone recalls, my wife actually unearthed this collection so I told her to hit her sources again and get me some more! I now have 4 shelving units and about 15 short boxes that I didn't have before buying these comics and they have started to empty out so I am more prepared for this type of thing than I was last year at this time.

Anyway, enough rambling. I am getting back SS4 tomorrow and will show it here when I do. Low grade but it is undeniably the greatest comic book cover ever so I am happy with what I got. But I do often think as I lay awake at night, why didn't the sob bag and board? Many Silver Surfers ruined. Strange Tales 169, ruined along with the whole bag due to water damage and a torn ziploc. ASM 100 with a hole in the back cover and few pages from bugs eating it! As good as I did in this deal, condition slammed me.

Well, I guess it wasn't quite enough rambling yet! See you tomorrow, same flipper time, same flipper thread!

EDITED TO ADD: I put them away and turns out I put 4 in the "keeper" box and not just those two above...also a Marvel Fumetti Book 9.0 and I always liked that Hulk 340 cover (mine got a 9.4). 12/13 had white pages though!

Edited by Bird
whole?

Dg4yVvBWAAAZkY2.jpg

OUCH!

Although I am not exactly ecstatic at the grades I have been getting in this "tight" grading period, I don't really mind too much. Tighter is better and the only problem is that the same grade from different submission dates does not reflect similar books, but overall I have always believed that 9.8s were floating around too frequently. Those grades should really reflect a book in awesome condition. So all in all I won't complain. The SS4 above is a beautiful book. Looks good next to other comics...

Dg4zavjW4AEK29Y.jpg

All 3 with OW/W pages! :sumo:

In any event, the ASM 300 is a bit of a shocker but still a good book to have. I have sold a few over the years and have a few now and I should be smart and keep these for a while. You would think a 6.5 on this mass produced book wouldn't be worth much but last gpa sale was $295. Silly money but I don't expect it to go the other way. My daughter is 19 and excited for the Venom movie, even if I think it looks bad (the character looks poor to me, Spidey thought it was clothing and yes I know that doesn't seem to matter here but that Venom was clunky) and I think the book is largely immune to a tanking movie should it come to that.

Edited by Bird

DjeP0oIXsAA2OUc.jpg

Thanks to @joeypost for the work! Getting a 9.6 out of both the Marvel Age 141 and the ASM 238 really pleases me. Of course I want all 9.8s but being reasonable I have to always remember that the books from this collection had condition issues and 9.8s are possible but not too often. I try my best not to make this a sales thread in any way but people had encouraged me to sell some on the boards and I will have a booth at the upcoming VCC this weekend. I have tons of photos of some cool books so I will build an overflow booth with larger scans if people want to see some of the less valuable but very groovy comics.

DjX9rReX0AI8pl8.jpgDjX8lUmW0AU5UUq.jpgDhBFhGwW4AEV78m.jpgDhgEzPFW4AAKKvt.jpg

19 books at joey's, most of which were from this collection.Some are obviously going to be moved but it is a nice looking bunch, donchathink?

Pressing Service Comic Title Issue e    
Regular Submission - Books from 1975-present iron fist 1 1      
Regular Submission - Books from 1975-present iron man 282 1      
Regular Submission - Books from 1975-present avengers annual 7 1      
Regular Submission - Books from 1975-present new mutants 100 1      
Regular Submission - Books from 1969-1974 marvel premiere 15 1      
Regular Submission - Books from 1975-present giant size captain marvel 1 1      
Regular Submission - Books from 1975-present spectacular spider-man 64 1      
Regular Submission - Books from 1969-1974 marvel premiere 19 1      
Regular Submission - Books from 1969-1974 marvel premiere 2 1      
Regular Submission - Books from 1969-1974 captain america 117 1      
Regular Submission - Books from 1969-1974 captain marvel 25 1      
Regular Submission - Books from 1969-1974 captain marvel 26 1      

Hide Items

Pressing Service Comic Title Issue # Books      
Regular Submission - Books from 1969-1974 incredible hulk 180 1      
Regular Submission - Books from 1969-1974 incredible hulk 181 1      
Regular Submission - Books from 19xx-1968 doctor strange 169 1      
Regular Submission - Books from 19xx-1968 planet comics 60 1      
Regular Submission - Books from 1975-present x-men 266 1      
Regular Submission - Books from 1975-present amazing spider-man 300 1      
Regular Submission - Books from 1975-present new mutants 98 1      

so in the last two weeks I sold a bunch of the comics from the collection here on the boards and on ebay and used the funds for a shot of GA. I have really been selling and buying at a rapid pace, at least by my standards.

DqdkwJAXQAEihfN.jpgDqdkwI_W4AEGGh6.jpg

These were all purchased here, keeping that cash flowing through the boards! I have to make some choices about focus, right now I am not much more discriminating than is it dated 1940-something and/or is it Planet Comics? It makes me think that maybe I can go after one of the Planets in the upcoming CC auction as I have only holes in my collection and can go after any I like as they come along. What will the floor be for a 9.6 in this auction...$5K?

I am almost certainly going to a local show run by boardie @pug productions on Sunday and am hoping to get another GA book, or two! (If you have a nice Planet for sale hit me up via PM, or even a groovy Captain Marvel or Captain Marvel Jr.. cover from the 40s.)