• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I bought a collection!
5 5

247 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Bird said:

well, I decided that I have made enough progress on the chaff to explore a little wheat. I have had some of these books slabbed before but I am going to start regularly submitting comics again, all from this collection. I just put together an order with 10 moderns and 4 value. I am hoping that I can show some restraint and hold onto a few of these (at least for a while).

I figure sell a bunch and keep a few. So one this go round the keepers might include Marvel Super Heroes 12 & 13, X-Men 14, Marvel Premiere 47, and Hero for Hire 1. I used the proceeds of selling books on ebay to pay joey and for the slabbing fees so the plan is to use any proceeds from these slabs to fund the new round. Rinse and repeat and if I keep a few each time I should have a nice pile by the end of 2018. I tend to sell quickly so I had my hands on two beauties tonight when packing them all up but told both SS4 and IH181, "not yet my pretties". As long as they are raw I won't touch them but once slabbed I become Darryl from Storage Wars "hey, that's a two hundred dollar bill right there!".

That's the danger of slabbing, for me. If a book is raw, I can hold onto it forever. But once I slab it, it becomes so easy to sell, I have a hard time resisting. Keep 'em raw!

Issue 40's a nice one, with some great David Mazzucchelli artwork inside, and his cover there.

Edited by Ken Aldred

After some time organizing this weekend I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. For a while there a month or so ago I was really tiring of these comics and wanting to get to the best stuff in there but I know to maximize $ returned I have to wait on that stuff and get rid of the bulk first. So I still have a few boxes of X-Man and such but The Defenders, New Mutants, Star Wars and such are waiting and not too far off now.

On 6/10/2017 at 2:26 PM, Bird said:

since you asked so nicely...my favorite cover ever. The SS3 has extennsive tape on the spine but this one is clean. Needs a press but most of the keys do.

DB-6g3WW0AAE0Cj.jpg

Love this cover.  I have the Diamond Selects statue of it.  Keep the pics coming!  

On 3/10/2018 at 8:56 AM, celluloidbuff said:

Keep the pics coming!  

10 minutes ago, speedcake said:

X-men stuff, eh??

:whistle:

DYA_b-mX4AAvFFR.jpg

The cover on the 1 is torn up pretty bad. Lots of flaws on them all. Just a shame I have to own them. 

6a00e009948dcd883301b7c915efff970b-200wi

Edited by Bird

1 minute ago, speedcake said:

Was not expecting drek of such magnitude 

The bulk I spoke of was X-MAN, so if you want issues 1-20 let me know. X-Men, yeah, different story!

X-Men 14 is at joeypost and then CGC so I can see what one of the better issues comes back as.

DVxtHHjXkAA9hVP.jpg&key=a0388efcb86d4b53DVxtHH0XkAETjaf.jpg&key=1fd94af5f27c8be1DVxtLitX4AEn4iP.jpg&key=3d077264e2d46042

They are all sweet covers, aren't they? 

Contenders. I am probably going to pull another 15 or so this weekend for pressing & slabbing, mostly to flip and one or two to keep (for a while at least). I have a nice set of Lethal Protector to consider as well, but probably only the #1 on that set.

the bay has been good to me the last few days...it doesn't hurt that some comics are priced at 50 cents each or cheaper! But about 130 comics sold yesterday/day before including the New Warriors 80 comic lot and now today the coupon seems to have brought luck as the 130 comic Alpha Flight just sold as well! Now I can use that cash to press & slab some comics! I already have a pile of 11 moderns but now I am going to add a few older or more valuable comics to that package as well, probably 3-5 or so.

Edited by Bird
edited to remove the internet sales site that now seems to be a link anytime you type its' name? I do not condone such behavior.

well, every time I checked a good older book it either had a unslabworthy flaw or not enough juice in the gpa so I ended up with a 15 modern batch. Punisher Limited Series 1-5, Fumetti, squirrel girl, black panther 3 & 4, iron fist 14, iron man 128, hulk 271 & 340, marvel spotlight 32, & superman mos 18 3rd print. So that makes 25 moderns and 4 value books out the door for press and slab and I already have a few more moderns in the next pile.

But more interesting might be the pile I started for an eventual groovy sales thread. Not a sales thread with New Warriors, Force Works, New Universe et al but rather John Carter Warlord of Mars, Amazing Adventures, and that type of stuff! When I have something that I decide against slabbing it now goes in this pile. That sales thread should be a ton of fun but it won;t be for a few months yet.

Edited by Bird

Okay, 10 moderns hit cgc today!

001 X-Men 97 2/76 Marvel Comics                    
002 X-Men 129 1/80 Marvel Comics                    
003 Amazing Spider-Man 252 5/84 Marvel Comics                    
004 Marvel Fumetti Book 1 4/84 Marvel Comics                    
005 Captain America 360 10/89 Marvel Comics                    
006 Silver Surfer v3 #34 2/90 Marvel Comics                    
007 Silver Surfer v3 #35 3/90 Marvel Comics                    
008 Silver Surfer v3 #35 3/90 Marvel Comics                    
009 Amazing Spider-Man 363 6/92 Marvel Comics                    
010 Marvel Premiere 47 4/79 Marvel Comics      

Now the fun starts. I listed one of those 2 SS35s as a newsstand but it is not noted here, wonder if I will get it on the label. I got a 9.8 when I subbed ASM 361 so hopefully 363 will follow suit.

Edited by Bird

Well, I guess White pages everywhere is good. Not too psyched for the grades but it is what it is, as the young kids used to say. All of these are house money from the collection, and I paid for pressing and grading fees from sales of other books. So the grades will do but the value is less than I had hoped. I previously obtained a 9.8 on ASM 361 so there are some 9.8s in here I just have to hope they hit the right books like the 361/363 split here.I still have 30-35 books in the pipeline (including a lesser condition Fumetti than the 9.0 below) and am making a stack now to send in soon. 

The condition of the X-Men issues are all over the place. I have gotten from 5.5 to 9.0 on the earlier issues.

X-Men 97 2/76 Marvel Comics       Modern Grader Notes 7.0 WHITE   Chris Claremont story
Dave Cockrum & Sam Grainger art
Rich Buckler & Dave Cockrum cover
Return of Havok & Polaris.
1st appearance of Lilandra (face is
not shown). Eric the Red appearance.
002 X-Men 129 1/80 Marvel Comics       Modern Grader Notes 8.5 WHITE   Chris Claremont story
John Byrne & Terry Austin cover & art
1st appearance of Kitty Pryde, the White
Queen (Emma Frost) & Sebastian Shaw.
Mastermind appearance.
003 Amazing Spider-Man 252 5/84 Marvel Comics       Modern Grader Notes 9.2 WHITE   Roger Stern & Tom DeFalco story
Ron Frenz & Brett Breeding art
Ron Frenz & Klaus Janson cover
Ties with Marvel Team-Up #141 for
1st appearance of the black costume.
Amazing Fantasy #15 cover homage.
004 Marvel Fumetti Book 1 4/84 Marvel Comics       Modern Grader Notes 9.0 WHITE     Photo cover.
005 Captain America 360 10/89 Marvel Comics       Modern Grader Notes 9.4 WHITE   Kieron Dwyer & Mark Gruenwald story
Kieron Dwyer & Danny Bulanadi art
Kieron Dwyer & Al Milgrom cover
1st appearance of Crossbones
(Brock Rumlow).
""Bloodstone Hunt"" part 4
006 Silver Surfer v3 #34 2/90 Marvel Comics       Modern Grader Notes 9.4 WHITE   Jim Starlin story
Ron Lim & Tom Christopher art
Ron Lim & Joe Rubinstein cover
Return of Thanos.
007 Silver Surfer v3 #35 3/90 Marvel Comics       Modern Grader Notes 9.2 WHITE   Jim Starlin story
Ron Lim cover

008 Silver Surfer v3 #35 3/90 Marvel Comics       Modern Grader Notes 9.4 WHITE   Jim Starlin story
Ron Lim cover

009 Amazing Spider-Man 363 6/92 Marvel Comics       Modern Grader Notes 9.4 WHITE   David Michelinie story
Mark Bagley & Randy Emberlin cover & art
Carnage, Venom, Human Torch
& Mister Fantastic appearance.
010 Marvel Premiere 47 4/79 Marvel Comics       Modern Grader Notes 9.0 WHITE   David Michelinie story
John Byrne & Bob Layton art
Bob Layton cover
Scott Lang becomes the new Ant-Man.

I  got one or two PMs about selling after my last few posts but am not trying to drum up sales here, just documenting the collection as it comes back from CGC as some had asked. I know some of these are lame books to sub but even with those grades they will be worth more in the case than out. Well, maybe even stevens on one or two at $30 each after all is said and done (meaning a $40 slab would likely sell for $10 raw, but generally these are higher value in the case hopefully).