• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I bought a collection!
5 5

247 posts in this topic

hijack away. I have no problem with any and all discussion about comics!

I plan on selling on ebay and local cons and likely a comic yard sale. I am not sure about local auction house yet.

On 6/20/2017 at 4:11 PM, Bird said:

hijack away. I have no problem with any and all discussion about comics!

I plan on selling on ebay and local cons and likely a comic yard sale. I am not sure about local auction house yet.

Comic yard sale??

when?? :-)

3 hours ago, Eddragon said:

Comic yard sale??

when?? :-)

I am looking at 8/26, the day before the con in Old Bridge that I am selling at. I may do it sooner but think that 8/26 is my day.

In fact I decided to have 2  comic yard sales the first one will be July 22 and the second one will be August 26  

Edited by Bird

On a similar note - I am just starting negotiations on a small collection of supposedly 60's & 70's books.  When asked what percentage off book I would be willing spend I threw out up to 50% of book value.  My question is - where do you buyers like to be with a quality or at least semi quality collection, considering some to keep and some to hopefully flip?

24 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

My question is - where do you buyers like to be with a quality or at least semi quality collection, considering some to keep and some to hopefully flip?

Pay full price on the stuff you want, that'll make the winning difference between your offer and everyone else's.  If you're expecting to pay flipper prices like all the other flippers, best of luck.

I cannot really offer advice as this was the first big collection that I have purchased. And likely the last! It will take me a while to sell these as it is. I kinda struck gold, a seller who had not been approached before and who does not care about the books anymore. I paid him well but I paid per book, keys the same price as less desirable books. My only real advice is to ignore the advice and pay what you think is fair. I agreed to purchase 40000 books and had people suggest $5K and others suggest $40K. But he and I struck a deal somewhere in there and I feel good about it. It will take time to make my money back but I should do fairly well.

Now I just have to get all the books here. He is on vacation now and I want more books! I only have about 5000 so far! But I have the good stuff so it is all good.

I am going to hold off on selling on the boards for a while. Maybe slow down on ebay as well. I am rough grading and pricing 30-50 books a night and have a bunch of replies to my craigslist ad for that comic yard sale. I want to be ready for that and the convention and still have a life. I sent 15 off to CGC today as a test run. (Well a few are not from the collection. But the X-Men looked pretty good to me so I sent a few in the low issue 100 range.)

Hey @Eddragon, having an earlier comic yard sale on 7/22, 7:30 am -12 noon if you are interested. First sale is focused on ASM, X-Men, Avengers and Captain America so far with Treasuries, prestige format books, Secret Wars I and II (Secret Wars 8 looked beautiful and off to CGC though), Black Panther as well. Plus stuff I already had ready for ebay too.

Edited by Bird

3 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

On a similar note - I am just starting negotiations on a small collection of supposedly 60's & 70's books.  When asked what percentage off book I would be willing spend I threw out up to 50% of book value.  My question is - where do you buyers like to be with a quality or at least semi quality collection, considering some to keep and some to hopefully flip?

Impossible to answer the question based on the information you provided.  How many keys and the grade of the keys and the  overall grade  of the  collection greatly affect how much you should pay for it.

3 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

You could say you pay "up to" 80% of book value, but that should really just be the cream of the crop. The rest should be 25% or thereabouts. Sometimes 1/4 guide is a great price and other times not at all. 

4 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

As I said in the other thread. Figure out what YOUR sale price is for all of the books. Not "book value" - what your sale price would be. Offer half of that unless there's monster keys in there.

2 hours ago, Bird said:

I cannot really offer advice as this was the first big collection that I have purchased. And likely the last! It will take me a while to sell these as it is. I kinda struck gold, a seller who had not been approached before and who does not care about the books anymore. I paid him well but I paid per book, keys the same price as less desirable books. My only real advice is to ignore the advice and pay what you think is fair. I agreed to purchase 40000 books and had people suggest $5K and others suggest $40K. But he and I struck a deal somewhere in there and I feel good about it. It will take time to make my money back but I should do fairly well.

Now I just have to get all the books here. He is on vacation now and I want more books! I only have about 5000 so far! But I have the good stuff so it is all good.

I am going to hold off on selling on the boards for a while. Maybe slow down on ebay as well. I am rough grading and pricing 30-50 books a night and have a bunch of replies to my craigslist ad for that comic yard sale. I want to be ready for that and the convention and still have a life. I sent 15 off to CGC today as a test run. (Well a few are not from the collection. But the X-Men looked pretty good to me so I sent a few in the low issue 100 range.)

Hey @Eddragon, having an earlier comic yard sale on 7/22, 7:30 am -12 noon if you are interested. First sale is focused on ASM, X-Men, Avengers and Captain America so far with Treasuries, prestige format books, Secret Wars I and II (Secret Wars 8 looked beautiful and off to CGC though), Black Panther as well. Plus stuff I already had ready for ebay too.

Thanks @Bird - I saw your CL ad and definitely interested in checking the yard sale out, thanks!

On 6/27/2017 at 10:15 PM, Bird said:

In fact I decided to have 2  comic yard sales the first one will be July 22 and the second one will be August 26  

can you shoot me a PM with the address. Not sure how far you are from me. Thanks. 

10 hours ago, Bird said:

Interested in attending this yard sale.

19 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

I wouldn't throw 50% of book out there because the generic krap in there will not be worth close to that. 

14 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

As I said in the other thread. Figure out what YOUR sale price is for all of the books. Not "book value" - what your sale price would be. Offer half of that unless there's monster keys in there.

OPG is useful as a reference tool, for pricing if you have a B&M store, or an ebay store where you are willing to wait years for an offer or a buyer who hasn't shopped around, but not buying a collection to flip.  Too many books are $30-40 in OPG and worth $5 on ebay. You will get killed.

21 minutes ago, the blob said:

I wouldn't throw 50% of book out there because the generic krap in there will not be worth close to that. 

OPG is useful as a reference tool, for pricing if you have a B&M store, or an ebay store where you are willing to wait years for an offer or a buyer who hasn't shopped around, but not buying a collection to flip.  Too many books are $30-40 in OPG and worth $5 on ebay. You will get killed.

Yea - worrying about guide prices is a big waste of time.  You also can't look up on E-Bay each book in a large collection especially when you are negotiating on the fly.  That is why some people will go the route of offering $1 a book for 1,000 books knowing there are a few semi keys in there that will counter balance the duds.  This is dependent on the quality of the books since most collections will not be old man Silver-Age classics.  Some pull out the big keys and then offer $100 a long box for the decent stuff but that can back-fire since the guy now knows which books are hot and of value.  The bigger the collection you just need to go in low but reasonable since going thru each book condition wise is not practical when you are dealing with multi long box purchases.  Sellers will quote Guide but as a buyer you need to know what you think you can get for the books and take 50% off for wiggle room and to make some profit.

Edited by 1Cool

34 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Yea - worrying about guide prices is a big waste of time.  You also can't look up on E-Bay each book in a large collection especially when you are negotiating on the fly.  That is why some people will go the route of offering $1 a book for 1,000 books knowing there are a few semi keys in there that will counter balance the duds.  This is dependent on the quality of the books since most collections will not be old man Silver-Age classics.  Some pull out the big keys and then offer $100 a long box for the decent stuff but that can back-fire since the guy now knows which books are hot and of value.  The bigger the collection you just need to go in low but reasonable since going thru each book condition wise is not practical when you are dealing with multi long box purchases.  Sellers will quote Guide but as a buyer you need to know what you think you can get for the books and take 50% off for wiggle room and to make some profit.

Not that i buy collections with any reqularity, but in valuating lots on ebay or here I ask myself what I would be happy paying $1 each for, treating anything else as having no value, and then try to focus on what I could pay for the "good" books in there (I dunno, easy and quick $25+ sales?) and still make a profitable margin if I sold them.

Edited by the blob

Thanks for the advice.  I only threw out the book value numbers because he asked specifically about it in a quick phone call.  I am guessing he is at least generally aware of the values, but may have even gotten some lowball's already.  Meeting with him Sunday. 

Edited by Spidey 62

1 minute ago, Spidey 62 said:

Thanks for the advice.  I only threw out the book value numbers because he asked specifically about it in a quick phone call.  I am guessing he is at least generally aware of the values, but may have even gotten some low all's already.  Meeting with him Sunday. 

When I get frustrated with a potential seller, sometimes I'll ask them to turn the Overstreet over and shake it and then ask them if any money fell out. That's closer to the end of a negotiation that's not going to result in a deal, however.

:flamed: