• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I bought a collection!
5 5

247 posts in this topic

I was going through the lists that the seller provided me with and just cannot see how it adds up to 40000 books. I did not count them all and he has some that are not on the lists so anything is possible I guess. But having taken 5000 books so far his lists justwon't get to 40000. I have some John carter Warlord of Mars and that title does not appear on his list, so again anything is possible. Having already picked up the X-Men, ASM, Iron man, Hulk, Dr Strange, Star Wars and most of Avengers (along with tons of others obviously) I would prefer that he has overestimated the total number of books but I don't want to rock the boat at all so we will just wait and see. He is off traveling and I won't get more books for 2 weeks, but that pickup has some great titles in there including Marvel Premiere, marvel Spotlight, Web of Spidey, and some reprint titles like Super Villain team up. All in all a fun ride I am on even if my rec room smells like old paper.

13 hours ago, Bird said:

I was going through the lists that the seller provided me with and just cannot see how it adds up to 40000 books. I did not count them all and he has some that are not on the lists so anything is possible I guess. But having taken 5000 books so far his lists justwon't get to 40000. I have some John carter Warlord of Mars and that title does not appear on his list, so again anything is possible. Having already picked up the X-Men, ASM, Iron man, Hulk, Dr Strange, Star Wars and most of Avengers (along with tons of others obviously) I would prefer that he has overestimated the total number of books but I don't want to rock the boat at all so we will just wait and see. He is off traveling and I won't get more books for 2 weeks, but that pickup has some great titles in there including Marvel Premiere, marvel Spotlight, Web of Spidey, and some reprint titles like Super Villain team up. All in all a fun ride I am on even if my rec room smells like old paper.

How many longboxes does he have? Most people I deal with tend to estimate their collection by 300 books * # longboxes but in my experience it's usually 220-250 per longbox. So when you have a variance like that with a collection this large you could end up short thousands of books. If he's estimating 300 books per long with 133 longs to get to 40K and it really ends up being 250 per longbox then you're short 6700 books.

3 minutes ago, rsouxlja7 said:

How many longboxes does he have? Most people I deal with tend to estimate their collection by 300 books * # longboxes but in my experience it's usually 220-250 per longbox. So when you have a variance like that with a collection this large you could end up short thousands of books. If he's estimating 300 books per long with 133 longs to get to 40K and it really ends up being 250 per longbox then you're short 6700 books.

There are not in longboxes! They are in paper boxes, and occasionally a Pampers box. I am paying per book when I pick them up so if it is short by a little or by a lot it will work out. 

19 minutes ago, Bird said:

There are not in longboxes! They are in paper boxes, and occasionally a Pampers box. I am paying per book when I pick them up so if it is short by a little or by a lot it will work out. 

That's what I remember you saying lol so I'm sure it will work out :) maybe you won't end up spending in total close to what you thought, it's really a win/win for you, as long as you get your money back in sales, perhaps a profit :wishluck: and the PC key's you want!!!

Thanks for the update, hope that it turns out well!!

7 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's what I remember you saying lol so I'm sure it will work out :) maybe you won't end up spending in total close to what you thought, it's really a win/win for you, as long as you get your money back in sales, perhaps a profit :wishluck: and the PC key's you want!!!

Thanks for the update, hope that it turns out well!!

yeah, win/win is what I think as well.  Here are some of what I am picking up next.

Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-man

Web of Spider-Man
Amazing Adventures.
Black Goliath
Cloak & Dagger
Dazzler
Defenders
Eternals
Infinity Gauntlet, Infinity Crusade, Infinity war,
Ka-Zar
marvel Premiere
Marvel Spotlight
Ms Marvel

nova
Marvel Team up
Super Villain Team up

Surprises today included ToD 44 to go with Doc 14 and Man-Thing 4 to go with another Doc issue. Going through Captain Marvel now and they are purty.

1 hour ago, Bird said:

okay, I just got back from making another run. There are nowhere near 40000 books! I am quite relieved. I had gone through his lists and thought we were half way done and was not too surprised today when he said "oh, I found some more pages from the lists. I don't know why these came out." So I figured that would cover a bunch more comics that I did not know about. I saw Moon Knight in there so that was good, hopefully WWBN 32 is there as well. But I don't want to rock the boat so I had not mentioned that the lists were no where near 40K books. But as we finished loading up the car with 2000 books he said that we were about done. I asked if he had another load the size of today's, and he said yes that would about cover what was left. So I am looking at about 9000 books overall. I am quite happy with this development. My wife is astonished that he could be so far off. He did not comment or see the incongruity of the fact that we count books, roughly, each time and that I have only taken 7000 or so books after today.

But a brief concern of sorts was that I have not gotten the first 150 or so issues of Avengers and he did not think that they were still at his house. I told him that they would turn up although I am sure I don't have them yet, and that it was fine. So when I got home there was an email waiting for me that he had found that box! So again, I am looking good with 9000 or so books rather than 40K. As had been mentioned in this thread, and I did it the first time I sold a large lot,  everyone thinks that they have more comics than they really do. I think that this guy counted pages in his files and not entries on each page and that since many pages had only 1-4 comics listed (Gambit 1, Gambit 2, Gambit 3, Gambit 4...next page...Captain Marvel 1...next page...etc etc etc.) his count was wildly inflated. So instead of the five figures we were talking for 40000 comics I get to spend not even 25% of that and have a much richer set of books. I have also been busting my hump pricing and bagging/boarding books but now get to relax a bit on the pace of that as well. One more set of shelving instead of filling a room, so much to like about this now!!!

That's awesome news. Less books by a ton and more value. Can't go wrong.

11 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

We might be dealing with the same guy.  I just cherry picked 31,000 books out of a 40,000 book collection.  Fortunately, most of the books I got were silver age mega keys and I got them cheap.  He said he would just dump the rest on some sucker he had hooked.

:roflmao:

yes, well...

Comic yard sale this weekend. We'll see how it goes. I really just did this as a way to force me to get books ready for the convention next month. So I'll PM the boardies, who requested such but please let me know if you are a boardie and I will give you free shipping. :bigsmile:

I will take some pictures soon of the "keep" pile. At least keep for now. Tons of Marvel groovy Copper Age craziness. I will take some pictures this weekend and post them here.

33 minutes ago, Bird said:

yes, well...

Comic yard sale this weekend. We'll see how it goes. I really just did this as a way to force me to get books ready for the convention next month. So I'll PM the boardies, who requested such but please let me know if you are a boardie and I will give you free shipping. :bigsmile:

I will take some pictures soon of the "keep" pile. At least keep for now. Tons of Marvel groovy Copper Age craziness. I will take some pictures this weekend and post them here.

Can you post pictures of your comic yard sale setup too? I'll be doing something similar soon too and I'd love to see what you do.

35 minutes ago, srezvan said:

Can you post pictures of your comic yard sale setup too? I'll be doing something similar soon too and I'd love to see what you do.

Sure. I am getting tables for a party Sunday celebrating my daughters birthday and college departure so I will have the advantage of extra tables. I am just opening the garage door and putting some tables out. I am printing some signs for the front of the boxes as well.

Maybe it is just me,  but I would never want  a Comic  garage sale at my house.

No reason to advertise  for a group of people  to come by and  rob your house of the comics

6 hours ago, srezvan said:

Where in Arizona do you live?