• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1 full back vs 2 half-backs - Put To The Test!

20 posts in this topic

1 full back vs 2 half-backs. Pros and cons?

Is one full-back more solid than two half-backs?

Also, two half-back boards allows for 4 "rotations" of board-faces that make contact with the surface of the comic whereas one full-back only allows two "rotations", IF having the comic making contact with the backing board is important to the functioning of the buffer in the boards. Similarly, if the buffer in the board absorbs gasses building up in the bag, would "rotating" two half-boards allow a more "fresh" surface area of the board to be exposed to absorb the acidic gases better?

Never really thought about it, but now I am.

ETA:

Okay so the results are clear: 2Half-Backs do NOT equal 1 Full-Back.

These are just the boards in a Mylite2 bag (no comicbook), equally suspended and weights placed in the middle:

59448595d1c13_2017-06-1618_18.43-1.thumb.jpg.087bcbdfa83610ff4596a8a930d844b0.jpg

When 8oz weight was used, the 1FB+1HB and the 1FB seemed similar in support, but the 2HBs were clearly stressing out supporting that weight.

59448592b55f8_2017-06-1618_16.52-1.thumb.jpg.fe27514a04aff2eaf8a636dcd52ae219.jpg

When 1lb of weight was used, the 2HBs could not support the weight, the 1FB bowed significantly more than the 1FB+1HB.

I have a whole lot of HBs and just got in a whole bunch of FBs so I will use 1FB+1HB with my best/HG books and 1FB for my "2nd tier" books and probably not use 2HBs anymore because they just don't offer the protection.

Edited by jcjames

Yes, one full-back is sturdier than 2 half-backs.

The calcium carbonate buffer that it's in the half/full-backs isn't there to absorb the off-gassing from the comic book - it's there to ensure that the half/full-back maintains a neutral pH (eg. remains acid-free). There's no point in rotating these boards.

I prefer half-backs because there are (hundreds of) books that aren't "worthy" of a full back, in terms of the cost.  Having the option to use two or three half-backs for special books keeps them special, while saving the money for the hundreds of other books.

10 hours ago, mschmidt said:

Yes, one full-back is sturdier than 2 half-backs.

The calcium carbonate buffer that it's in the half/full-backs isn't there to absorb the off-gassing from the comic book - it's there to ensure that the half/full-back maintains a neutral pH (eg. remains acid-free). There's no point in rotating these boards.

I'm going to have to review the function of the buffered back-board again. I thought the buffer in the backboard acted similarly along with microchamber paper to absorb/neutralize acidic off-gases.

ETA: Found the thread (it really should be tacked or put into the Noobie thread (which itself really needs updating)):

Acid-Free backing boards put to the test

Edited by jcjames

I use both fullbacks and halfbacks.

If the book has some value I put a fullback board in the mylite.

If less value then a halfback.

Condition and value of the book are the determining factor ( along with a little "on a whim" )\

I've been using two half-backs because it was my understanding that part of the function of the buffered back-board is to absorb/neutralize acidic off-gassing from the comic within the bag.

I understand the buffer is to prevent the back-board ITSELF from creating acids, but I also thought that it worked along with MCP to neutralize acids from the comic paper too.

Is that incorrect?

I do like a solid backing, and since I have a lot of half-backs, I'm thinking of switching to a Full+Half back boards. More solid than a single full-back and allows me to still use all the half-backs I currently have.

7 hours ago, CheeseFrog said:

Full back for everything!  I can't stand half backs... flimsy.  Like you stuck a piece of printer paper in there for the board.

That's how I feel about mylites - uggh.  Just got an order in from a boardie and the comics were all in mylites - it pizzed me off just to have to touch them long enough to remove them and throw them in the trash. :sumo:

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

That's how I feel about mylites - uggh.  Just got an order in from a boardie and the comics were all in mylites - it pizzed me off just to have to touch them long enough to remove them and throw them in the trash. :sumo:

Do you mean those really thin ones, that make crinkling noises when you touch them, or the Mylites2 from Gerber? The latter ones I like, the former I almost went insane experimenting with :insane:

2 minutes ago, Readcomix said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

Do you mean those really thin ones, that make crinkling noises when you touch them, or the Mylites2 from Gerber? The latter ones I like, the former I almost went insane experimenting with :insane:

The thin crinkly PsOS. :p

4 hours ago, CheeseFrog said:

Just be careful about it getting too tight in that bag.

I use silver/golden age Mylites 2 (7 3/4" x 10 1/2") bags and two half-boards. But will probably switch to one full-back plus one half-back.

I don't use anything smaller than silver/golden bags for uniformity-sake and plus there's much less chance of damaging the book or splitting the bag with the 7 3/4" wide silver/golden age Mylite 2s.

Edited by jcjames

Just now, Readcomix said:
1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

The thin crinkly PsOS. :p

Thank you, yes I concur then! And the damn things stick to each other too. Impossible to slide a book in and out from the middle of a box full of them.

My mammy sez dey is the :devil:

I'm also an e.gerber man, Mylites2 Standard (most of my books are copper / modern), with Fullback Standard. I don't buy that many books (pull list has around 3-4 titles per month) so I don't really care too much about the value of the book, I'm putting everything in Mylite2+Fullback. At $35 for a combo-pack of 50 (mylars + fb's) from Amazon, that's $0.70 per set. Small price to pay when you're paying $3 or $4 for the book already.

Different strokes for different folks! :tink: