• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mutants 87 Cover Color Question

7 posts in this topic

New Mutants 87 Cover Color Question

I recently obtained a copy of New Mutants 87 in great condition. It's been sent off for grading but I wanted to post a picture showing  it's bright red cover. It seems that when I look at the same book on eBay that most of the books are more orange in color than red. I am aware of the golden second print issue but I'm referring to the first print. Any thoughts? I'll attach a picture of mine.Mute.jpg.85002a82da1449db27cf01ae64e6c603.jpg

I have the first printing, and it's red. The "brightness" of that red I'm sure varies quite a bit based on how it was kept, fading etc. 2nd printing is Gold as you mentioned. There was no other "in-between" cover.

Ah yes.  Let's all go back to kindergarten and we'll relearn about color shall we?  

Yellow + Red mixed together makes Orange 

Printing basics

KCMY (Black, Cyan, Magenta And Yellow) 

Each printing plate is made up these 4 colors (4 Color Press). 

Then background is made to look bright red, in order to make bright red, you need to add yellow to the magenta (red) because magenta is more of a pinkish color when printed on paper. 

As the press is running, the press operator adds each color from a console by pushing the keys (buttons)  for each area of the book. When the desired color is achieved or close to it, they start saving the product.

Since either the ink in the fountian is controlled by a sensor when it starts getting low, it refills automatically from an ink leveler or by hand. When either the ink leveler eye isn't working properly, the ink will run low causing the red ink to fade away and since yellow and red makes orange, more yellow is exposed underneath the magenta, making your NM 87 appear more orange than the bright red it should be. The press operator should have had those books thrown out but either he doesn't care, missed it or is so concerned about his waste count, he saved them away and out the door they went and now threads are created asking "Why does my comic look like this"?? 

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!!

G.I Joe!!  

I've had multiple copies over the years ranging from Orange to Red.   You see the same thing with Hulk 181. 

It's for the reason(s) that Kevin so snarkily explained.