• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd Mcfarllane Hulk - Is it worth it yet?

41 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Don't see this being worth anything near 65K any time soon, if at all

Image quality and artists style has to play into the desirability/price. He hadn't fully developed the McHulk style yet for a few issues and this isn't recognizably HIM yet. 

2 minutes ago, Twanj said:

Image quality and artists style has to play into the desirability/price. He hadn't fully developed the McHulk style yet for a few issues and this isn't recognizably HIM yet. 

Totally agree. The art gets a serious bump for being McFarlane but clearly not yet in his signature style. Another plus for being a Hulk cover but a minus for not having Hulk on the cover. I would be curious to see how far it would get bid up if auctioned off. 

5 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Totally agree. The art gets a serious bump for being McFarlane but clearly not yet in his signature style. Another plus for being a Hulk cover but a minus for not having Hulk on the cover. I would be curious to see how far it would get bid up if auctioned off. 

I would guess 25?   I'd rather have absolutely any mcfarlane ASM cover over this one and I think so would everyone else.    So I think this has to slide in under the most entry level of ASM  covers which are probably 40?   They were 30 but I imagine have rebounded a little since the time when a number were sold at once.

Edited by Bronty

9 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I would guess 25?   I'd rather have absolutely any mcfarlane ASM cover over this one and I think so would everyone else.    So I think this has to slide in under the most entry level of ASM  covers which are probably 40?   They were 30 but I imagine have rebounded a little since the time when a number were sold at once.

As mentioned earlier, I know it's been a whole year but...I'd rather have this cover 100% of the time

"Incredible Hulk #343, cover by Todd McFarlane – Sold for $23,750 in May 2016 on ComicLink"

4.-1.jpg?ssl=1

13 minutes ago, Twanj said:

As mentioned earlier, I know it's been a whole year but...I'd rather have this cover 100% of the time

"Incredible Hulk #343, cover by Todd McFarlane – Sold for $23,750 in May 2016 on ComicLink"

4.-1.jpg?ssl=1

If this went for ~$24K, I would see the 330 cover hammering at significantly less. 

41 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

If this went for ~$24K, I would see the 330 cover hammering at significantly less. 

From what I know the owner took a loss of about 4-5k when the cover was sold. He was not happy. Whoever bought got a good deal as it's one the top McFarlane Hulk covers.

IMO it's a 30k+ cover.

20 minutes ago, Kohei said:

Isn't that the cover to McFarlane's first issue on the series and his first work at Marvel?

Yes, issue 330 was his first Hulk issue. I believe he did a Daredevil issue right before though. (issue 241 I believe) So first Hulk issue but not first Marvel work?

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

It was mentioned earlier, but apparently hulk IS on the cover.   At samson's feet; drawn too small.   

Here's a published cover image so we can see that Hulk is there. It's just hard to see him in the clutter in b&w. Color helps him be noticed for sure. But another reason that this was super early for Todd and before he found his groove and developed.

18635_20060503175008_large.jpg

7 minutes ago, Madman1138 said:

Here's a published cover image so we can see that Hulk is there. It's just hard to see him in the clutter in b&w. Color helps him be noticed for sure. But another reason that this was super early for Todd and before he found his groove and developed.

My take is a little different as some of the Infinity Inc work was already starting to look more like the todd we know and the Samson figure here does have a fairly dynamic pose - to me this looks more like a case of an inker overwhelming what todd was trying to do, and with negative effects

Edited by Bronty

6 minutes ago, Bronty said:

My take is a little different as some of the Infinity Inc work was already starting to look more like the todd we know and the Samson figure here does have a fairly dynamic pose - to me this looks more like a case of an inker overwhelming what todd was trying to do, and with negative effects

I agree. Todd sometimes had issue with heavy handed inkers, which I think is why he started inking himself during his ASM run. Some of his Infinity Inc stuff was already showing signs of his promise. I used to have a great splash from his Infinity Inc run that I sorely regret selling. But his Marvel stuff is what I truly love the most.

5 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

Don't see this being worth anything near 65K any time soon, if at all

The only way it's ever worth $65K, IMO, is if there is raging hyperinflation and it takes a wheelbarrow full of cash to buy your groceries.  In inflation-adjusted terms, I don't see this cover EVER being worth $65K in 2017 dollars.  EVER. 

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

Having a journeyman inker like Tom Morgan certainly hindered the cover and is likely to depress its value.

4 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

The Hulk on the cover is Rick Jones.  The guy Doc Samson is holding on the left of the cover is Bruce Banner.

That was the point I was trying to (more subtly) make. The cover doesn't have the Hulk (I don't consider Rick Jones to be the Hulk). 

Yeah I dunno.   Green skin?  check.   Purple pants?  check.

I don't consider Jim Rhodes to be Iron Man, but if I'm looking at the cover of Iron Man 170, I don't think.. 'there no Iron Man on that cover'

7 hours ago, Bronty said:

Yeah I dunno.   Green skin?  check.   Purple pants?  check.

I don't consider Jim Rhodes to be Iron Man, but if I'm looking at the cover of Iron Man 170, I don't think.. 'there no Iron Man on that cover'

You make a fair point and I completely understand ... and the Iron man case is a good example. However, for me as a Hulk collector, it just is not the Hulk and places the art in a different category completely. Not to say that I am not interested, just to a (often very) lesser degree. It was the same when they were calling the Red Hulk the Hulk - not the Hulk in my eyes. The same with the current Amadeus Cho that Marvel wants to call the Hulk, etc. 

On 6/12/2017 at 10:37 PM, Panelfan1 said:

Todd Mcfarllane Hulk - Is it worth it yet?

So this cover is up on Ebay at the same price for over 4 years now. 65k.

Wondering what others think? 

The market in general has gone up a ton over this time period.  Is this item finally worth the asking price, but now too stale to sell?  Or is it still overpriced?

Ebay link

$_1.jpg

I wouldn't $650 for that cover, much less $65K. As I said in another thread, I buy what is aethetically pleasing to me. And that cover, no matter if it's by McFarlane, is not.