• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on cva?

55 posts in this topic

Opinions on cva?

Hi , I was just wondering what people's general opinion of cva is ? I was considering sending a few of my books of to get cva 'd , and was curious if it was worth it, my potential candidates would be an asm 129 9.8 , and hulk 181 9.8

IMG_0146.PNG

I would say it depends on your motivation @Bigsexy

Personally, I don't need CVA to tell me a book has outstanding eye appeal any more than I do CGC to tell me a book is 8.5

But if your motivation is financial, I would imagine their sticker could have a positive bearing on the sale price of the type of books you're referring to.

16 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

I would say it depends on your motivation @Bigsexy

Personally, I don't need CVA to tell me a book has outstanding eye appeal any more than I do CGC to tell me a book is 8.5

But if your motivation is financial, I would imagine their sticker could have a positive bearing on the sale price of the type of books you're referring to.

There has been absolutely no indication that this has been the case in the past. Books that look fantastic for their grade sell for a (slight) premium with or without a CVA sticker.

5 hours ago, mschmidt said:

There has been absolutely no indication that this has been the case in the past. Books that look fantastic for their grade sell for a (slight) premium with or without a CVA sticker.

I'm with you guys. Racket. If you think the book is worth the $$ to add the sticker, it's more likely worth taking a shot on a resubmit and thinking somebody blew the call the day it was graded. Mistakes happen occasionally, both high and low.

Even with slabbed books, as best I can see the book, I buy the book and not the technical grade. The number upper left is a  consolation, knowing many buyers prize technical grade over aesthetics when push comes to shove, but aesthetics is my keeper priority. (Of course, I prefer a book to have both; Splittting hairs here for the sake of discussion). That said, obviously a higher numerical grade gives more confidence to the vast majority of sellers. And buyers too, probably. But a book with a high numeric attached that does not appear as nice as graded is one I will pass on, (unless we are talking about GA rarities; I mean generally plentiful books).

As a buyer, I think the whole .2 gradations above 9.0 but nowhere else is silly. As a seller, I appreciate it for those who value the distinction. As long as people buy like this, it's important when viewing your books as an investment. 

Am a bit confused. Is CVA a totally separate company from Cgc or Voldemort grading? For keys, it seems like a pretty CVA sticker definately ramps up the hammer price at auction. e.g. AF #15 Cgc 8.0 CVA that sold for MORE $$ on Comic Link than an AF #15 Cgc 8.5 no chipping, blue label that sold a couple of months earlier.

1 minute ago, aardvark88 said:

Am a bit confused. Is CVA a totally separate company from Cgc or Voldemort grading? For keys, it seems like a pretty CVA sticker definately ramps up the hammer price at auction. e.g. AF #15 Cgc 8.0 CVA that sold for MORE $$ on Comic Link than an AF #15 Cgc 8.5 no chipping, blue label that sold a couple of months earlier.

But was that due to the sticker, or that it was a more eye-appealing copy to begin with?

Personally, I wouldn't spend the time and money to get CVA stickers. Most buyers know when a book looks exceptional for the grade without one. If you are in doubt just send me a scan and for $5 paypalled, I'll tell you. 

Voldemort grading already has a check mark that they place on the front corner of their slabbed label to designate that the technical grade of the comic is say 6.0 but it has above average eye appeal. Have to admit a shiny silver CVA sticker is more pronounced and may get bidders to squint at your pics or scans more for higher bids. :nyah:

8 hours ago, mschmidt said:

Fair enough.

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

But was that due to the sticker, or that it was a more eye-appealing copy to begin with?

Personally, I wouldn't spend the time and money to get CVA stickers. Most buyers know when a book looks exceptional for the grade without one. If you are in doubt just send me a scan and for $5 paypalled, I'll tell you. 

lol I will do it for $4.00

46 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

Am I understanding this correctly -  there is a service that grades your grade?  If so, that leads to a very obvious question: 

Then who grades your grader's grader? (not where you thought I was going, I bet)

This is the heart of it all (thumbsu

It's not like medicine, law, engineering or accounting -- there is no certifying body setting and licensing to standards.

I realize I am in the minority but I like the CVA sticker. However, in your case, both books are 9.8 and should speak for themselves. I like CVA for low grade up to 8.5 range. After that the grade alone should do the talking. In the lower grades the CVA sticker tells me the book looks good for it's grade. In uber high grade, no need.

41 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I realize I am in the minority but I like the CVA sticker. However, in your case, both books are 9.8 and should speak for themselves. I like CVA for low grade up to 8.5 range. After that the grade alone should do the talking. In the lower grades the CVA sticker tells me the book looks good for it's grade. In uber high grade, no need.

Maybe cgc can just carry the grade out another decimal place.

It just seems this is like, 'Oh, CGC gave it an 8.5?  Gimme $20.' 

10 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I suppose it's similar to grading. Put in the time and do your research and you will become competent or even proficient in spotting comics with great eye appeal. I certainly don't need CVA to tell me what slabbed comic has the best eye appeal and I'm certainly not going to waste my money on such nonsense.