• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on cva?

55 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Pardon me sir but weren't you the one that posted about buying some NM books at a convention and didn't take the books out of the bag and board until getting home. At that point you were concerned about some markings. In light of that, I find your comments here humorous. Sorry. 

Happy to have made you laugh. 

11 hours ago, Deleted said:

It's one of the reasons I dislike the CGC process. Judging a book on structural integrity alone, and ignoring eye appeal, means you can be disappointed with a 9.4 book when you find it miswrapped or miscut etc.

My ASM 121 is a 9.0 and it looks so much better than my 122 which is a 9.4. I find that odd. 

So I recognise that CGC and CVA have their place, but I prefer the old way of judging your books yourself. 

Offer me a CGC with a CVA and I'll take it. But resto aside, I don't require the expertise of either company.

In CGC's case, I personally find the subjectivity element on grading coupled with the absence of eye appeal rating alarming when a one point move can have such a huge financial impact.

It still beats buying blind through catalogs from dealers, even ones you respect. Yes, buying in person is still the best way to go, as even scans of slabs don't show everything, but 20 years ago, you weren't going to get a high resolution color image of a book you were thinking about buying via mail. Eye-appeal, or lack thereof, has as much potential for effecting value as a 1.0 shift in assigned grade.

I am confused as to why these CVA stickers are getting so much hate from Boardies. First off, as a buyer, the CVA stickers don't cost you anything. If you notice, they are mostly used by Comiclink, whose auctions never show a pic of the Back cover. They are small and can be removed easily. So why is everyone annoyed ? It's just more information that you can use to make a better purchasing decision.  (shrug)

29 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I am confused as to why these CVA stickers are getting so much hate from Boardies. First off, as a buyer, the CVA stickers don't cost you anything. If you notice, they are mostly used by Comiclink, whose auctions never show a pic of the Back cover. They are small and can be removed easily. So why is everyone annoyed ? It's just more information that you can use to make a better purchasing decision.  (shrug)

As a buyer I don't care one way or another, but the consensus seems to be that it is a service few would pay for. I realize many said the same about CGC when it started, but CVA has been around long enough to have made an impact if it were going to. 

29 minutes ago, rjpb said:

As a buyer I don't care one way or another, but the consensus seems to be that it is a service few would pay for. I realize many said the same about CGC when it started, but CVA has been around long enough to have made an impact if it were going to. 

I totally concur with your statement. But if you read through this thread, the very existence of these stickers seem to get folks riled up. Puzzling.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I totally concur with your statement. But if you read through this thread, the very existence of these stickers seem to get folks riled up. Puzzling.

People riled up on the internet? How unusual.

On 6/14/2017 at 7:41 PM, Jeffro. said:

Well, the technical grade doesn't always take eye appeal into account. You can have comics with sharp corners and no spine tics that grade out at 9.6 or 9.4 but also have a front to back miswrap. Lots of people don't want a book with a miswrap. There's also printers creases to contend with. Printer's creases often reduce the eye appeal of a comic but not the technical grade

It does and it doesn't.  You won't find a 10 with a miswrap for example.  For the things not taken into account, I think using one's own eyes is sufficient.  I'm probably in the minority here, but I also think that the grade is enough.  If you want a perfect book, buy a 10 or wait to save up for a 10.  It boggles the mind that a 10pt scale with 10ths needs to be escalated by a fourth party.  I think it's probably inevitable that CGC will carry out to the hundredths, at which point i'll be happy to be out of collecting.

11 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:
On 6/14/2017 at 8:41 PM, Jeffro. said:

Well, the technical grade doesn't always take eye appeal into account. You can have comics with sharp corners and no spine tics that grade out at 9.6 or 9.4 but also have a front to back miswrap. Lots of people don't want a book with a miswrap. There's also printers creases to contend with. Printer's creases often reduce the eye appeal of a comic but not the technical grade

It does and it doesn't.  You won't find a 10 with a miswrap for example.  For the things not taken into account, I think using one's own eyes is sufficient.  I'm probably in the minority here, but I also think that the grade is enough.  If you want a perfect book, buy a 10 or wait to save up for a 10.  It boggles the mind that a 10pt scale with 10ths needs to be escalated by a fourth party.  I think it's probably inevitable that CGC will carry out to the hundredths, at which point i'll be happy to be out of collecting.

That works for you and that's great. For some, the technical grade is enough. For some it isn't. Not all 9.6s (for example) are created equal but that's a matter of personal preference. 

15 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

That works for you and that's great. For some, the technical grade is enough. For some it isn't. Not all 9.6s (for example) are created equal but that's a matter of personal preference. 

Indeed.  Different strokes for different folks.  I may find it ludicrous to need grader grades, but if another needs it, it doesn't hurt anyone, so have at it.  Being satisfied is what's important, not that everyone gets there the same way.

Edited by SteppinRazor

On 6/14/2017 at 3:26 PM, Mercury Man said:

The graders grader has a grader who graders their graders grade......DUH!! 

Which begs the question: How many grades could a grader's grader grade if a grader's grader could grade grades?

On 6/15/2017 at 9:43 PM, SteppinRazor said:

CVA could be thought of as training wheels for the novice graded comic buyer or assurance for online purchases with limited view of the book.

However, there are 2 things to note about CVA that lessen even the above justification:

1. It doesn't certify that the copy is the most exceptional for its grade out of all existing copies as its unlikely they have been able to examine and compare all existing graded copies of a book in grade.

2. Their standards for exceptionality may not represent yours.

I saw 2 copys of the same issue for sale in the same CGC grade and page quality. One had a CVA sticker. The other didnt. The one that didn't had much better eye appeal: perfect wrap, centering, and staple alignment. 

A novice collector might opt for the one with CVA thinking it was some how superior to all other copies. The majority of us on here would go with the one that presented better for us.

Btw, 10.0s dont always have perfect wraps or centering.  And many issues don't have a 10.0 copy or even a 9.9 copy which do come with miswraps and off-white to white pages.  I'll take a better presenting 9.8 W over the 9.9 or 10.

7 hours ago, justafan said:

Btw, 10.0s dont always have perfect wraps or centering.  And many issues don't have a 10.0 copy or even a 9.9 copy which do come with miswraps and off-white to white pages.  I'll take a better presenting 9.8 W over the 9.9 or 10.

If that's true, then I agree with you on preference, because it means 9.9 or 10 are just a rating of your grader's good mood.