• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM: Batman #181

9 posts in this topic

PGM: Batman #181

Hello, my very first post here and I wanted some opinions on whether or not this copy of Batman #181 is actually worth grading for selling or left raw. I have had an offer on it but being new to selling, I am doing research to prevent myself from possibly getting ripped-off. I hope I have done these correctly and, as you will see, the copy has had lots of usage, having been with me for nearly  fifty years and moved house with me five times.

The cover has colour breaking creases, worn and small missing piece to the upper right, also wear and creasing along the middle of the bottom edge. The spine is not too bad, no splits, the obvious ticks but the staples are held well, with no rust. Overall, I would say the comic's integrity is good, the staples are tight and holding well...no loose pages. Centre spread is intact, no missing pages and nothing clipped out of the comic.

Cover-181.thumb.jpg.0b0424ada4af41b344aea085c74331be.jpgCentreSpread.thumb.jpg.b01bb33d106daec737b6b973a1c8da29.jpgBC---181.thumb.jpg.9c3c4853b890c246c667642b2fec9560.jpgSpine.thumb.jpg.82476df45e8e66a0c0d2c08c4343e421.jpg

Many thanks in advance.

It's a pretty sweet book, classic, but a low-grade condition.  Assuming it grades around a 3.0 - 3.5 you could feasibly sell it for around $200.  Probably not worth the trouble of getting it graded, as you could probably sell it for about the same "as-is" on eBay.  You could put it up for an auction and see what happens.

I wondered about pressing and cleaning but I am worried that it would make the comic worse and may not be worth the expense. I am based in the Scotland and these kind of services, such as cleaning and grading, don't seem to be on offer in these parts.  In fact. local comic stores are quite a rarity.

3 minutes ago, Sean Van Vleet said:

It's a pretty sweet book, classic, but a low-grade condition.  Assuming it grades around a 3.0 - 3.5 you could feasibly sell it for around $200.  Probably not worth the trouble of getting it graded, as you could probably sell it for about the same "as-is" on eBay.  You could put it up for an auction and see what happens.

I had an offer of $150 from the states, which seems reasonable.
There is so much on eBay that prices seem to go from one extreme to the other.

Edited by FromTheSkyDown

1 minute ago, FromTheSkyDown said:

I wondered about pressing and cleaning but I am worried that it would make the comic worse and may not be worth the expense. I am based in the Scotland and these kind of services, such as cleaning and grading, don't seem to be on offer in these parts.  In fact. local comic stores are quite a rarity.

Take the offer and run.  Some pretty big issues with book that pressing won't help.  Looking at sold auctions on ebay I think it's worth closer to $100 (2.0-2.5).  Might be a worthy project for some pro/home presser to flip as a 4.0 if they're lucky.

Thank you for the responses, I didn't expect them so quickly!

From what I can read here, I think I will keep it raw, put it into a quality bag and board and take up the $150 offer.  I also have the Batman #251 Jim Aparo 'Joker' cover, which is in decent condition and he is also interested in taking that at the same time, once I get a price in mind.