• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,088 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Hekla said:

Heroes for Hire cover bt Jay Anacleto $6500 on ebay by a habitual flipper (the ‘horror-scfi-cgc-nude-gga-sleeze’ 

I don't understand using search words in the title of an auction that has nothing to do with what you are selling.  Also, has anybody, ever, used "sleeze" as a search word while browsing comic art?  

Edited by Mickey7

2 hours ago, Mickey7 said:

I don't understand using search words in the title of an auction that has nothing to do with what you are selling.  Also, has anybody, ever, used "sleeze" as a search word while browsing comic art?  

I wondered the same thing.  

My guess - is some words in a title are meant to 'sell' it - not help anyone find it.  

For example if it says 'fantastic cover' - you look at it - and almost subliminally - you think to yourself. That cover IS FANTASTIC.  Then you buy it.

Might be a reach..

ROM #61 page 14 by Ditko/Guice.  Just sold in the COMICLINK FOCUSED AUCTION on Friday, Feb. 2 for $1,005.

http://comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1230305

Now on CAF "accepting offers." But don't make an offer too quickly as I highly doubt Mr. Essington even has the page in his possession.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1451141&GSub=171439

On 2/4/2018 at 6:06 PM, Mickey7 said:

Out of curiosity, I went to Comic Art Tracker, and the result was surprisingly good. The closest thing to real sleaze was this one, and it's very well done (particularly at $375). So much so, I'm tempted to buy it:

$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

And then there's the more traditional stuff, which in its own myopic way, is more sleazy than the first one:

192443867906_1_0_1.jpg

This could actually become a fun, solitary game to play: pick a word, plug it into CAT, and see what surprises the world has in store. 

Edited by Rick2you2

On 8/8/2017 at 12:28 PM, BCarter27 said:

I have conflicting feelings about this thread. On the one hand, I support everyone's efforts to discuss whatever aspect of the hobby they like.

However, I think many are failing to remember a few things...

1. Flipping is just a matter of timing. Eventually we are all selling. Even if you are sitting on an "inventory" piece for a few years that you have no attachment to, you are still flipping. I've had some of the top collectors in the hobby tell me, "If you see something undervalued, pick it up." It's either resale or trade bait for the stuff you really love. Because bargain opportunities are rare. And bargain opportunities for grail pieces are almost impossible. So you take the bargain opportunity and resell/trade your way to the grail. So, I don't buy into this "true collector" idea. Being a seller-collector makes you a better buyer-collector. It sharpens your eye. And if you've traded/resold your way to a grail piece while on a budget, you worked a lot harder for it than the so-called "true collector" who just wrote the check.

2. And this is the WAY more important point. Flipping is good for the market. It is an attempted sale after the "OMG, it's fresh to market! I MUST have it!" wears off. It acts as a much-needed price check when the flip isn't successful. When it is successful, it is usually a matter of marketing or a change of venue -- which is often useful in this age of art explosion. Someone on the boards rightly said a few months ago that between ebay, the auction houses, CAF, etc. you can live & breathe this stuff constantly. The high rollers are usually busy people. They only show up to event auctions and may ignore the in-between stuff.

3.It is up to the first seller to price fairly so they have no regrets when it is resold. Everything else is just nonsense. Adam Hughes knows now not to give away his art. That's a tough lesson for any artist in any field.

4. Finally, don't step on another man's hustle.

Well said. I hadn’t thought of it like that. I’m new to this hobby and learning a lot. 

6 hours ago, Mftonto said:

Well said. I hadn’t thought of it like that. I’m new to this hobby and learning a lot. 

That's only one person's philosophy; it is certainly not mine. To me "flipping" is buying something with the intent to quickly resell it. I consider it different than "collecting", and different than even more typical forms of "buy and hold" investing. 

The essence of collecting is to own some group of things because you prize them for their intrinsic worth. If you think that "Dogs Playing Poker" on black velvet is the most beautiful thing you ever saw, that's a purchase. Add a Spanish Senorita on black velvet, and you're a collector of black velvet paintings (and don't expect me to ever set foot in your art exhibition room without laughing my off). 

Sometimes, collectors fall out of love. Sometimes, they need the money. So, they sell. That is not flipping. When you buy something with the intent to make it your own, and if you have more than one, you are a collector. That's where I sit. 

I don't think flipping is necessarily bad for a market; if someone can find a bargain and make extra money, good for him/her. But, it's not good for a small market, like this one, because the relatively small pool of buyers and huge amounts of information about sales cause markets to overheat too easily.  Even big markets overheat, like the stock market, and then they sometimes crash. In the stock market, it's usually the little investor who gets hurt worst. It can also be the little guy who tries his hand at purchasing to flip and gets burned when the market corrects itself. For a regular flipper, I don't shed tears. 

If you want to enjoy this hobby, my suggestion is you buy something you like, after you get a sense of how pricing works in the market, and check pricing history of similar pieces first. 

One last point. I have only been here a short time, but this is a fun place to be. Just saying.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:06 PM, Mickey7 said:

Maybe people looking for sleezy art?

3 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

It's one thing to buy art under FMV (say at a local con, or a garage sale) and turn around and sell or auction it off.  It's quite another thing to bid and win a page of art on Clink or HA, and then IMMEDIATELY offer it up for sale elsewhere, before you even have the art in hand from the auction house.  THAT IS FLIPPING.

I  see your distinction. Although I consider them both to be flipping, with one being more aggressive than the other, the English language does allow for a "big tent" with words.

Now, mutual Attaboy time. How many other chat boards would be able to have someone casually write: "Go buy tulips if you must", and have the perfectly reasonable expectation that other people will understand exactly what you mean? 

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

"Go buy tulips if you must", and have the perfectly reasonable expectation that other people will understand exactly what you mean? 

No, it's because we've been beat over the head with the tulip thing for months now.

On 07/02/2018 at 4:10 PM, Mftonto said:
  On 08/08/2017 at 1:28 PM, BCarter27 said:

I have conflicting feelings about this thread. On the one hand, I support everyone's efforts to discuss whatever aspect of the hobby they like.

However, I think many are failing to remember a few things...

1. Flipping is just a matter of timing. Eventually we are all selling. Even if you are sitting on an "inventory" piece for a few years that you have no attachment to, you are still flipping. I've had some of the top collectors in the hobby tell me, "If you see something undervalued, pick it up." It's either resale or trade bait for the stuff you really love. Because bargain opportunities are rare. And bargain opportunities for grail pieces are almost impossible. So you take the bargain opportunity and resell/trade your way to the grail. So, I don't buy into this "true collector" idea. Being a seller-collector makes you a better buyer-collector. It sharpens your eye. And if you've traded/resold your way to a grail piece while on a budget, you worked a lot harder for it than the so-called "true collector" who just wrote the check.

2. And this is the WAY more important point. Flipping is good for the market. It is an attempted sale after the "OMG, it's fresh to market! I MUST have it!" wears off. It acts as a much-needed price check when the flip isn't successful. When it is successful, it is usually a matter of marketing or a change of venue -- which is often useful in this age of art explosion. Someone on the boards rightly said a few months ago that between ebay, the auction houses, CAF, etc. you can live & breathe this stuff constantly. The high rollers are usually busy people. They only show up to event auctions and may ignore the in-between stuff.

3.It is up to the first seller to price fairly so they have no regrets when it is resold. Everything else is just nonsense. Adam Hughes knows now not to give away his art. That's a tough lesson for any artist in any field.

4. Finally, don't step on another man's hustle.

I don't mean to single you out, but when I read through this, it flowed reasonably well until point 4. Particularly, this notion of interference.

As someone who considers himself a collector, and reluctant seller, I can tell you that the logic bust happens with your notion of interefering with another man's "hustle."

My issue is a seller interfering with my pursuit of adding to my collection. As you might imagine, seeing a seller buy something and price it at multiples of what they paid soon after their purchase isn't going to go over well, and the roles are reversed about who is actually interfering with whom.

If a seller decides doing this kind of thing is justified, and is "harder work" than a collector who simply writes a cheque, my retort is the hardest work will come having to defend themselves against the litany of criticism from collectors who don't appreciate the way their actions are artificially driving up the market.

Interesting thread. I am at work and don't have time to read it all but I like this point:

3. It is up to the first seller to price fairly so they have no regrets when it is resold. Everything else is just nonsense. Adam Hughes knows now not to give away his art. That's a tough lesson for any artist in any field.

If you are unaware of the actual value, then its a lesson learned. 

If it is just a upward trend that you did not anticipate, then you are like most other people.