• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,088 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

May it sit there and rot.

ha while i love this thread the one sad part is the actions of these people sometimes make ones love a piece turn to hatred and it has nothing to do with the art but the circumstances surrounding it. i have had it happen. it stinks. the art is the same but you are instantly soured to it bc of outside influences.

8 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

the one sad part is the actions of these people sometimes make ones love a piece turn to hatred and it has nothing to do with the art but the circumstances surrounding it.

Isn't that just human nature? Taken from a different direction, do you have little keepsakes from people you care about? What makes them so valuable isn't their intrinsic worth but their value as a momento. I value a fair number of my OA pieces as experience reminders, apart from the art, like a Phantom Stranger sketch by Byrne and Rubinstein which reminds me of the conversation I had with Byrne about comics and the industry (after over 35 years, no less).

I don't have any OA hate experiences, but I have some keepsakes from bad experiences. I keep them around to remind me of what next to avoid. Everything has a silver lining if you look for it.

27 minutes ago, cloud cloddie said:

That piece is so Kyle Baker -heavy it's unreal. Which actually makes it pretty good and a breakout imo. For the discerning Baker fan. $750 though..? That's pushing the ceiling, no matter what it just recently sold for. It's nice. I like it. And missed it when it was at HA (I mean, didn't even notice it).

On 3/19/2018 at 10:11 AM, vodou said:

That piece is so Kyle Baker -heavy it's unreal. Which actually makes it pretty good and a breakout imo. For the discerning Baker fan. $750 though..? That's pushing the ceiling, no matter what it just recently sold for. It's nice. I like it. And missed it when it was at HA (I mean, didn't even notice it).

And now on eBay for $955

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1986-Marvel-New-Mutants-40-Page-18-Avengers-Original-Art-Signed-Jackson-Butch/302683313288?item=302683313288

22 hours ago, Shemp said:

If it doesn't sell, raise the price..I see it happen all the time!

21 hours ago, suspense39 said:

I worked in San Francisco in the 90s as an assistant wine buyer at a restaurant.....and if the wine didn’t sell, we raised the price and it sold better....go figure 

All the Secrets of the Universe:

ariely.jpg?1275509067

On 3/29/2018 at 7:02 PM, suspense39 said:

I worked in San Francisco in the 90s as an assistant wine buyer at a restaurant.....and if the wine didn’t sell, we raised the price and it sold better....go figure 

Yup, perceived value. I grew up in a farming community and our neighbor put half-a-dozen or so empty 55 gallon drums beside the road with a sign that read 'Free'. They sat there for 3-4 days. He then changed the sign to '$10 Each' and someone 'stole' them that night.

32 minutes ago, jabats said:

I wonder if Anthony bought it? Or did someone buy it and then immediately trade it..

It was bought from the artist and immediately flipped to Anthony.

3 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

That link no longer works.  What was it?

A Cho Spider-Man piece. Now listed as ON HOLD at Anthonys.

30221801_1582927928472649_79632907381682

Edited by Bird

anthony has a ton of art and is usually fair with pricing. the exception seems to be when he gets something he views as above average. he prices those things higher than they might otherwise be worth at the time. not coolyness level mind you -but not a quick flip item either.   not sure if he still has it -but he was selling a cho avengers cover for 10k - unsold for years. then raised the price even higher.