• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,075 posts in this topic

What would he say anyway? IF there is a legitimate explanation to justify a doubling and near doubling of value in weeks to several months, I'd love to hear it.

Edited by comicwiz

13 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

What would he say anyway? IF there is a legitimate explanation to justify a doubling and near doubling of value in weeks to several months, I'd love to hear it.

This is the norm in most collectible art it seems.

What someone asks and what they will take if you put some serious cash in their face are 2 different things. He's asking $85-90k. He paid $59k 2 months ago. Do you really think is someone dropped $70-75k on the table at his booth he would turn it down? Anything is possible but my money would be on $old!

On 7/20/2018 at 8:43 PM, Flambit said:

Well the good news is he was willing to come all the way down to 85k!  So please keep your lines orderly.   

Hey ...(Flambit) I realize this site allows trolls to whine who aren't man enough to tell the truth nor share their real name here......and that's fine, as those are the rules here.... ...... but you should really stop lying.........it's getting old....

Edited by romitaman

2 hours ago, romitaman said:

Hey ...(Flambit) I realize this site allows trolls to whine who aren't man enough to tell the truth nor share their real name here......and that's fine, as those are the rules here.... ...... but you should really stop lying.........it's getting old....

What am I lying about?  

Mike, my name is Sam.  I saw the 163 cover on your wall at SDCC a few days ago.  I asked you about it, either Friday or Saturday afternoon, and you said it was 90k, but you would do 85k.  I guess my comment was overly snarky, sure, but the whole point of this thread is about flipping pieces at extreme prices in very short periods of time, and since that piece sold for 59k in May and you're asking 90k, I feel like that qualifies for inclusion in this thread.  

Honestly, I think your prices otherwise aren't that bad!  

Edited by Flambit

3 hours ago, Flambit said:

What am I lying about?  

Mike, my name is Sam.  I saw the 163 cover on your wall at SDCC a few days ago.  I asked you about it, either Friday or Saturday afternoon, and you said it was 90k, but you would do 85k.  I guess my comment was overly snarky, sure, but the whole point of this thread is about flipping pieces at extreme prices in very short periods of time, and since that piece sold for 59k in May and you're asking 90k, I feel like that qualifies for inclusion in this thread.  

Flambit, I know it is a large dollar increase, but it isn't that far off from a reasonable rate of return. At 85K, the price is about 30% higher than the purchase price. Allowing for overhead (like attending SDCC or financing costs) and profit, that's high but not crazy high. If you were a serious buyer, you could probably get it to $80 (+/-) which is about 26% over purchase. Maybe, you could do even better depending on the situation.  

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Flambit, I know it is a large dollar increase, but it isn't that far off from a reasonable rate of return. At 85K, the price is about 30% higher than the purchase price. Allowing for overhead (like attending SDCC or financing costs) and profit, that's high but not crazy high. If you were a serious buyer, you could probably get it to $80 (+/-) which is about 26% over purchase. Maybe, you could do even better depending on the situation.  

Still is a Flip
and that is what this particular thread is about.

I don't see Flambit doing anything wrong.
He put his name and information on the open...

10 hours ago, romitaman said:

I’m confused why you’re calling out somebody’s manhood, when you’re the one acting like a little b!+€h. (shrug)

This isn't a new practice for dealers but bring up the interesting point where a lot of times "new" inventory that dealers will have is stuff people can recognize as recently being in an auction a few weeks or months back. You can even see a few pieces that were in the last Heritage auction up on their walls in the pics for SDCC that I recognize. Do they believe that they got a good deal on the piece with it selling under FMV? Or do they just believe that if they hold on to it long enough that the market will eventually catch up to their asking price, or hope that someone like the underbidder from the auction comes by and just has to have it? I could also see these pieces used as trade pieces where they argue them being worth more than what they sold for.

17 hours ago, Flambit said:

What am I lying about?  

HI SAM!!!! 

glad to know your name.... again no hard feelings as we dont know each other personally.....

But since this is a chat board..i will share my 2 cents here on the chat board.

again i know its all bluster when people comment about others who sell art for how much and all...i get it......it's fun and all to put people down when we don't understand their pricing........

FIRSTLY..all people should get pissed at ANYONE who REFUSES to put any VISUAL price on art at a show or online.........

that should be the #1 thing collectors get pissed about as that is someone who is trying to take advantage of all possible buyers...but you can start that thread up later...LOL

But Sam you lied TWICE  in your 2 posts above!!!! 

you said above you never came to my booth at the san Diego show..your quote above was:

"It's at Burkey's booth but I didn't ask him about it"

yet you "NOW? claim you DID come to my booth and ask me my price and I said 85K to you. 

that is your second  LIE!!! (again this is all trival but still)

i got asked about 15 times during the show about the daredevil 163 cover......and to EVERY PERSON..and I do mean "EVERY PERSON WHO ASKED"...i said.... " I HAVE 90K ON IT BUT I CAN GO DOWN TO 80K IF YOU ARE INTERESTED"

so by telling this 85k story online here i quoted you...you are lying not once..... but twice here.... first saying you never came to my booth....yet somehow you DID....and then I quoted you 85k on it.

if you are gonna put down people about their pricing on art that's fine on this "FLIPPING ART" post...... but lying while doing so is not fine and should be called out as lying ..even here.

and listen..i'm not perfect and i make my own share of mistakes as no one is perfect.

that's all I had to say about that...and no hard feelings to you Sam..

For the record...... I collect HULK covers..i own 57 hulk covers between 1968-1987...I bought the dd 163 cover because i remember buying it off the stands as it has "THE HULK" on it.

I put a high price on it because i dont care if it doesnt sell as i love pre 1987 hulk covers...if it does sell...then great...i'll use that money for other art i like more hopefully......if it doesnt.. it'll be just  fine in my collection.

and as someone mentioned about above.....if i got offered 75k cash at the show for it of course i'd sell it and turn that money into something else.

i'm sure people will be saying..."well you just bought it and raised the price right after auction!"........

well i really dont like giving away my personal strategies i use when buying art...but let me just say this.......3 pieces of art i paid 5 figures for in the "VERY LAST" MAY HERITAGE AUCTION...... i already sold for nice profit!!!

i can give you 50-100 examples of art i bought at heritage, comiclink, and everywhere else and resold for 50-100% profit over the past 15 years very soon after the auctions, and all high dollar items.

Maybe i'm the dumb one.......maybe i'm not..... but for collectors to think that comic art is only worth what it sold for in any auction...... is very..... VERY short sighted thinking....i'll just leave it at that.

Mike

Edited by romitaman

1 hour ago, romitaman said:

HI SAM!!!! 

glad to know your name.... again no hard feelings as we dont know each other personally.....

But since this is a chat board..i will share my 2 cents here on the chat board.

again i know its all bluster when people comment about others who sell art for how much and all...i get it......it's fun and all to put people down when we don't understand their pricing........

FIRSTLY..all people should get pissed at ANYONE who REFUSES to put any VISUAL price on art at a show or online.........

that should be the #1 thing collectors get pissed about as that is someone who is trying to take advantage of all possible buyers...but you can start that thread up later...LOL

But Sam you lied TWICE  in your 2 posts above!!!! 

you said above you never came to my booth at the san Diego show..your quote above was:

"It's at Burkey's booth but I didn't ask him about it"

yet you "NOW? claim you DID come to my booth and ask me my price and I said 85K to you. 

that is your second  LIE!!! (again this is all trival but still)

i got asked about 15 times during the show about the daredevil 163 cover......and to EVERY PERSON..and I do mean "EVERY PERSON WHO ASKED"...i said.... " I HAVE 90K ON IT BUT I CAN GO DOWN TO 80K IF YOU ARE INTERESTED"

so by telling this 85k story online here i quoted you...you are lying not once..... but twice here.... first saying you never came to my booth....yet somehow you DID....and then I quoted you 85k on it.

if you are gonna put down people about their pricing on art that's fine on this "FLIPPING ART" post...... but lying while doing so is not fine and should be called out as lying ..even here.

and listen..i'm not perfect and i make my own share of mistakes as no one is perfect.

that's all I had to say about that...and no hard feelings to you Sam..

For the record...... I collect HULK covers..i own 57 hulk covers between 1968-1987...I bought the dd 163 cover because i remember buying it off the stands as it has "THE HULK" on it.

I put a high price on it because i dont care if it doesnt sell as i love pre 1987 hulk covers...if it does sell...then great...i'll use that money for other art i like more hopefully......if it doesnt.. it'll be just  fine in my collection.

and as someone mentioned about above.....if i got offered 75k cash at the show for it of course i'd sell it and turn that money into something else.

i'm sure people will be saying..."well you just bought it and raised the price right after auction!"........

well i really dont like giving away my personal strategies i use when buying art...but let me just say this.......3 pieces of art i paid 5 figures for in the "VERY LAST" MAY HERITAGE AUCTION...... i already sold for nice profit!!!

i can give you 50-100 examples of art i bought at heritage, comiclink, and everywhere else and resold for 50-100% profit over the past 15 years very soon after the auctions, and all high dollar items.

Maybe i'm the dumb one.......maybe i'm not..... but for collectors to think that comic art is only worth what it sold for in any auction...... is very..... VERY short sighted thinking....i'll just leave it at that.

Mike

To be fair, the message where I said I didn't ask you about the piece, if you notice -- I posted that on WEDNESDAY, July 18th - check above!  So, in fact, I had NOT asked you about it!  As I said above, I asked Friday or Saturday.  AFTER I posted the initial message you're talking about!