• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,075 posts in this topic

I'll say that I have "flipped" art when it seemed wise.  Sometimes, you get seller's remorse!  

But, to be critical of a full-time dealer, and it is their livelihood to make money off trading, doesn't add up.  It's their job to make money by buying, trading, and reselling.  I am happy for their contribution to the vibrant market in original comic art.

Just be an educated consumer!

My opinion, David S. Albright

Making money for a dealer is fine, it’s the reason they’re in business.

However burying someone in a piece isn’t cool in my opinion. While I understand that no one wants to leave a cent on the table, some prices really make you shake your head. Unless you’re super wealthy, you often times can’t buy a piece you would love to own. Most collectors have limited means and often stretch themselves thin, it’s the addiction of collecting. I think many dealers know this and play with the emotions of collectors when it comes to pricing.

4 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Making money for a dealer is fine, it’s the reason they’re in business.

However burying someone in a piece isn’t cool in my opinion. While I understand that no one wants to leave a cent on the table, some prices really make you shake your head. Unless you’re super wealthy, you often times can’t buy a piece you would love to own. Most collectors have limited means and often stretch themselves thin, it’s the addiction of collecting. I think many dealers know this and play with the emotions of collectors when it comes to pricing.

I can't speak for everyone else who sells art here.......But personally...I don't ever play on anyone's emotions when i'm selling art....

That sounds quite odd to me to price comic art based on someone's emotions when offering them a piece of art?

I price art what i think it's close to worth retail..and i come down accordingly over time if I've had certain art a while and it hasn't sold,

I dont ever want my inventory to be like a MUSEUM where people look at it and then walk away knowing the prices are too crazy high to spend money with you.

Pricing comic art in reality is always a guess based on past performance of similar items...

But coming up with an EDUCATED GUESS as to current market values and knowing of private sales as well as auction sales will hopefully get your art sold,  based on content, supply and demand for it.

And as i said earlier....when people discuss the QUICK FLIP of this thread.......(me included....which is fine)

I bought 3 art pieces for over 10k in the very last heritage..and I sold all 3 pieces within 4 days of posting them for sale on my Romitaman Art website.

if you offer art for sale at crazy high prices...you wont be in business very long. 

And if you refuse to negotiate with people at shows.......you wont be very successful is how i view it all. (and it helps to not sit there at your booth like a zombie to prospective customers also. LOL

I personally had the greatest San Diego show EVER this year...& i made as much as i did in the previous 2-3 years COMBINED!

Mike

Edited by romitaman

On 7/28/2018 at 1:05 PM, romitaman said:

AGAIN you keep lying sam.....

i already said if you changed your tune and came by twice and asked for a price a second day then fine and i take you at your word.

i'm not sure why i have to explain this now for the 4th time why i posted here to correct your false statements....but i will again for you.....

you said i quoted you 85k on the dd 163 cover...that is a LIE!!!!!!

that entire weekend...anyone who asked about the cover....... i said i have 90k on it but i can come down to 80 if you have serious interest.

that was my quote to EVERY SINGLE PERSON during the 5 days at the show.

Then you post here to say i  quoted you from 90k to 85k with the little dig remark at me of....better hold those lines (because he came down a whopping 5k.)

Bottom line here is......if you cant do the honorable thing  when you weren't being truthful in your earlier post and get called out for it...........that's your choice..

do you stand corrected yet again?

First: that's not what I said you were lying about, and we can discuss that.  

HOWEVER, that's not the lie I'm speaking of.

As I mentioned, YOUR LIE is:

"So sam says NOW he came by my booth TWICE.....not once.....ok ......"

I'll ask you again - not sure why I have to ask you over and over, but:  when did I say I only came by your booth once? 

Once again, for clarity, here are my three posts:

--t's at Burkey's booth but I didn't ask him about it

--Well the good news is he was willing to come all the way down to 85k!  So please keep your lines orderly.   

--What am I lying about?  

Again, Mike, when did I say "So sam says NOW he came by my booth TWICE.....not once.....ok ......"

23 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Why are you looking at Moon Knight art there when all those beautiful New Mutants pages are available for less money?!? :x (Granted, its also vastly overpriced, but still)

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 8/21/2018 at 10:07 PM, Flambit said:

First: that's not what I said you were lying about, and we can discuss that.  

HOWEVER, that's not the lie I'm speaking of.

As I mentioned, YOUR LIE is:

"So sam says NOW he came by my booth TWICE.....not once.....ok ......"

I'll ask you again - not sure why I have to ask you over and over, but:  when did I say I only came by your booth once? 

Once again, for clarity, here are my three posts:

--t's at Burkey's booth but I didn't ask him about it

--Well the good news is he was willing to come all the way down to 85k!  So please keep your lines orderly.   

--What am I lying about?  

Again, Mike, when did I say "So sam says NOW he came by my booth TWICE.....not once.....ok ......"

you lied about the price i quoted you.... (which is the entire debate here) not how many times you came by my booth.

Edited by romitaman

10 minutes ago, romitaman said:

you lied about the price i quoted you.... (which is the entire debate here) not how many times you came by my booth.

I have absolutely no horse in this race, but it sounds like from the back and forth it may have just been either one person misspoke or one person misheard. If the actual price difference is what is really the root of the back and forth.

Asking price is $90K, but you said you'd take $80K. He says asking price was $90K, but you'd take $85K.

9 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I'd laugh at how bad their game is except I'm a fan of Bill S. and I'd have love to have gotten some pages before they started pumping the market. $9k for a mostly empty landscape from New Mutants? Sure, buddy.

5 hours ago, Dokstarr said:

I have absolutely no horse in this race, but it sounds like from the back and forth it may have just been either one person misspoke or one person misheard. If the actual price difference is what is really the root of the back and forth.

Asking price is $90K, but you said you'd take $80K. He says asking price was $90K, but you'd take $85K.

.....and that would be correct or much more accurately....He mis-spoke... Or if he insists i said that which he wrote..... it would then be.......a lie...YES!

Edited by romitaman

Communication breakdown (is what this is)
It's always the same (you guys are going in circles)
I'm having a nervous breakdown (well, not yet but if you guys can’t stop …)
Drive me insane! (where this thread is going)

Edited by JadeGiant

1 hour ago, JadeGiant said:

Communication breakdown (is what this is)
It's always the same (you guys are going in circles)
I'm having a nervous breakdown (well, not yet but if you guys can’t stop …)
Drive me insane! (where this thread is going)

Oh, don't make JadeGaint angry.  You won't like him when he's angry!  :grin:

12 hours ago, Greenlake said:

I'd laugh at how bad their game is except I'm a fan of Bill S. and I'd have love to have gotten some pages before they started pumping the market. $9k for a mostly empty landscape from New Mutants? Sure, buddy.

Probably makes no difference but I think they made an error when they put that page up on the site. Should be a DPS but each page listed individually as $9k (in error?)

image.png.95ce77d44f4e310406ff4f23841a5e6b.png

27 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Does this count as an "attempted flip"?

Sienkiewicz used to run his site with listed prices for things that were more reasonable. When Sal S. took over, things jumped by 250%.

So, this definitely looks like an attempt to move the market.