• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,075 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, lobrac said:

On eBay with countorlokcollectibles2003 for $149.95 BIN

That dude is definitely a wannabe playah. I know who he is but won't post that here. Anyway, you'll regularly see bottom-feeder CL lots end up with him for pretty good markups. There was a Hulk mini-comic complete story a while back, one I happen to remember from my youth so it caught my eye, six page story. His flip was listing each of the six pages for the price he paid for the whole lot of six lol  Good times.

1 hour ago, vodou said:

His flip was listing each of the six pages for the price he paid for the whole lot of six

Five of those six pages were 'sold' as BINs back in January, according to the seller's completed/sold listings filter...

If those are actual 'sales' results, then the 'flips' were 'successful'(?) & likely served to reinforce future arbitrage...

...& if true, then these results also do not support several of Clink's claims. For example,

Sellers have become accustomed to receiving top dollar using both ComicLink Auctions and the ComicLink Exchange–often at least 20% more than anywhere else.

In this instance, & likely too many others, eBay would have been the consignor's 'better' venue..."caveat venditor".

20190308_162235.png

My bad memory...each page getting ca. 50% the full story hammer! Yes, a good flip. We all know CLink is a pickers paradise because of how backward their live platform is. They could just pull it and go back to the totally secure un-hackable mail-in bid form method ;)

On 3/1/2019 at 1:25 PM, Bird said:

You can do both...buy a bargain and flip it for profit

If you buy to Sell it’s a flip some are certainly more  egregious than others but flips all the same 

Flipping doesn’t always have negative connotations and  can be a smart move

I’ve seen bargains before that I wasn’t interested in owning, and would only buy to flip - so I passed. I am not into flipping. It’s hard enough finding good value on the pages I wa t to buy without speculating and going through the whole flipping process. Done find that enjoyable, which is fine. I don’t. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

(attempted) Flop of the Day? 

This Savage Sword of Conan #21 page sold on Heritage in November of 2018 for $1,800

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-buscema-the-savage-sword-of-conan-21-story-page-49-original-art-marvel-1977-/a/7192-94660.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

It's for sale on eBay for $1,500 start bid OBO ($300 less than the purchase price, if in fact the seller was the one who bought it originally from HA.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/John-1975-BUSCEMA-1977-original-CONAN-art-not-Adams-Jack-Kirby-Byrne-Colan/113684578792?hash=item1a782101e8:g:bBYAAOSwqaNciR8U

I also like how the seller managed to include "Adams Jack Kirby Byrne Colan" in a possible eBay search while clearly stating the Conan page is not drawn by any of them. Excellent example of keyword spamming!

3 hours ago, lobrac said:

(attempted) Flop of the Day? 

This Savage Sword of Conan #21 page sold on Heritage in November of 2018 for $1,800

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-buscema-the-savage-sword-of-conan-21-story-page-49-original-art-marvel-1977-/a/7192-94660.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

It's for sale on eBay for $1,500 start bid OBO ($300 less than the purchase price, if in fact the seller was the one who bought it originally from HA.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/John-1975-BUSCEMA-1977-original-CONAN-art-not-Adams-Jack-Kirby-Byrne-Colan/113684578792?hash=item1a782101e8:g:bBYAAOSwqaNciR8U

I also like how the seller managed to include "Adams Jack Kirby Byrne Colan" in a possible eBay search while clearly stating the Conan page is not drawn by any of them. Excellent example of keyword spamming!

There are lots of reasons to be wary of auction statistics, as you say.  At this value, I think there is a chance the buyer just changed their mind.  Possibly when they got the piece in hand. 
Keyword spam noted, and it seems ebay just can't completely audit the volume of submissions these days.

From HA on this lot.....

Internet/Mail Bids: 19
Lot Tracking Activity: N/A
Page Views: 588

16 minutes ago, MagnusX said:

Creeper # 11 Cover
Sold on Clink last month for $ 575.00
On Ebay now for $ 1,299.95

again countorlokcollectibles2003
Link...

Actually a cool cover.  Bought at auction, trying for retail.  Not mine.  Make an offer!

Edited by aokartman
clarify

On 4/15/2019 at 7:25 PM, Ironmandrd said:

But doesn't a shill bid/win still have to pay fees?  That would add up, yes? 

I guess this counts as flipping since it will be at least twice the price now...

’Sold’ on eBay March 31 for $1691

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Butch-Guice-Leialoha-UNCANNY-X-MEN-217-Original-Marvel-Comic-Art-DAZZLER-/372635855731?hash=item56c2d3eb73%3Ag%3A9awAAOSwsixcmB0B&nma=true&si=EskK9NhwCHFfU8pQd%2FoXPDQmlzg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

then listed a week or two later on the seller’s site for $1200

now on coollines for undetermined...

https://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtId=2539665

hm

8 hours ago, cloud cloddie said:

I guess this counts as flipping since it will be at least twice the price now...

’Sold’ on eBay March 31 for $1691

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Butch-Guice-Leialoha-UNCANNY-X-MEN-217-Original-Marvel-Comic-Art-DAZZLER-/372635855731?hash=item56c2d3eb73%3Ag%3A9awAAOSwsixcmB0B&nma=true&si=EskK9NhwCHFfU8pQd%2FoXPDQmlzg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

then listed a week or two later on the seller’s site for $1200

Hard to say what's going on here for sure, and probably not a good idea to leap to conclusions without direct comment from Dave Karlen first. He's generally a guy/dealer I would trust.

What I see is that the 'winning' bidder was a zero feedback type, with two 'last day of' bids but not last minute snipes.

Bidder

Bid Amount Bid Time
7***r(0) $1,691.00 31 Mar 2019 at 3:31:29PM PDT
7***r(0) $1,691.00 31 Mar 2019 at 3:30:37PM PDT
s***l(1006) $1,666.00 31 Mar 2019 at 5:25:28PM PDT

Time Ended: 31 Mar 2019 at 5:25:34PM PDT

and earlier we see this:

5***5(24) $535.00 31 Mar 2019 at 3:16:39PM PDT
5***y(668) $505.00 30 Mar 2019 at 1:42:16AM PDT

I think there's an excellent chance that bidder didn't pay Dave for their 'win'. This could be because the person is a flake or...a shill using their first bid to uncover the current high bid ($540) and then a second bid put on less than a minute later to effectively put a shill reserve on the piece significantly higher ($1,691+), so it doesn't undersell. Maybe there is another explanation? Dave could and should defend his reputation by adding his own color for all to see, I think.

Anyway, a NPB would explain how a $1700 public sale becomes a $1200 private offering, which is not what you'd ever see 'normally'. That it's now with the Donnelly's...unfortunate (nice vintage eighties X-Men art is wonderful, but for anybody with a shred of self-respect, this piece is dead and buried now!) but not particularly telling of anything one way or the other, aside from Dave's desire to move it on asap, to anybody actually willing to fulfill their end with real cash money, for the same reason he listed it starting at $250 and no reserve on eBay!

Really too bad...nice art.

image.thumb.png.55d43d30fc864dd01e1c36c6de37e683.png

Edited by vodou
add image

3 hours ago, vodou said:

Hard to say what's going on here for sure, and probably not a good idea to leap to conclusions without direct comment from Dave Karlen first. He's generally a guy/dealer I would trust.

That was in no way meant to call out Dave. I’ve dealt with him before and have no reason to think he’s just shady in any way. Just calling out the flip. 

2 hours ago, cloud cloddie said:

That was in no way meant to call out Dave. I’ve dealt with him before and have no reason to think he’s just shady in any way. Just calling out the flip. 

Of course, I didn't want to leave it hanging out there for those that don't know Dave.