• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,075 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

Still a big flip, but it looks like it was sold for $2,500, not $650.

Best offer was accepted, I think i was able to see it by looking at the seller's sold items.  eBay is the worst at showing sales data these days.

Edited by Infamouspure22

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

So basically someone bought an item with horrible condition issues/eye appeal for well under market price, paid to have those issues fixed, and preceded to ask full market price.

And this warranted some sort of call out thread/public ridicule? 

How am I ridiculing the seller? Yes, they were extremely lucky to see the listing first (since it looks like it ended within 10 minutes of it being listed), but buying a piece, having it cleaned and relisting a month and a half later is a flip. Which is what this thread is about. Good for him if he gets the $8000 he’s looking for. I didn’t post on anybody’s sale thread calling them out. 

So much of the market are pieces going from sales site to sales site. I for one like seeing the pieces listed here. I think it helps people get a clearer idea of actual market value. 

On 4/21/2019 at 12:20 PM, Spidey 62 said:

But doesn't a shill bid/win still have to pay fees?  That would add up, yes? 

If the shill bidder cancels the purchase, all fees are repaid and there's no reputational hit on the seller.  They don't even have to pay insertion fees if they have less than fifty listings a month.

I don't know if even Ebay would notice a pattern and shut this kind of thing down, but as long as the seller is generating sales and no-one is complaining, I assume they will turn a blind eye.

5 hours ago, Taylor G said:

If the shill bidder cancels the purchase, all fees are repaid and there's no reputational hit on the seller.  They don't even have to pay insertion fees if they have less than fifty listings a month.

I don't know if even Ebay would notice a pattern and shut this kind of thing down, but as long as the seller is generating sales and no-one is complaining, I assume they will turn a blind eye.

I was just recently notified through an eBay policy update that fees would not be refunded when there is a return. Not that I’m happy about it but I read it as a deterrent against “fraud” against eBay

Edit: just looked it up. If a “buyer” (because it could be you) makes a return, and you refund their money, you will not get back what you paid in PayPal fees.

Edited by Jay Olie Espy

3 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I was just recently notified through an eBay policy update that fees would not be refunded when there is a return. Not that I’m happy about it but I read it as a deterrent against “fraud” against eBay

I have done a few refunds lately due to double shipping charges on multiple wins and they still refunded the fees for me. I got that message too a while ago but so far fees are still being refunded for me.

8 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Edit: just looked it up. If a “buyer” (because it could be you) makes a return, and you refund their money, you will not get back what you paid in PayPal fees.

I haven't verified yet for myself but I'd heard (some chat board, somewhere) that PayPal was doing the same thing, either already implemented or "coming soon". If so, assuming you are an honest seller those fickle customers that return on whim alone are going to be very expensive for sellers!

Edit: Oh! So not eBay, just PayPal?

Edited by vodou
reading comprehension fail..duh!

1 hour ago, vodou said:

I haven't verified yet for myself but I'd heard (some chat board, somewhere) that PayPal was doing the same thing, either already implemented or "coming soon". If so, assuming you are an honest seller those fickle customers that return on whim alone are going to be very expensive for sellers!

Edit: Oh! So not eBay, just PayPal?

Yes, just PayPal. Though per Bird’s experience it might not be in effect yet. 

Just bought 3 trading carding for a whopping $3.57 to finally complete a set. I was thrown off to find out that the seller did not accept PP but rather standard debit or credit cards. I was irked because PayPal is where I keep my play money. Just glad it wasn’t $357. For purchases of $99+ I’ll use PP Credit (even if I do have the money, Vudou ;) ) but I won’t be able to if the seller selects “managed payments.”

As to avoid thread drift, at least there is a chance for seller’s who buy their own stuff to finally feel a pinch. And Managed Payments may help a seller eschew PP fees, but it may drive away buyers/customers who rely on PP, esp PP Credit, ostensibly buy a flip on pure credit and pay off the balance with the profit. 

14 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Yes, just PayPal. Though per Bird’s experience it might not be in effect yet. 

Just bought 3 trading carding for a whopping $3.57 to finally complete a set. I was thrown off to find out that the seller did not accept PP but rather standard debit or credit cards. I was irked because PayPal is where I keep my play money. Just glad it wasn’t $357. For purchases of $99+ I’ll use PP Credit (even if I do have the money, Vudou ;) ) but I won’t be able to if the seller selects “managed payments.”

As to avoid thread drift, at least there is a chance for seller’s who buy their own stuff to finally feel a pinch. And Managed Payments may help a seller eschew PP fees, but it may drive away buyers/customers who rely on PP, esp PP Credit, ostensibly buy a flip on pure credit and pay off the balance with the profit. 

Yes, sometime last year eBay began clearing direct cc payments, I wasn't aware they could be required excluding PP though! Interesting.

HA! Glad you have the money...I do the same thing, use a cashback card for anything/everything I can even though I pay off in full every month...it's all about how you manage the tools you have ;)

eBay has been soliciting the heck out of me to get their branded cc (which is actually Synchrony, who's behind PayPal Credit too). I haven't bitten, don't take on credit I don't have any use for, but you might check into it for buying from eBay folks that won't accept PP.

If what we're talking about is 'only PP' but not eBay, I don't think it will change a thing, as far as what eBay is trying to control for.

Not sure if this qualifies, but, $1,295 from Archangels. In May, 2015, it sold for $358.50. Didn't care for it then, and still don't.

Or, is this just an attempt to make a healthy profit?

Now, as I wrote elsewhere, prices for middle of the road Aparo are down. If someone is following this stuff, maybe a little over half his asking price.

Image: Phantom Stranger #15 page 15 art by Jim Aparo

12 hours ago, vodou said:

Does anybody actually buy from RH? All prices are stupid silly. Aparo price is not notable, for that reason.

I like the Ric Estrada/Wally Wood All-Star Comics #58 page.

If I were still collecting, and anyone else had it for sale, I would have bought it. 

2 hours ago, artdealer said:

Purchased from me early last week for $1400.

Now for sale at double my price....

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryPiece.asp?Piece=1567855&GSub=13897&GCat=236&UCat=236&Status=Complete

So what you’re saying is it’s acceptable for dealers to do this regularly but when a collector does it, it’s blasphemy!