• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,084 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

you missed the neal adams avengers 96 page that tanked on comic link!  :)

Even with the mark-up, I think the fact that @romitaman accepts time-payments might make it worthwhile to some buyers.

I got a piece from him because it wasn't offered to me.  And as far as I know, it was never actually "on the market".  So I didn't buy from Mike just because I wanted to pay more.  The fact that I was able to make time-payments was nice. 

Edited by Will_K

ha ha...vodou..... Man i love your anecdotes....:)

He "thinks" he knows my business model.... love it.

At any rate...... keep looking over the site gents...lots lots LOTS of great higher end art still being put up for sale on the romitaman site.. and over a hundred more great art pieces by the time we head for the huge  NYC con next week.

for what its worth.... it doesn't bother me if my asm 55 cover sells tomorrow or 20 years from now.

it's about "EXPOSURE" gentlemen...... some people get it...Some people DON'T..........i'm always enlightened by vodou here and his amazing analytics he shares numerous times per day with everyone...LOL......

it's all good...

We will be set up at our normal huge booth 2405 next week at the NYC show...right by the front doors.....So please feel free to stop by one and all to chat about our great hobby and to see some cool art as well!

and yes folks...We do have the BEST, fair, time payment plans for art buying in the hobby...

So let me know if you see anything you like and i'm confident We can work it all out! :)

Edited by romitaman

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I am not going to fault anyone that buys something and then list it at a higher price.  I they buy something they think the market under valued and re-list it for what they think it is worth.  Is it worth that much?  Only time will tell.  

Price discovery is nothing new in this hobby. If you feel something is worth “x” pricing it at 2x is common practice. What worries me is when people with more money than brains buy these items and have to resell for some reason. I’m referring to 5 figure and higher pieces where the loss potential can be significant. Will these collectors stay in a hobby where they realized how much they overpaid? Likely not.

1 hour ago, AnkurJ said:

I’m referring to 5 figure and higher pieces where the loss potential can be significant. Will these collectors stay in a hobby where they realized how much they overpaid? Likely not.

True. That's the one to watch. For the most part we have not seen re-sells publicly that lose half their value in 2-3 years. Of course people overpay in cash and then trade out of those positions privately at a great disadvantage all the time. Loss aversion is human nature, and one that tends to just compound the loss(es) if repeated too many times. Trading your "full" value for somebody else's overvalued by 3x can provide just enough illusion to keep it all hanging together ;)

2 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

What worries me is when people with more money than brains buy these items and have to resell for some reason. I’m referring to 5 figure and higher pieces where the loss potential can be significant. Will these collectors stay in a hobby where they realized how much they overpaid? Likely not.

Up to now, the trend seems to have been if you hold onto it long enough, then even people without brains will do okay in the end. 

Are there areas (not just 1 or 2 nutty purchases) where OA selling for five figures has sustained price drops after the passage of, say, 5 years?

3 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Price discovery is nothing new in this hobby. If you feel something is worth “x” pricing it at 2x is common practice. What worries me is when people with more money than brains buy these items and have to resell for some reason. I’m referring to 5 figure and higher pieces where the loss potential can be significant. Will these collectors stay in a hobby where they realized how much they overpaid? Likely not.

For original art, it is really hard to say who didn't overpay for pieces but definitely can leave a very bad taste in someone's mouth when they way overpay above a reasonable market price.  Happens in comics all the time.  Showcase4 on the boards is a pretty good example.

3 hours ago, batman_fan said:

For original art, it is really hard to say who didn't overpay for pieces but definitely can leave a very bad taste in someone's mouth when they way overpay above a reasonable market price.  Happens in comics all the time.  Showcase4 on the boards is a pretty good example.

This years "overpay" is next year's great find as long as the market for the original comic art keeps climbing.  I am surprised how sturdy the comic book market is, and there seems to be new buyers all the time.  Some seem to be crossing over to the original art.  Hopeful, David

1 hour ago, aokartman said:

This years "overpay" is next year's great find as long as the market for the original comic art keeps climbing.  I am surprised how sturdy the comic book market is, and there seems to be new buyers all the time.  Some seem to be crossing over to the original art.  Hopeful, David

Just look at the Ditko Spiderman page.  Last time I saw it sell was at HA 2010 for just shy or $24k. Now people are saying $100k+. Back when it sold before it was a pretty hefty price but every year Ditko Spiderman pages seem to just keep going up.

On 9/28/2019 at 11:01 AM, romitaman said:

ha ha...vodou..... Man i love your anecdotes....:)

He "thinks" he knows my business model.... love it.

At any rate...... keep looking over the site gents...lots lots LOTS of great higher end art still being put up for sale on the romitaman site.. and over a hundred more great art pieces by the time we head for the huge  NYC con next week.

for what its worth.... it doesn't bother me if my asm 55 cover sells tomorrow or 20 years from now.

it's about "EXPOSURE" gentlemen...... some people get it...Some people DON'T..........i'm always enlightened by vodou here and his amazing analytics he shares numerous times per day with everyone...LOL......

it's all good...

We will be set up at our normal huge booth 2405 next week at the NYC show...right by the front doors.....So please feel free to stop by one and all to chat about our great hobby and to see some cool art as well!

and yes folks...We do have the BEST, fair, time payment plans for art buying in the hobby...

So let me know if you see anything you like and i'm confident We can work it all out! :)

Sell sell sell !!!!!!