• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,075 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Just look at the Ditko Spiderman page.  Last time I saw it sell was at HA 2010 for just shy or $24k. Now people are saying $100k+. Back when it sold before it was a pretty hefty price but every year Ditko Spiderman pages seem to just keep going up.

Appreciation yeesh !!!!!

3 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Just look at the Ditko Spiderman page.  Last time I saw it sell was at HA 2010 for just shy or $24k. Now people are saying $100k+. Back when it sold before it was a pretty hefty price but every year Ditko Spiderman pages seem to just keep going up.

At a 20% increase per year it would be worth $123,000 now if it sold for $24,000 back in 2010. That's pretty realistic I think.

On 9/27/2019 at 8:18 PM, AnkurJ said:

Lost $10K in value over the weekend. If this depreciation keeps up, by mid-October it might be below the HA sales price.  :)

http://www.romitaman.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=23148&ArtistId=947

Edited by lobrac

1 hour ago, Timely said:

Prime art seems to go up at about that rate! Nothing seems to be better than Prime Spider-Man Ditko art!

So based on this logic, would you hesitate paying future value prices for Ditko art? Let say a page with 100% market value is $25,000 today. Would you pay $30,000 without concern of time catching up to that value? I’m not sure how many of us could stomach such a risk.

16 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

So based on this logic, would you hesitate paying future value prices for Ditko art? Let say a page with 100% market value is $25,000 today. Would you pay $30,000 without concern of time catching up to that value? I’m not sure how many of us could stomach such a risk.

I'll tell you this, the entire 22 page  issue to #10 sold for $161,000 in 2001.  If I had the money back then (which I did!) would I have paid $180,000 to get it? Seems like a dumb question to ask now. Who wouldn't?

1 hour ago, Timely said:

I'll tell you this, the entire 22 page  issue to #10 sold for $161,000 in 2001.  If I had the money back then (which I did!) would I have paid $180,000 to get it? Seems like a dumb question to ask now. Who wouldn't?

Hindsight is always crystal clear. Would you make the same gamble today if the art was worth $500,000 and priced at $600,000?

23 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Hindsight is always crystal clear. Would you make the same gamble today if the art was worth $500,000 and priced at $600,000?

That kind dollar amount is harder to think about, but for me, I have buying Peanuts strips, sure they are "only" 5 figures but still a lot for me to lay down.  Prices right now are definitely higher than they have been even a few years back.  I have no issue spending the money on them.  I think they will appreciate over time.

3 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

I get what your saying. Ditko Amazing Spider-Man however is one of the few high end blue chips where buying at $100 K could still look like a bargain ten years from now. 

Theres risk in everything.

13 hours ago, Timely said:

Seems like a dumb question to ask now. Who wouldn't?

Everybody but one guy, because he wasn't even tested to that level (180k). The hobby, in comparison to today, was quite the provincial joke, $10k was still a lot of money. If you look back at other lots in that sale and HA in general early oughts...many things going for less than a hundred or several hundred that are really hard to even find today. Journey2 won that round huge...the break-up profit was pretty sweet. My strategy at the time was nostalgia first, of course, followed by throwing all my remaining income (after stripped to below basics living expenses) at every piece of fairly priced superhero art I could.

I knew a complete Ditko ASM was pretty special, even with the blackmark of 'source' on it and the hobby controversy of the day around that (but did any true six figure bidders really not bid on principle? I wonder...?), but that number was simply 100k beyond what I could raise in short order. So back I was to the grindstone of vacuuming up the three to four figure pieces, as many and as often as I could, that's all you could do :)

3 minutes ago, vodou said:

Everybody but one guy, because he wasn't even tested to that level (180k). The hobby, in comparison to today, was quite the provincial joke, $10k was still a lot of money. If you look back at other lots in that sale and HA in general early oughts...many things going for less than a hundred or several hundred that are really hard to even find today. Journey2 won that round huge...the break-up profit was pretty sweet. My strategy at the time was nostalgia first, of course, followed by throwing all my remaining income (after stripped to below basics living expenses) at every piece of fairly priced superhero art I could.

I knew a complete Ditko ASM was pretty special, even with the blackmark of 'source' on it and the hobby controversy of the day around that (but did any true six figure bidders really not bid on principle? I wonder...?), but that number was simply 100k beyond what I could raise in short order. So back I was to the grindstone of vacuuming up the three to four figure pieces, as many and as often as I could, that's all you could do :)

Back then they sold for an average of about $7300 per page.  I'm not sure of the going rate back then for Ditko as I was not into OA back then, but clearly it has come a LONG way!

45 minutes ago, Timely said:

Back then they sold for an average of about $7300 per page.  I'm not sure of the going rate back then for Ditko as I was not into OA back then, but clearly it has come a LONG way!

There wasn't really an above-ground "going rate" back then. My recollection is Ditko ASM did move around but it happened at conventions or private connections, or were marked Trade Only on on the rare occasion when one popped up on a dealer site. The market wasn't nearly as visible or liquid back then, hard to describe if you've only seen what it's been like the last ten years. Others more close to actual cash transactions occurring at the time could tell you if $7300/per was a premium, discount or about right to get the whole book. I have no idea.

Everything superhero has come a long way, not just Ditko ASM. My rule of thumb used to be just add a zero to the back end of everything bought then, but that's closer to 15x now across the board and 20x is becoming more common too. It's just money though, I'm personally no more inclined to sell now than I was a decade ago based only on the steepness of the appreciation curve (other factors do matter though). Once it's gone, it's not coming back...a very sobering realization.

1 minute ago, vodou said:

There wasn't really an above-ground "going rate" back then. My recollection is Ditko ASM did move around but it happened at conventions or private connections, or were marked Trade Only on on the rare occasion when one popped up on a dealer site. The market wasn't nearly as visible or liquid back then, hard to describe if you've only seen what it's been like the last ten years. Others more close to actual cash transactions occurring at the time could tell you if $7300/per was a premium, discount or about right to get the whole book. I have no idea.

Everything superhero has come a long way, not just Ditko ASM. My rule of thumb used to be just add a zero to the back end of everything bought then, but that's closer to 15x now across the board and 20x is becoming more common too. It's just money though, I'm personally no more inclined to sell now than I was a decade ago based only on the steepness of the appreciation curve (other factors do matter though). Once it's gone, it's not coming back...a very sobering realization.

Yes, the continual performance of, and interest in, the comic art market has caused me to just hang onto my few best pieces, even though I could net a substantial return.  I love the art, and I don't need the money!    I will never be able to afford to get them back at the rate prices are rising.  Perhaps my kids, but not me, the way it's looking.  Unplanned money needs or end-of-life decisions could change my hold position at some point, obviously.  Or dramatic world events that send everything tumbling.

1 hour ago, Timely said:

Some years back I started noticing the few Ditko pages listed on CAF disappearing. I know there was a page with Spidey where he falls in the ocean? the guy had NFS but said he’d take 20 K maybe 8 years ago? Within a week it was gone and two months later sold at HA for $43,000.

i always wondered if someone bought from CAF member and listed or if the CAF member sold it through HA and thanked his lucky stars. I’d love to know. 

If I took 20 K I’d feel happy until 2 months later seeing I left too much money on the table.