• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,075 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Certain pieces  took blood and tears to obtain.

58 minutes ago, grapeape said:

It has intrinsic personal value that money alone can’t equate for.

I can't be the only collector that remembers the exact circumstances of how every single piece was acquired. Sure, some were easy -just pay the price, but so many others took a lot of searching, networking, not buying four other things and thus luckily having the funds a week later for that other thing that pops up, etc. To those of us that did the gymnastics and remember the energy and complexity so many situations required, a swap for "a small pile of cash" just doesn't do it.

The "how" stories are sometimes worth more to me than the art is worth to the market too. Those are the really easy pieces to hang onto.

3 minutes ago, vodou said:

I can't be the only collector that remembers the exact circumstances of how every single piece was acquired. Sure, some were easy -just pay the price, but so many others took a lot of searching, networking, not buying four other things and thus luckily having the funds a week later for that other thing that pops up, etc. To those of us that did the gymnastics and remember the energy and complexity so many situations required, a swap for "a small pile of cash" just doesn't do it.

The "how" stories are sometimes worth more to me than the art is worth to the market too. Those are the really easy pieces to hang onto.

Bingo. That’s the part that money can’t buy. It buys the art yes. But the work to gather funds and pull off a deal, or to find what you’ve been looking for (needle in a haystack) is what stays with you. The war stories you share with yourself and other collectors.

I’ve had people logically explain why I should take an amount they are offering me for a piece. 

You can always buy something else they say. I’m giving you way more then you paid for it. The potential buyer rarely cares what you had to do to obtain it.

i once placed a winning bid on an auction from the dentist chair while getting a root canal.

i once paid $4500 for a piece of art in 1997 which was all the money I had in a savings account as a young family man with two young children. Still have it and those who laughed are applauding my foresight today.

i once outworked the cocky Los Bros  and the charming Glennru and bought a Kirby Captain America cover from Jacks friend that had never come up for sale publicly.

its those stories, those experiences that are worth more then money.

48 minutes ago, grapeape said:

i once outworked the cocky Los Bros  and the charming Glennru and bought a Kirby Captain America cover from Jacks friend that had never come up for sale publicly.

Huh huh! This is one I'd like to know more about...first two rounds on me, someday?

3 hours ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

It went down to $2100. Keep up the good work. :)

17 hours ago, vodou said:

You’re absolutely right! Some pieces have better stories than others but most do hold nostalgia.

1 minute ago, AnkurJ said:

most do hold nostalgia.

Double nostalgia, once you've been collecting for a decade or two. Flip through that stack or folio, however you store them, and relive not just the art as totem for the comic as a kid but also the later experience of latching onto the art.

Alas, this is the flipper thread...so most of the names popping up here are all business, if they had heart once you'd be forgiven for wondering where it went... ;)

1 hour ago, romitaman said:

i actually agree with Mike H (vodou) here..... :)

The stories on how certain collection art was acquired is actually as fun to talk about as much as owning  the art itself.

I have so many amazing stories...many i've shared here..and they are fun to rehash from time to time.... with people who appreciate our hobby of course.

I got laughed at by other collectors and dealers for about 10 years for being mainly the #1 guy collecting and paying retail at the time for Romita amazing Spider-man art from october 1989 (when I first got into the hobby) to about 1997....

I was trading Kirby and every other high end artists work for Romita ASM for that entire early decade of the 1990's at value for value, and I was laughed at a lot for doing that.

then Glen Brunswick came in the hobby...and the Romita art market changed......... LOL.

As for this flipping thread...... I flip art every day practically.

that's what you do when you sell art .

If you don't know what you are doing, you go out of business real quick and/or you stop selling or leave the hobby having lost money you invested.

Not sure why people think flipping art is bad...... if you have it too high it wont move......and you are losing $$$ on your investment......... some people are ok with that...i'm not....

i choose to move art and work deals out in trade or cash / trade that work if i've had art too long.

This works for me...others choose to keep art for many years and even decades without it selling....... everyone has their own business model on what art is worth to them.

I always tell people..if you want something on my website i've had for a long time...i will "ALWAYS" give a discount (within reason) to work a deal out.

Is that not common sense thinking?

My ASM art collection is the only art i have that I choose to hold onto for the long haul..BUT.....if someone asks and i get an offer that makes me feel it's worth selling....I SELL!

Still amazes me how there were hardcore hardheads that didn’t recognize Romita as a great artist. That was maybe one factor that worked in your favor Mike. 

7 hours ago, romitaman said:

i I got laughed at by other collectors and dealers for about 10 years for being mainly the #1 guy collecting and paying retail at the time for Romita amazing Spider-man art from october 1989 (when I first got into the hobby) to about 1997....

I was trading Kirby and every other high end artists work for Romita ASM for that entire early decade of the 1990's at value for value, and I was laughed at a lot for doing that.

That's how I feel about Humberto Ramos art.  I get that for collectors who grew up reading art in the 70-90s (as I did), the modern/current story lines or characters might not have any significance.  I understand that Ramos' style of art is very different from the old school greats.

I've had hundreds of pieces of great art pass through my hands from almost every main artist you could think of, but I've never sought after or held on to any other art as strongly as I do for Ramos art.

To each their own I know...

but I think at some point, older collectors who laugh at me now will figure out that for the last decade or so Ramos has been a major Spider-Man artist.  And guys who grew up reading him (like we read kirby, perez, byrne, etc) who may someday become the next generation of OA collectors, will find out that the vast majority of Ramos Spider-Man pieces are owned by a VERY small handful of collectors.

11 minutes ago, Infamouspure22 said:

That's how I feel about Humberto Ramos art.  I get that for collectors who grew up reading art in the 70-90s (as I did), the modern/current story lines or characters might not have any significance.  I understand that Ramos' style of art is very different from the old school greats.

I've had hundreds of pieces of great art pass through my hands from almost every main artist you could think of, but I've never sought after or held on to any other art as strongly as I do for Ramos art.

To each their own I know...

but I think at some point, older collectors who laugh at me now will figure out that for the last decade or so Ramos has been a major Spider-Man artist.  And guys who grew up reading him (like we read kirby, perez, byrne, etc) who may someday become the next generation of OA collectors, will find out that the vast majority of Ramos Spider-Man pieces are owned by a VERY small handful of collectors.

It happens all the time. Ramos has respect and buzz and no doubt the future will bring deeper understanding of his contributions.

21 hours ago, romitaman said:

i actually agree with Mike H (vodou) here..... :)

The stories on how certain collection art was acquired is actually as fun to talk about as much as owning  the art itself.

I have so many amazing stories...many i've shared here..and they are fun to rehash from time to time.... with people who appreciate our hobby of course.

I got laughed at by other collectors and dealers for about 10 years for being mainly the #1 guy collecting and paying retail at the time for Romita amazing Spider-man art from october 1989 (when I first got into the hobby) to about 1997....

then Glen Brunswick came in the hobby...and the Romita art market changed......... LOL.

As for this flipping thread...... I flip art every day practically.

that's what you do when you sell art .

If you don't know what you are doing, you go out of business real quick and/or you stop selling or leave the hobby having lost money you invested.

Not sure why people think flipping art is bad...... if you have it too high it wont move......and you are losing $$$ on your investment......... some people are ok with that...i'm not....

i choose to move art and work deals out in trade or cash / trade that work if i've had art too long.

This works for me...others choose to keep art for many years and even decades without it selling....... everyone has their own business model on what art is worth to them.

I always tell people..if you want something on my website i've had for a long time...i will "ALWAYS" give a discount (within reason) to work a deal out.

Is that not common sense thinking?

My ASM art collection is the only art i have that I choose to hold onto for the long haul..BUT.....if someone asks and i get an offer that makes me feel it's worth selling....I SELL!

I don’t think selling to buy or visa-versa is wrong, but when someone buys something on day 1 for, say, $100, and then tries to sell it on day 2 for $300, at what is then over-market, I definitely like to read about that. It serves as a warning, and is somewhat funny, too, particularly if it doesn’t sell. Schadenfraude. Or, it is a reminder of a good deal we all missed.