• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,075 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, romitaman said:

In the 90's...... i was told by nearly every art collector who was collecting a lot longer than me that John Romita Sr. simply  drew..."THE MARVEL WAY"

He has zero style and his art would never be special to anyone.

I have to confess...i collected John Romita art right from the beginning because Romita Sr and Ross Andru ASM was the cheapest Spiderman art you could buy!

Ditko ASM pages were $1000 and up already in 1989-1990......

McFarlane interiors were 300 and up in 1990-92

and even RON FRENZ interior ASM pages were selling for more than John Romita LARGE ART ASM pages in the early 1990s!!!

I still have a 1992 or 1993 purchase receipt From Mitch I were i bought his last 20 large art ASM Romita pages he had in inventory...

all were between 40-75 dollars, with a 2/3 splash from ASM 47 being 125 dollars. and on the VERY SAME invoice i also bought 4 Ron Frenz ASM pages for 150 each!

I also bought on that invoice both ASM annual 21 Romita wedding covers for 200 bucks each....

But my point is...THAT WAS THE MARKET BACK THEN!!!!!

Don't ever think i was so smart...I got rid of all my ASM Romita covers around 1997-1998 when they were going for 5k..as i felt they couldn't ever possibly sell for higher.

I felt that people will pay 1000 for an ASM Romita page in the future but no way will collectors pay over 5k for an ASM Romita cover, as the buying pool of collectors at that number woukld be quite low...

I certainly blew that one..........LOL

But i did always use my ASM cover money sales to buy more ASM interiors and splashes...so it all worked out in the long run,

and i'm certainly thankful and quite happy that I was at the right place and collected at the right time to get what i could before the auctions and Ebay exploded the art collecting world as we know it..

Mike

Hey I can forgive people for not thinking Johns art would be valuable. It’s tougher to understand those that minimize his artistic ability. Coming after the legend Steve Ditko ASM 39 starts a refreshing new artistic interpretation of Spider-Man and Peter Parker. There’s a pure joy in the way he delivers these pages we love today.

My love for Romita caused me to do something out of character. I remember emailing you early to mid 2000s asking if you’d take $12000 for an interior page from your personal collection.

You replied that $12 K would likely snag any page. I tried for my favorite four panel page of Spidey and Kingpin....from ASM 69 and even tried for the last page with the 1/3 splash (had to try) but you called me on it ( that’s a splash) ha ha.

you weren’t ready to break up 69 at the time and you offered me other great pages from different incomplete books you had. We didn’t make the deal because my heart really was set on the four panel 69 page.

Why did I offer $12 K ? It wasn’t an investment: it wasn’t based on any economic reality I knew of. The only interior page I could find that had data was on Heritage that sold for 5 k.

My offer was based on love. Love of Johns singular amazing style and the fact ASM 69 was the first Romita comic I read as a kid. There’s a lot of capital built into a Romita page especially for those who have met and spent any time with him. He is a kind and generous person. It’s hard to separate the man from the art. John is a hero for comic fans to admire.

My first piece of art is a head sketch of Spider-Man that John created for me at SDCC 1996. I still have it and will always keep it.

🍇 🦍

On 10/18/2019 at 12:38 PM, cloud cloddie said:

hardly a quick profit flip since i took it at 5k trade in an art deal in san diego con this year......but thanks for the information as i never knew it was in auction.

Edited by romitaman

On 10/18/2019 at 9:38 AM, cloud cloddie said:

It's an impressive splash. I don't know about asking 5 K but $1980 seems like an undersell. the buyer got a bargain.

You know Mike is going to get that 5 K one way or another as this is an excellent trade piece.

On 10/26/2019 at 9:11 AM, lobrac said:

That one was mine and I sold it for what I thought it was worth. I'll be honest, it's up to the buyer what they do with it after I'm paid and it arrives in their possession. But, I was surprised to see it pop up on CAF for sale IMMEDIATELY after I sold it.

16 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

That one was mine and I sold it for what I thought it was worth. I'll be honest, it's up to the buyer what they do with it after I'm paid and it arrives in their possession. But, I was surprised to see it pop up on CAF for sale IMMEDIATELY after I sold it.

Previous CAF link no longer active, but you can see it for sale here:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1592184

Sold this past Tuesday on Comiclink for $577 and now Erik Essington is pondering it. I'm pondering what exactly is going on in that bottom panel. Actually, I'm trying to not ponder it.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FALLSUB.ASP%3FFocused%3D1%26id%3D1398%26Artist%3DBILL%20SIENKIEWICZ%23Item_1364176&id=1364176&itemType=1

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1594950&GSub=171439

Edited by lobrac

28 minutes ago, lobrac said:

Sold this past Tuesday on Comiclink for $577 and now Erik Essington is pondering it. I'm pondering what exactly is going on in that bottom panel. Actually, I'm trying to not ponder it.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FALLSUB.ASP%3FFocused%3D1%26id%3D1398%26Artist%3DBILL%20SIENKIEWICZ%23Item_1364176&id=1364176&itemType=1

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1594950&GSub=171439

WOW hasn't even held it yet...lol (or at least i haven't gotten my winnings yet..)