• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,088 posts in this topic

On 12/13/2019 at 9:40 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

WOW hasn't even held it yet...lol (or at least i haven't gotten my winnings yet..)

But the piece isn’t really does not demonstrate Sienkiewicz eventually evolved skill set or style. The Adams influence screams out. To me it’s like buying a Picasso when he was first drawing still life’s. 

On 12/6/2019 at 12:56 AM, INKREDIBLE BULK said:

Sorry for the belated reply.  This was used for a house ad for the Human Fly.  Dave didn't remember exactly, but thought that someone in the bullpen might have added the stats as a joke before it was returned to him.  I owned this for about 15 years before selling on Heritage in 2017.

Human Fly House Ad.jpg

On 12/15/2019 at 4:28 PM, tlatner said:

Sorry for the belated reply.  This was used for a house ad for the Human Fly.  Dave didn't remember exactly, but thought that someone in the bullpen might have added the stats as a joke before it was returned to him.  I owned this for about 15 years before selling on Heritage in 2017.

Human Fly House Ad.jpg

How cool of you to share your story and where this was used. Wonder if they will find a buyer? There has got to be a Human Fly fan out there you would want this. Perhaps if the price is lowered, he may sell it.

Sold on eBay December 21, 2019 for $51.00:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superboy-47-backup-story-page-7-Original-art-Bender-Hunt-/274143358125?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=93oHvwdrF%2FONBiVFkKJw1eH9SDQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Now available on eBay for a minimum bid of $149.99:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bender-NEW-ADVENTURES-OF-SUPERBOY-47-pg-7-EARLY-DIAL-H-FOR-HERO-sweet-ACTION/372894590985?hash=item56d23fe809:g:XzcAAOSwvMBeCBoP

Sold on eBay December 21, 2019 for $36.00:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superboy-47-backup-story-page-6-Original-art-Bender-Hunt-/274143352965?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=93oHvwdrF%2FONBiVFkKJw1eH9SDQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Now available on eBay for a minimum bid of $169.99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bender-NEW-ADVENTURES-OF-SUPERBOY-47-pg-6-EARLY-DIAL-H-FOR-HERO-sweet-ACTION/223821254274?hash=item341cc94e82:g:vi8AAOSw08deCB1-

The new seller neglected to include condition wording for both pages from the original auctions:  "Slight yellowing around edges. Brown stain lower left corner. From Dave Hunt's estate, was a smoker and had cats, has an odor of both."

Perhaps the new seller sent the pages to Robert Dennis or Gordon Christman for some restoration work before listing them.

Edited by Lee B.

2 hours ago, Lee B. said:

Perhaps the new seller sent the pages to Robert Dennis or Gordon Christman for some restoration work before listing them.

I've found it easier and cheaper to run them a few times through the laundry - BUT ONLY with the whites and mild bleach.

13 minutes ago, Bill C said:

Bleach would likely destroy the art, not sure why you'd even bring that up.

I would, however, use a little fabric softener in there so the pages don't have static cling when you throw them in the dryer.

and it gives the pages a charming blue hue, like a robin's egg....

1 hour ago, cesium_7 said:

The earlier seller had a messed up description, which likely led to the bad initial result.

It happens.

1 hour ago, aokartman said:

The earlier seller had a messed up description, which likely led to the bad initial result.

It happens.

It's still misleading, as the Comic art in question has nothing to do with Blue Devil's first appearance, except for a text reference to the "insert." That said, $26 for that page is comically (ahem) LOW. All the same, it's not a $399 page either. Probably in about the $150-$175 range. Maybe $200 on a really good day.

Sienkiewicz New Mutants page. Sold on Heritage Nov 23 2019 for $1680

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/bill-sienkiewicz-new-mutants-24-story-page-10-original-art-marvel-comics-1985-/a/7212-95360.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Now on CAF for make an offer. 

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1603713

Feel free to check out the heritage link so you can read any condition issues the new seller left out. Los Bros teaching seminars now or something?

On 1/16/2020 at 12:53 PM, cloud cloddie said:

aaaaaaaaand...SOLD!!!! (incidentally..i never bought this on ebay......so i doubt there is any flip of any piece on any day as this art  was bought privately after this auction which i never knew about....as i never buy art on ebay anymore)  but hey...... flip of the day guys out there...knock yourselves out...i enjoy seeing these posts actually...... 

Edited by romitaman

1 hour ago, romitaman said:

aaaaaaaaand...SOLD!!!! (incidentally..i never bought this on ebay......so i doubt there is any flip of any piece on any day as this art  was bought privately after this auction which i never knew about....as i never buy art on ebay anymore)  but hey...... flip of the day guys out there...knock yourselves out...i enjoy seeing these posts actually...... 

So it was flipped twice in a month instead of once? Because it sold on eBay, then I guess you’re saying it was then sold to you, then you sold it. I guess that’s what I’m deciphering from that sentence. 

7DF65590-5CAE-4BAA-98B6-FCE644FBFE63.jpeg

2 hours ago, cloud cloddie said:

So it was flipped twice in a month instead of once? Because it sold on eBay, then I guess you’re saying it was then sold to you, then you sold it. I guess that’s what I’m deciphering from that sentence. 

Formulas I think about:

n = x(DrFat)e + y

Sold = will appear again once the heat is off y(months) x $(3x)

Edited by Marwai
More refined formula

6 hours ago, cloud cloddie said:

...you’re saying it was then sold to you, then you sold it

The word sold means different things to different people. To dealers it means any event whereby they no longer hold the art but can still leave a "price" up to show how hawt the market is, dontcha know?!! not that cash ever moved.

10 hours ago, cloud cloddie said:

It could have been consigned (or traded which is same as sold, but consigned)