• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,088 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, romitaman said:

(I haven't been on here since my last post however long ago that was so I see i need to reply to a few posts)

To answer the question posed to me above 8 days ago by Cloddie..........

Yes.....i did this weird thing......I bought a piece of art from a collector for cash to sell on my website because i felt i could make profit on it.....I put it on my website for sale.........and........It sold!

Just an FYI for everyone.......Every piece i have on my website can be considered a flip of the day, week, month, and year.......... As i purchase and trade art every day pretty much,  in the hopes i can resell it or trade it for profit........If It doesn't sell...... i will try to trade it or sell it at lower value over time to move my inventory depending what it is......If I'm wrong too many times.........I go out of business.........If I'm right more than not.......I stay in business.  

I urge EVERYONE here  to click on my Romitaman website and look around to find some awesome flips of the day, weeks, and months, to post here again and again.... there are 3500 or so "flips to see....today!"

click on my website ALL THE TIME FOLKS!

Nearly every time I'm used in these "flip of the day" threads,  i learn something new about art before I owned it so this is good knowledge and I appreciate it.

and for my dear friend Mr Mike (VOODOO)......I just did another big art deal with Jim Damico this week...I really don't care if he bought his art on ebay for 2 dollars ...or thru CAF.......... or from the artist directly,  as I check those places maybe once every 4 months if that, because my time is valuable

When i do an art deal with Jim or anyone else, its because i feel it was a good deal for me, or i decline the offer, just like i do with hundreds of other collectors who contact me and offer me art in cash or trade deals all the time.

If the art i get sells then I'm happy.....if it doesn't sell over time, that's on me and I then have to figure a way to move it via trade or discount as i truly hate having inventory for sale for long periods of time that isn't primo material.

I don't know Jim's eBay handle nor do I care to look it up (it seems that should be your next quest to share with the group here my good friend Mr Mike (VOODOO)... Since you asked that question previously of this group)

So if anyone reading this goes to my Romitaman website and sees something they like..... but they feel the price is too high.....feel free to make me an offer...I may say i can't do it...but so long as the offer is reasonable and it's something I don't mind parting with,  we can certainly try to figure a deal out we both like.

I do a lot of trading also and so long as i like what I'm getting in trade from you equally or more than what I'm  giving up, i will ALWAYS do an even Steven trade with you to move my inventory.

some in our hobby don't do this and that is their choice for their business......I like to move my inventory AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE to keep getting new art to offer collectors!

I feel I'm a pretty reasonable to deal with in our hobby as I have been doing this for 32 years now and love meeting old and new customers alike. :)

Mike

I don’t mind the basic purchase and sale of art to make money. Nor do I think it wrong to mark something up to market price, or a little higher, if you get a great deal. What I do think is worthy of attention is when someone buys a piece and then tries to sell it at an extremely high price when it’s purchase price is easy to spot. That is always interesting to me, and also stands as a warning about that particular seller’s pricing policy. I don’t know market value as well as quite a few people here, so I somewhat trust a seller to offer a price at or slightly above market (I still do my due diligence, of course).

That is why I started a separate thread called Optimistic Pricing. It isn’t the seller’s purchase price that matters as much as the set of stones the seller has when posting it for resale, or maybe, the seller is correctly pricing it after all and I missed something.

7 hours ago, romitaman said:

(I haven't been on here since my last post however long ago that was so I see i need to reply to a few posts)

No no Mr. Mike...you don't need to, but rarely do you miss an opportunity to promote..yourself lol

So we understand how nice it is to be handed the opportunity, and like when the circus comes to town -the big ones with lots of clowns, your comments have everyone leaving with a huge smile on their face :)

I put it on my website for sale.........and........It sold!

For actual cash not trade? Please confirm, because there is a difference ;)

I urge EVERYONE here  to click on my Romitaman website and look around to find some awesome flips of the day, weeks, and months, to post here again and again.... there are 3500 or so "flips to see....today!"

click on my website ALL THE TIME FOLKS!

Now that's just pure daytime tv pitch and arguably should be over in Marketplace. You get dinged for this slop every time Mike, are you slow or just hoping you won't get reported this time?

Mr Mike (VOODOO)

Not my name (or handle spelling lol). I've always thought "Mike" just sounded stupid, like some hen-pecked neighborhood pushover hiding out by the grill moving the burgers around. Still do.

Since you asked that question previously of this group)

Did I? I don't recollect. Show me.

3 hours ago, vodou said:

No no Mr. Mike...you don't need to, but rarely do you miss an opportunity to promote..yourself lol

So we understand how nice it is to be handed the opportunity, and like when the circus comes to town -the big ones with lots of clowns, your comments have everyone leaving with a huge smile on their face :)

Now that's just pure daytime tv pitch and arguably should be over in Marketplace. You get dinged for this slop every time Mike, are you slow or just hoping you won't get reported this time?

Not my name (or handle spelling lol). I've always thought "Mike" just sounded stupid, like some hen-pecked neighborhood pushover hiding out by the grill moving the burgers around. Still do.

Voodoo,

You do that voodoo that you do so well

Lets start with a joke to lighten things up...

Two brothers walk in to a comic con

one brother says to another,

“ knock knock”

who’s there?

“Cash and trade.”

Cash and trade who?

“SOLD”

Huh?

Romaineman makes some good points but I can also see Voodoo’s point. I can see where Romaineman is simply encouraging those who call out flipping to inspect his art site for examples.

Dealers gonna deal Mr. Mike Voodoo.

Now the flip side :facepalm: is that Voodoo thinks Romaineman might be soliciting lettuce outside the marketplace.

I love both you guys. Every time you get into it I spray Mountain Dew on the keyboard. Expect a bill soon.

Lets stay friends,

yours,

Grapplemonkey

21 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I don’t mind the basic purchase and sale of art to make money. Nor do I think it wrong to mark something up to market price, or a little higher, if you get a great deal. What I do think is worthy of attention is when someone buys a piece and then tries to sell it at an extremely high price when it’s purchase price is easy to spot. That is always interesting to me, and also stands as a warning about that particular seller’s pricing policy. I don’t know market value as well as quite a few people here, so I somewhat trust a seller to offer a price at or slightly above market (I still do my due diligence, of course).

That is why I started a separate thread called Optimistic Pricing. It isn’t the seller’s purchase price that matters as much as the set of stones the seller has when posting it for resale, or maybe, the seller is correctly pricing it after all and I missed something.

our buddy THEO comes to mind here..... :)

15 hours ago, vodou said:

yes the art art is selling for actual cash (zero trade)

(he is making time payments.... As I always offer very fair time payments to customers)

I'm  sorry to sadden you but no market place is happening here......

i could have left my website url in my past post which would have made you a tad salty, but i chose not to as that would not be "cool" as i was thinking very much about your feelings Mr Mike!

but thanks for the extra post sales pitch ...much appreciated! :)

ROMITAMAN

Edited by romitaman

Hey Mike,

I gotta say I really appreciate the site and the effort you put into your marketing and business.  This hobby can get scary when you are dealing in the high figures and not everyone has a network to go hunt pieces - you are a de facto escrow service that is a huge relief when things are moving around,

I check your site EVERY day - and you’ve been very approachable to any kind of deal or offer. Things can get so stale, but you keep the hobby moving.

You got my vote and recommendation.  If people don’t want to pay, don’t pay,  I think your market valuing is very good.

42 minutes ago, RS88 said:

Hey Mike,

I gotta say I really appreciate the site and the effort you put into your marketing and business.  This hobby can get scary when you are dealing in the high figures and not everyone has a network to go hunt pieces - you are a de facto escrow service that is a huge relief when things are moving around,

I check your site EVERY day - and you’ve been very approachable to any kind of deal or offer. Things can get so stale, but you keep the hobby moving.

You got my vote and recommendation.  If people don’t want to pay, don’t pay,  I think your market valuing is very good.

If you ask him, he may even send you an autographed photo of himself, suitable for framing, of course..

Fugly Conan of the Day!

Jusko SSOC 137 cover painting, $3300 on Comiclink:

https://comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Djusko%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCA&id=1365662

Now $6500. Still fugly. (reduced later to $5500, and still fugly)

http://www.romitaman.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=23649&ArtistId=1307

Edited by lobrac

22 hours ago, RS88 said:

Hey Mike,

Thanks RS..that is very kind of you to say... (i'm honestly not sure who you are...... but thanks for the post!)

Honestly...... i love this hobby more than people realize.. Meeting John Romita and becoming close friends with him is the absolute top highlight of my entire life!

I'm blessed that I've been able to turn my art collecting into a business that I love doing.

meeting people online, on the phone, I cherish it all every day!......and the only 2 shows i do each year now I love also (san Diego and new york)

And even more than that....Virtually every close friend i have today...... I met through this great hobby. 

Mike

PS..I am going to The Naples comic-Con show  Italy in late April as a guest for their AMAZING SPIDERMAN (50th Anniversary of Spiderman comics coming to Italy)

I'm loaning them several high end ASM pieces of art from Steve Ditko, John Romita Sr, John Buscema, Gil Kane, Ross Andru, Kieth Pollard, John Byrne, Romita Jr, Ron Frenz, McFarlane and others for their show display and i'm excited to do it and meet many European art fans i have and haven't met before as this will be my very first time going to Europe!

If anyone wants to see any particular art who may attend the show please contact me privately and i'm happy to show art to fellow art fans there! :)

4 hours ago, lobrac said:

YIKES!!!!!  I've been found out yet again as a secondary FLIPPER!

.....I Got this Jusko Painting in a deal just last week from a collector in Europe as part of a huge art deal we did...... (i gotta get on him now as this was valued at 6-7k in our deal.) LOL

I Never knew it was in comic link before....... but now i see it was.......

This auction doesnt state when it was...do you have that info lobrac?

As i said previously..I do art deals nearly EVERY DAY........So thanks so much for this info lobrac!!!

very much appreciated! :)

ROMITAMAN

Edited by romitaman

6 hours ago, romitaman said:

This auction doesnt state when it was...do you have that info lobrac?

F U G L Y

image.thumb.png.65074923485fa77ed4a8c38e7fc01dba.png

End Date: 12/10/2019 9:29:00 PM

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FALLSUB.ASP%3FFocused%3D1%26id%3D1398%26pg%3D4%23Item_1365662&id=1365662&itemType=1

6 hours ago, romitaman said:

(i gotta get on him now as this was valued at 6-7k in our deal.)

Oops*. Really just two parties for over $2600 even...

12/10/2019 9:28:50 PM ET  $3,300
12/10/2019 9:28:50 PM ET  $3,200
12/10/2019 6:16:59 PM ET  $2,600
12/4/2019 5:02:03 PM ET  $888

Evidently fugly Jusko Conans are falling from trees for well under $6-7k "value" (we all know what that means ;) )

Here for the taking for a mere $5k lol

image.thumb.png.a184b7490cf959af089cef9d7ef57ff9.png

https://comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems.asp%3Fid%3D7040&id=1378310

*unless what you traded the other way was overvalued by even more than 250-300%, most likely it was so WIN still goes to Mike lol

5 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I now know where I can send my old, used sneakers which aren't quite so worn out to throw away yet but too worn out not to be replaced.

What's that mailing address?

I believe the term is “donation” - although this thread seems to be a bit a void of charitable intentions. 

4 hours ago, vodou said:

F U G L Y

image.thumb.png.65074923485fa77ed4a8c38e7fc01dba.png

End Date: 12/10/2019 9:29:00 PM

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FALLSUB.ASP%3FFocused%3D1%26id%3D1398%26pg%3D4%23Item_1365662&id=1365662&itemType=1

Oops*. Really just two parties for over $2600 even...

12/10/2019 9:28:50 PM ET  $3,300
12/10/2019 9:28:50 PM ET  $3,200
12/10/2019 6:16:59 PM ET  $2,600
12/4/2019 5:02:03 PM ET  $888

Evidently fugly Jusko Conans are falling from trees for well under $6-7k "value" (we all know what that means ;) )

Here for the taking for a mere $5k lol

image.thumb.png.a184b7490cf959af089cef9d7ef57ff9.png

https://comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems.asp%3Fid%3D7040&id=1378310

*unless what you traded the other way was overvalued by even more than 250-300%, most likely it was so WIN still goes to Mike lol

I am sure Jusko will be very disappointed to hear that his image does not meet your standards of male attractiveness.  

1 minute ago, RS88 said:

Jusko will be very disappointed

Nobody knows better than Joe himself of his own limitations and shortcomings. We talked about it many years ago (either Philly or Baltimore 2004). His collection of illustration at was spectacular (since mostly disbursed iirc), it was obvious what he liked and would have liked to accomplish.

24 minutes ago, INKREDIBLE BULK said:

It seems like a decent page, I'm not sure of either value ($450, $1500), but good luck to the concerned collectors!  

Mike making a buck, what's not to love?

A vibrant market place benefits everyone who is a fan for whatever reason.  

David