• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,088 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Now, why were there deleted? Why is it illigitimate to question what looks like market manipulation, by offering specific facts and NOT making any accusations?

That’s a question for the mods.

Perhaps

2 hours ago, aokartman said:

AnkurJ said 

"10/2018 was offered for $12k

“sold” in heritage earlier this year for 6k

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/adam-hughes-red-sonja-tarzan-1-cover-original-art-dynamite-entertainment-2018-/a/7229-94057.s

Now available at $11,500 and on hold

https://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtId=5468592"

Thanks, AnkurJ,

This reveals for new, or recent, collectors how the marketplace is not necessarily as transparent 

as it might appear at first look. 

There is no way of following the ownership provenance, so it's all guesswork as to whether

it is simply market shenanigans.

The piece may have been waiting for the right buyer for a couple years, meanwhile churning

through dealer sites and auction houses to gain visibility and price point credibility.

Who offered it for $12K in 2018?  (Curious).

Best, David

I really wish people would stop looking at the price of art and think more about the artistic merit of the piece. Then this sort of stuff would be much hard to do. Frankly, I think the piece looks stereotypical dumb, even if Hughes is a good artist.

But then, I have noticed for the past several months, some inexpensive pieces by Kaluta showing up regularly on Heritage and selling for well under $1,000. Okay, the subject matter isn’t always the most interesting, and there isn’t a Spider-man or Batman in the bunch, but they are the work of a very skillful artist (who sometimes is a little too detailed perhaps). I’m not shilling, they aren’t for sale by me, but compared to that painting? Really, makes me wonder about a lot of pricing.

15 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Perhaps

I really wish people would stop looking at the price of art and think more about the artistic merit of the piece. Then this sort of stuff would be much hard to do. Frankly, I think the piece looks stereotypical dumb, even if Hughes is a good artist.

Still fugly.

http://www.romitaman.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=23649&ArtistId=1307

71AB8003-1358-4D13-B95D-AE46C4678F0B.jpeg

I'm proud to share this great Adam Hughes Red Sonja cover story for EVERYONE,  that Ankur posted above!

I love it when this happens by the way.......I sold this cover 2 years ago (at San Diego Comic Con I believe)...Low and behold it appears in the May 2020 Heritage Auction....

It shocked the heck out of me that i was able to win it for 6900........

I put it back up on my website for 500 less than what i sold it for in 2018..... And 1 hour after i put it on my website i had a buyer for 11.5k.... ALL CASH!

I always tell people..... Just because something sells at auction for a certain price only means it was worth that much on "THAT PARTICULAR DAY!"

If people want to give their thoughts, or conspiracy theories on what I did........Feel free....

Edited by romitaman

2 hours ago, First Upgrade said:

20201107_100052.jpg

It really is part of Mike's history, no doubt, but the shakeout was there was nothing untoward about his activity (then, or now, apparently), rather there was considerable blowback from collectors about discovering that having your friends bid on your auction lots and then selling them back to you was OK.  I am not that drilled in that I would conceive of such a plan, but I can see if it is your life's work or primary source of income, whatever, go for it.

Best, David S. Albright

Edited by aokartman
text

Sounds like Mike is a solid businessman that supports and stabilizes the hobby we love so much. His collection could be run by someone who could easily throw a wrench into the market. He loves transactions, the people, and the hobby. Good for him. 

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

Sounds like Mike is a businessman that supports and causes concern regarding the validity of the hobby we love so much. His collection could be run by someone who could easily throw a wrench into the market which further causes concern for the manipulation that continues to happen. He loves transactions justified by false sales, the clueless people who continue to line up, and the hobby. Good for him. 

Bad for us.

Fixed for you. At the end of the day, people will not care of the integrity of any dealer as long as it continues to feed their addiction.

Edited by AnkurJ