• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,085 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, XxSpideyxX said:

This entire listing is an insult to JR Sr.  I have asked him to change the item description immediately or be reported for fraud.

I wondered about that. Who would take the report? Not eBay, as best I can tell. Does the FTC or FBI care about individual cases of eBay items with incorrect information?

Now he's changed it so that the main image for his offering is a digital mock-up making the Spidey splash into a fake cover image! You have to scroll through the images to find the one that represents the actual page.

s-l1600.jpg.f4ea7b60effc203655879aabbaf3ffda.jpg

We can take solace that the rarified group of buyers who would cough up $69,000k for a page are also the people who are going to want a clearer Romita provenance than the seller's opinion.

Right? Or are there some gullible and uninformed buyers in that price stratosphere?

Edited by RBerman

1 hour ago, RBerman said:

We can take solace that the rarified group of buyers who would cough up $69,000k for a page are also the people who are going to want a clearer Romita provenance than the seller's opinion.

Right? Or are there some gullible and uninformed buyers in that price stratosphere?

I can't speak for the whales (I ain't no Aquaman) but if this doesn't ring all the warning bells in the universe you deserve to get taken: 

"As a pioneer of the comic book movement in the 60s and the 70s an as a long time comic art book dealer and art minor in collage I comsider my self the best person to evaluate who the artist was for this Spiderman splash! Unfortunately like the fake news there are a few big comic dealers who are giving out misinformation about the artist! "

14 minutes ago, rlextherobot said:

I can't speak for the whales (I ain't no Aquaman) but if this doesn't ring all the warning bells in the universe you deserve to get taken: 

"As a pioneer of the comic book movement in the 60s and the 70s an as a long time comic art book dealer and art minor in collage I comsider my self the best person to evaluate who the artist was for this Spiderman splash! Unfortunately like the fake news there are a few big comic dealers who are giving out misinformation about the artist! "

But his minor is in collages. Collages!!!exclamation point

I comsider his kredentials to be impeckable!

Edited by Latverian Tourism Board

2 minutes ago, Hamdingers said:

He doesn't even know how to spell Spider-Man :facepalm:

64733.jpg.cccf3ed749ca2898efca2daa60faa4

No matter what the outcome of this Romita Spidey situation, I think we can all agree that putting a shirtless photo of yourself on your buylist is a power move. 

Edited by rlextherobot

10 hours ago, Hamdingers said:

He doesn't even know how to spell Spider-Man :facepalm:

64733.jpg.cccf3ed749ca2898efca2daa60faa4

Do you think he'll honor that sell price for Detective Comics # 27 if I show him this ad? I'd give him positive ebay feedback!

Also, if he REALLY wanted to settle this Spider-Man debacle, couldn't he just reach out to Luke or the Romitas and ask?

*Edit: Guys, he's got a Detective Comics # 27 (1 page only) listed on ebay and...it's hilarious! He put pictures of some dialogue he had with someone who contacted him about errors in that listing. It's a good read. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Detective-Comics-27-1st-Origin-First-Appearance-Of-Batman-Worlds-M-Valuable/333804318056

I don't think either of these items will flip. Nor will the Heidi Doody doll that was once "next to actual Howdy Doody puppets."

Edited by BuraddoRun

I've seen this Theo Holstein ad before and have always wondered about it.  Are we sure this isn't all a bunch of 70s-era gay lingo being used that just got confused for comic stuff over time:

Silver Streak?   Daring Mystery?   Action?   Human Torch?   Sub-Mariner?   All Winners?   Young Allies?   More Fun?   Tough Kid Squad?   Boy Commandos?

There are people who will know far better than I but wouldn't the original page from this issue of Spectacular Spider-Man also have the lettering on the page? It was released in 1998 which I always believed was still prior to digital lettering.

The image is definitely from issue 259. 

Spectacular.jpg

13 minutes ago, Hockeyflow33 said:

There are people who will know far better than I but wouldn't the original page from this issue of Spectacular Spider-Man also have the lettering on the page ? It was released in 1998 which I always believed was still prior to digital lettering.

I thought that by 1998, all Marvel comics had switched to digital lettering, but maybe I'm wrong... In comparision, DC still put lettering on pages in 1998 ; they made the switch later.

Anyway, there are others pages on CAF from that issue which don't have lettering too :

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1017553

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=220087

13 hours ago, RBerman said:

Now he's changed it so that the main image for his offering is a digital mock-up making the Spidey splash into a fake cover image! You have to scroll through the images to find the one that represents the actual page.

s-l1600.jpg.f4ea7b60effc203655879aabbaf3ffda.jpg

No one I know will buy this. 
Not if they want to keep ole grapeape as a friend. I’d have to walk away from ya.... cuz ya done lost yer ever lovin mind!!! I expect Theo will now raise the cover to $79K.

🍇🦍______ ___ ______ :foryou:

45 minutes ago, Ecclectica said:

I thought that by 1998, all Marvel comics had switched to digital lettering, but maybe I'm wrong... In comparision, DC still put lettering on pages in 1998 ; they made the switch later.

Anyway, there are others pages on CAF from that issue which don't have lettering too :

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1017553

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=220087

Yea, I'm certainly no expert haha. I know I have a few GL pages from around that time and I want to say into early/mid 2000s that still have their lettering on the physical page so I was assuming it was similar for Marvel but there will definitely be people who know better than me