• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,088 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Overthetopinc said:

I have bought pieces from Steve and Rich and they were a class act. I know many people who feel the same way. Maybe you would to if you actually try and buy something from them. I do not think they are trying to pull one on anyone by creating stats for pieces. You kidding most of those twice up covers, that has been done too ions ago. It is at their expense and they do not claim it to be original stats or original art. Anyone who has money to buy something from them knows that. They are in the business of selling art and they try and make it more appealing. I do not feel it adds to the piece but I do not slam people I do not know, never met, nor bought or tried to buy anything from. If you have a real complaint, let's hear it. Otherwise all this copying and pasting with insults is for children. Now I know enough to know no one is going to like this post and I will not get any credit for sticking up for good people or change any minds on this damn thing we call social media but at least I know I tried =)

What have you bought from them? 

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

I bought from the brothers once.  After that experience, I have steered clear of them.

I am sorry to hear that. I was overjoyed with how our deals have gone down in the past. I did a large trade with them too awhile back and they were solid. 

8 minutes ago, lobrac said:

The Donnellys turn pieces of art that are not covers into covers with replacement stats much too often. It's deceiving and does not add positively to this hobby. They have no shame and will rip people off with this tactic. Class act? Wake up and smell the correctional fluid, bro. Here's a classic example. Take a piece that was never a cover...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/ricardo-villamonte-moon-knight-and-brother-voodoo-illustration-original-art-undated-/a/7187-94783.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

Then add some fake stats, and now it's a cover!

https://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtId=1413032

I do not agree with putting stats on it but I will give them the benefit of the doubt and figure they meant to say unpublished cover which it might be because the original cover has those characters I believe in a graveyard. Maybe something they know we don't? I just do not see them out to fool anyone. But I agree the stats do not do anything for me and probably should be left alone. 

7 hours ago, Overthetopinc said:

I do not agree with putting stats on it but I will give them the benefit of the doubt and figure they meant to say unpublished cover which it might be because the original cover has those characters I believe in a graveyard. Maybe something they know we don't? I just do not see them out to fool anyone. But I agree the stats do not do anything for me and probably should be left alone. 

If I buy a piece of art which was not intended as a potential cover, or actually used as one, I don’t think a dealer has a right to add a stat and decide it could have been published. I have bought something directly from them, and the transaction was fine, but it is a cover, and ever since reading about stunt, I have wondered a bit about it (I do know the original, so I am not too worried).

I think most of the people here are disturbed by their pricing policies; but looking backwards, at the way prices have gone up, they were smart to be that tough even if it pissed off a lot of collectors. 

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

If I buy a piece of art which was not intended as a potential cover, or actually used as one, I don’t think a dealer has a right to add a stat and decide it could have been published. I have bought something directly from them, and the transaction was fine, but it is a cover, and ever since reading about stunt, I have wondered a bit about it (I do know the original, so I am not too worried).

I think most of the people here are disturbed by their pricing policies; but looking backwards, at the way prices have gone up, they were smart to be that tough even if it pissed off a lot of collectors. 

I can agree with that. But I doubt those stats are glued on. They are probably just a sheet laying over the piece for presentation purposes. 

10 minutes ago, Overthetopinc said:

I can agree with that. But I doubt those stats are glued on. They are probably just a sheet laying over the piece for presentation purposes. 

they do both. They add to the art and they do overlays as well. It is all documented around here somewhere.

14 hours ago, Overthetopinc said:

I have bought pieces from Steve and Rich and they were a class act. I know many people who feel the same way. Maybe you would to if you actually try and buy something from them. I do not think they are trying to pull one on anyone by creating stats for pieces. You kidding most of those twice up covers, that has been done too ions ago. It is at their expense and they do not claim it to be original stats or original art. Anyone who has money to buy something from them knows that. They are in the business of selling art and they try and make it more appealing. I do not feel it adds to the piece but I do not slam people I do not know, never met, nor bought or tried to buy anything from. If you have a real complaint, let's hear it. Otherwise all this copying and pasting with insults is for children. Now I know enough to know no one is going to like this post and I will not get any credit for sticking up for good people or change any minds on this damn thing we call social media but at least I know I tried =)

When you're selling pages for $1,500 or more that sell everywhere else for $150-200 it's hard to make a purchase... 

3 hours ago, Bird said:

they do both. They add to the art and they do overlays as well. It is all documented around here somewhere.

I know a certain Silver Age cover they have which originally did not have the title on it when offered by Albert Moy now has a title and is attached to the artwork.

13 hours ago, Overthetopinc said:

What art did you buy from them? 

1 hour ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

What art did you buy from them? 

I traded them an Jim Lee uncanny xmen cover years ago that went smooth. I also have bought some pricier items in the last year that I will take pics and share with ya when I get a chance. That went smooth. Also one of my first art purchases was a Ghost Rider pinup 21 years ago that went good as well. I do not know the whole situation apparently about the stats but with me at least they have been good so I had to make that post because of that.

1 hour ago, Overthetopinc said:

I traded them an Jim Lee uncanny xmen cover years ago that went smooth. I also have bought some pricier items in the last year that I will take pics and share with ya when I get a chance. That went smooth. Also one of my first art purchases was a Ghost Rider pinup 21 years ago that went good as well. I do not know the whole situation apparently about the stats but with me at least they have been good so I had to make that post because of that.

Gotcha. That's cool. I've never tried buying from them because of the lack of asking prices/hearing that you get a different answer depending on a number of random factors. Beyond that the whole adding stats to art and acting like it was meant to be a cover, or that it was a cover is a scummy practice. There seems to be plenty of evidence pointing to them doing that. Glad you've had good experiences though. I imagine that you paid up for what you've gotten, but if it's been a while those would probably be no brainer steal prices in today's market. 

Wasn't planning on discussing this topic, but assuming I had a "true cover" and the stats were loose or nasty, sent it out to a "restorer" to replace, would we/the collecting community have an issue with that?

As long as they are just adding stats that should (or could have been there), I'm not sure I have an issue. If they are taking a non-cover, putting stats on it and calling it some type of "variant", that is totally wrong.