• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,075 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, Overthetopinc said:

Why don't you email them and ask if that is a stat of the art or hand drawn on. I bet its a stat.

You may want to use the search function on this forum and look for coollines and you will find plenty of interesting stories. 

By the way, if this example is all stat, it is is the best stat they have ever produced.

Even if it is, it should be very clearly disclosed and there is zero mentioning of it.

1 hour ago, wurstisart said:

You may want to use the search function on this forum and look for coollines and you will find plenty of interesting stories. 

By the way, if this example is all stat, it is is the best stat they have ever produced.

Even if it is, it should be very clearly disclosed and there is zero mentioning of it.

This is the problem with social media. We dance around in negative circles and nothing changes. People just get more irate. I could say well they do not put lengthy descriptions on any piece so if you inquired I am sure they would tell you. Ya, I am well aware of everyone who does no business with them have a lot to say. That is why I thought I would chime in with my personal experience with them. 

On 1/24/2021 at 6:57 PM, MagnusX said:

Spider-Man Lizard Pin-up/Commission by Chris Bachalo.

Sold on Ebay Jan 10 for $ 425 Link...
But it could be yours now for $ 1,500.00 Link...

s-l1600.jpg

Bizarro Spider-man swinging on barbed wire?  He'll have someone's eyes out with those feet!

:jokealert:

Edited by The Voord

35 minutes ago, Overthetopinc said:

If you do not mind could you share what the bad experience was with Steve or Rich?

I'd like to chime in on that question.

Some years back, Steve Donnelly had a Spidey cover by Romita Jr. on offer that I quite liked.  The cover had not long previously been on sale with Mike Burkey at, I think, around $8 - 9K.  When offered by Steve Donnelly, a John Romita Snr signature had magically appeared where it previously hadn't existed and when I did the masochistic thing and made an enquiry, the price had shot up about three times Mike had previously listed the art at (and Mike's no shrinking violet when it comes to asking top dollar).  I didn't believe for one moment that Romita Snr inked the cover, and could see no on-line credits listing him as inker, so I asked Mike (who is usually pretty good at identifying JR Snr art and inks) and he said no.  Furthermore, Mike said that Steve Donnelly, if in the same room at Romita Snr at conventions, etc., would ask him to sign artworks he never inked (sometimes getting a bit confused and talked into signing art Steve was pushing in front of him).

I'm glad that your experiences with the Brothers Donnelly have been good, but when people list lots of negative experiences, don't you think they might have good reason to do so?

1 hour ago, Overthetopinc said:

If you do not mind could you share what the bad experience was with Steve or Rich?

They had a make an offer item on Ebay.  I made an offer and they accepted but before I paid they came back and said they had another offer at a higher price and if I wanted the piece they would let me have it if I paid the higher price.  I had no idea if they really had another offer and seriously considered saying "pass" to see if they would come back with the old "turns out that buyer fell through" and you can have it for the original price.  At the end I paid the higher price but now don't even look at their stuff.

33 minutes ago, The Voord said:

I'd like to chime in on that question.

Some years back, Steve Donnelly had a Spidey cover by Romita Jr. on offer that I quite liked.  The cover had not long previously been on sale with Mike Burkey at, I think, around $8 - 9K.  When offered by Steve Donnelly, a John Romita Snr signature had magically appeared where it previously hadn't existed and when I did the masochistic thing and made an enquiry, the price had shot up about three times Mike had previously listed the art at (and Mike's no shrinking violet when it comes to asking top dollar).  I didn't believe for one moment that Romita Snr inked the cover, and could see no on-line credits listing him as inker, so I asked Mike (who is usually pretty good at identifying JR Snr art and inks) and he said no.  Furthermore, Mike said that Steve Donnelly, if in the same room at Romita Snr at conventions, etc., would ask him to sign artworks he never inked (sometimes getting a bit confused and talked into signing art Steve was pushing in front of him).

I'm glad that your experiences with the Brothers Donnelly have been good, but when people list lots of negative experiences, don't you think they might have good reason to do so?

You know you were doing great until the last line with your question. Do you think when someone asks about experience's with the Donnely's as opposed to random character assassination might make sense? Social media is a curse! As for Batman_fan that is a messed up situation. I feel for ya on that. That is all I was asking for. Because many people just talk even though they never even exchanged a word with them. Therefore there are tons of posts but only few examples of why they should be singled out. That is all I have been trying to say. Ya, the Romita signature is a bit strange. One might be able to say a Romita signature on a piece is a plus if it is a spidey piece but I never would but I could see that if I apply some empathy. As far as pricing that is a decision they make. I do not find that a valid complaint. 

12 minutes ago, Overthetopinc said:

You know you were doing great until the last line with your question. Do you think when someone asks about experience's with the Donnely's as opposed to random character assassination might make sense? Social media is a curse! As for Batman_fan that is a messed up situation. I feel for ya on that. That is all I was asking for. Because many people just talk even though they never even exchanged a word with them. Therefore there are tons of posts but only few examples of why they should be singled out. That is all I have been trying to say. Ya, the Romita signature is a bit strange. One might be able to say a Romita signature on a piece is a plus if it is a spidey piece but I never would but I could see that if I apply some empathy. As far as pricing that is a decision they make. I do not find that a valid complaint. 

I have had  similarly (bad) experiences with Steve Donnelly and I listed just one example.  Social media is just a communications tool where people share their thoughts, ideas and experiences (same as you're doing yourself)  No different to real-life exchanges (assuming the on-line guys are identifiable and/or well known)..

As for the business of asking Romita Snr to sign artworks he never touched with a pencil or ink brush, if you don't think that's a valid criticism, I'd love to hear your definition of what constitutes one?  Pricing based on a high-end artist's work that doesn't actually appear on the page?  I'd call it fraud.  Can I point you in the direction of Richard Rae who can offer you some 'Kirby/Royer' art?*

Anyways, it's late here in the UK, so I'll reply to any response you may wish to make tomorrow.

* You'd have to research that one.

10 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

No more about the Donnely's. From me at least. I know plenty about Richard Rae by the way. I don't care on continuing this game people play on this thing. I do know that people are very rude on social media and say things that are insulting that they would never say in a civil discourse to someone's face so no need to wake up tomorrow and continue that nonsense. As for your post Ankur, Great painting but ya I do not understand that jump. Been a few years but that definitely belongs on this thread,lol.

2 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Since I'm on the boards, I'll just answer you :)

It's an aggressive price for sure,  heritage was a horrible place to list the art and didn't even mention rifts in the title.  Lesser covers were already selling private for 50% more than the hammer on this cover.   Plus,  over the last few years just about every rifts cover has been snapped up by several collectors and they are impossible to find.   The only ones you'll see on caf are John zeleznik's old listings that are gone as far as I know. 

It might also be the best rifts cover offered for sale in the next 5 years, most are in black holes and will never come out.   The game has a fairly small,  but rabid fan base.   I'm floating it out now,  because it's the only one I've never framed, if it gets framed it will be off the market again as well. 

I watch this market like a hawk,  and it's been growing quickly. 

Do I expect to get 8k?  No,  but it's worth a lot more than I won it for.  

Edited by Pete Marino

6 hours ago, Overthetopinc said:

No more about the Donnely's. From me at least. I know plenty about Richard Rae by the way. I don't care on continuing this game people play on this thing. I do know that people are very rude on social media and say things that are insulting that they would never say in a civil discourse to someone's face so no need to wake up tomorrow and continue that nonsense. As for your post Ankur, Great painting but ya I do not understand that jump. Been a few years but that definitely belongs on this thread,lol.

I hear you about chat boards often getting way too personal, in this instance however it is strictly informative and I have to applaud everyone that is bringing up cases of altered art and transparency is key in our hobby.

8 hours ago, cloud cloddie said:

Not sure what games people are playing. You asked for examples, people gave, you explained them away. There are countless threads in the art forum detailing countless valid issues with them if you’re seriously interested in learning more beyond your positive experiences. Defending the Donnelly’s seems like a weird hill to die on regardless. 

Thanks, CC, saves me some further explanation, but not all.  Yes, examples were asked for and, in my case, a valid example of attempted fraud was given (if you don't like the answers, don't ask the question).  Not something for the OP of this sub-thread to explain away or justify by saying they can ask what they want for the art (asking prices and fraudulent listings are two different things).  The subject of the Donnellys cropping up time and time again is down to their actions and their actions alone.  Yes, there are keyboard warriors out there on social media, but on this art forum most people here are known to one another and are usually looking out for one another's interests - as is the case here.

Edited by The Voord

6 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

Since I'm on the boards, I'll just answer you :)

It's an aggressive price for sure,  heritage was a horrible place to list the art and didn't even mention rifts in the title.  Lesser covers were already selling private for 50% more than the hammer on this cover.   Plus,  over the last few years just about every rifts cover has been snapped up by several collectors and they are impossible to find.   The only ones you'll see on caf are John zeleznik's old listings that are gone as far as I know. 

It might also be the best rifts cover offered for sale in the next 5 years, most are in black holes and will never come out.   The game has a fairly small,  but rabid fan base.   I'm floating it out now,  because it's the only one I've never framed, if it gets framed it will be off the market again as well. 

I watch this market like a hawk,  and it's been growing quickly. 

Do I expect to get 8k?  No,  but it's worth a lot more than I won it for.  

What is it, and what is a rifts? Frankly, as artwork goes, it doesn’t impress me.

8 hours ago, The Voord said:

Thanks, CC, saves me some further explanation, but not all.  Yes, examples were asked for and, in my case, a valid example of attempted fraud was given (if you don't like the answers, don't ask the question).  Not something for the OP of this sub-thread to explain away or justify by saying they can ask what they want for the art (asking prices and fraudulent listings are two different things).  The subject of the Donnellys cropping up time and time again is down to their actions and their actions alone.  Yes, there are keyboard warriors out there on social media, but on this art forum most people here are known to one another and are usually looking out for one another's interests - as is the case here.

Fair enough guys. I will not discuss this matter anymore. I do know there are some valid debates. Just thought I would chime in with my positive experiences. I did and am happy with that. I would have done the same with any of you.

7 minutes ago, lobrac said:

Does anyone actually buy to collect anymore? (asking for a friend)

Sure, but those pages by definition vanish from the marketplace, at least in the short term. What percentage of sales previously sold in the last year? I suspect it's pretty small.