• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,088 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lobrac said:

$1300 on "Amateur Dueling Dealers of Comic Art"...now $3000 with a "Professional" dealer.

https://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtId=6318130

$1500 on "Amateur Dueling Dealers of Comic Art"...now $3500 with a "Professional" dealer.

https://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtId=6318129

$700, now $2500:

https://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtId=6318122

$650, now $1500:

https://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtId=6318126

Check out CAF's Bill Cox hosting the Amateur Dueling Dealers here. There was some great art being offered, and these were nice pick-ups.

I thought all those pages looked familiar. 

2 hours ago, vodou said:

I think it's time the hobby defined the difference between amateur and professional ;) 

Everywhere else only the pro expects to get paid.

edward-grazda-nyc-photos-0[1].jpg

Professional = Anyone who sells a page of art thinks they are. 

Edited by artdealer

That Amateur Dueling Dealers was a lot of fun to watch but exposed a weakness when the material is fresh and priced right - whoever had the fastest internet won which was somewhat consistent - no great idea on how to fix it though...maybe you take the claimants within 10 seconds and roll a die to pick the winner?

12 minutes ago, mtlevy1 said:

priced right

Or... under priced ?? 

If you're buying for the purpose of re-selling, maybe it's a lot easier to pull the trigger ??  Also, maybe a lot of people just had CLAIM4-DINO (or whoever) typed into the chat before the piece appeared.  Then you only had one more click to send.  I don't have a youtube account so I'm not in the chat.  It's interesting to watch but almost none of the art interests me.  A lot of the "appeal" is the immediacy.  But I won't jump at a piece that I can't clearly see and there's no zoom with only a few seconds or minutes to think it over.  Also I'd also be worried about icing or frosting on my art.  Because you know... CAKE !!

I think of selling art a lot like sitting at a poker table. If you take a seat and throw chips its on you to know what you are doing. So when someone sells something to a dealer, I'm honestly shocked if i don't see that piece for at least 2x the purchase price when the dealer relists it soon afterwards. Their job is to take you for as much money as they can while smiling. Nothing wrong with that, I believe in capitalism and this is just a very pure expression of that. Just gotta know who is who, what is what.

16 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

I hoped pieces would go to collectors who appreciate them but I couldn't exclude dealers as they are collectors too and the DD format is by nature democratic... "first claim, first served".  While I see no difference between a collector flipping and a dealer reselling for profit, the 2-3x pricing less than a week later is more in-your-face than usual but everyone agrees that current owners can do as they please. 

It may be supposed that the rush to flip ( whether amateur or pro dealer) has no consequences. Well... ;)

Not all consequences are seen or felt. For instance, some people will never do business with a party that's so blatantly mercenary in their actions. Subtlety does still have it's place and value among gentlemen, no? Now that party will likely never know what they missed out on, but the loss of some business will occur just the same. I mean - we all have our lists, don't we? So many, many folks in our hobby...old and new are on mine :) and the next time a number of them get together and verbalize how hard it is to source new quality inventory, well, lollollol you reap what you sow.

6 minutes ago, vodou said:

It may be supposed that the rush to flip ( whether amateur or pro dealer) has no consequences. Well... ;)

Not all consequences are seen or felt. For instance, some people will never do business with a party that's so blatantly mercenary in their actions. Subtlety does still have it's place and value among gentlemen, no? Now that party will likely never know what they missed out on, but the loss of some business will occur just the same. I mean - we all have our lists, don't we? So many, many folks in our hobby...old and new are on mine :) and the next time a number of them get together and verbalize how hard it is to source new quality inventory, well, lollollol you reap what you sow.

Maybe Bill would consider a session of dueling dealers using a Dutch auction, with price points being a hard floor where the piece is withdrawn from sale. That might reduce the dealer participation. Since dealers are looking to buy and sell, but collectors don’t need the “profit” to make a deal work, it might result in more sales to hobbyists.

Edited by Rick2you2

1 hour ago, GreatEscape said:

I might suggest that "known" dealers have to wait until the recap round, but ultimately Bill sets the ground rules that we (amateur dealers, collectors) must follow.

First of all .. thank you Dino for putting up so much great stuff for us to even try to buy! 

As far as my quoted piece, I had suggested to Bill that dealers have to at least wait at least  few seconds to give the collectors a chance, and if you watch the DD regularly you will see that some dealers do not claim immediately but give others a chance.. it is pretty obvious if you watch all the time who is who.. and I have noticed and appreciate the ones that do not try to glom all the art to resell. 

1 hour ago, GreatEscape said:

While I see no difference between a collector flipping and a dealer reselling for profit, the 2-3x pricing less than a week later is more in-your-face than usual

This. I couldn't agree more.  Is in poor taste.  Glen could have waited a couple of months. 

Thanks Dino. ADD was a fun night. I was lucky enough to buy a piece before Glen.

Edited by Matches_Malone

54 minutes ago, Matches_Malone said:

Glen could have waited a couple of months. 

Or not if one is competing in a hot market and personal liquidity is tight or terms to access it are less than favorable.

In that case, to stay in the game you must churn, which is just not how luxury goods works in general ;) 

As always, I enjoy watching certain exaggerated personalities become even more exaggerated as their machinations become more desperate.

On 4/5/2021 at 3:14 PM, vodou said:

Or not if one is competing in a hot market and personal liquidity is tight or terms to access it are less than favorable.

In that case, to stay in the game you must churn, which is just not how luxury goods works in general ;) 

As always, I enjoy watching certain exaggerated personalities become even more exaggerated as their machinations become more desperate.

I do not disagree with this statement in general, however  the OA community is a tight community. 

Edited by Matches_Malone

1 hour ago, Matches_Malone said:

This. I couldn't agree more.  Is in poor taste.  Glen could have waited a couple of months. 

Thanks Dino. ADD was a fun night. I was lucky enough to buy a piece before Glen.

Agreed. I was shut out on the two pieces I would have liked to own. But there is always more art! Thanks again to Dino for offering some fun art!