• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,075 posts in this topic

Dino and Jordan are super dudes for doing the show, and Bill Cox is super awesome for producing and organizing the show, but let's get back to the order of business....Al Gofa!

$100:

https://inkyknuckles.com/al-gofa/dark-angels-of-darkness-page-114

Now $500!

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1717997&GSub=215219

20 minutes ago, lobrac said:

Dino and Jordan are super dudes for doing the show, and Bill Cox is super awesome for producing and organizing the show, but let's get back to the order of business....Al Gofa!

$100:

https://inkyknuckles.com/al-gofa/dark-angels-of-darkness-page-114

Now $500!

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1717997&GSub=215219

You are following Al Gofa art sales?!?  I am impressed.

45 minutes ago, Noob19 said:

How long does one need to keep a newly acquired piece before relisting it at a higher price for it not to be a "flip"? Asking for a friend...

I generally consider anything relisted within a year a flip. The comic art version of short term vs long term capital gains. Lol

Edited by cloud cloddie

On 9/1/2020 at 9:13 PM, cloud cloddie said:

Somebody got a discount waiting for open market. 13K, to 16K, to Clink 8601. 

3DD53112-6E96-44A8-84F4-90F8E6164FDA.jpeg

Man, this piece just can’t find a home. Coming up for sale again for the 4th time in a year. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/-this-item-has-been-entered-into-our-system-and-is-now-going-through-the-imaging-and-describing-process-further-details-will-be-added-before/p/7244-20001.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

5 hours ago, cloud cloddie said:

That’s what happens when an artist leaves out the cleavage.

1 hour ago, joefixit2 said:

Sold on CL in June 2020 for $726 then sold on Heritage last week for $385.  Guess that's a reverse flip

eyecover.jpg

It might have sold for at least 1 bid more had I realized it was up for auction. It was on the back of my mind but wasn't chasing it. Would have at least bid one or 2 more from that. 

Malvin 

7 hours ago, malvin said:

It might have sold for at least 1 bid more had I realized it was up for auction. It was on the back of my mind but wasn't chasing it. Would have at least bid one or 2 more from that. 

Malvin 

What is it?

A shout-out to this thread by CAF maestro Bill Cox at the 2 hour 23 minute. But the point of this thread is to not call out pieces "flipped" into a public auction with no reserves, where they will land at a final bid price wherever the market takes them...or (sadly) shill bids take them, as we've seen in the past with a known dealer and his consignments at Heritage Auctions.

Oh, and if you're annoyed by this thread or dislike it or think there is too much whining here, then stop reading it. But I guess since it's gotten over 123K views at this point, I guess it's not going away anytime soon.

1 hour ago, lobrac said:

A shout-out to this thread by CAF maestro Bill Cox at the 2 hour 23 minute. But the point of this thread is to not call out pieces "flipped" into a public auction with no reserves, where they will land at a final bid price wherever the market takes them...or (sadly) shill bids take them, as we've seen in the past with a known dealer and his consignments at Heritage Auctions.

Oh, and if you're annoyed by this thread or dislike it or think there is too much whining here, then stop reading it. But I guess since it's gotten over 123K views at this point, I guess it's not going away anytime soon.

I appreciate everything Bill does for this hobby, but seeing as how half his YouTube videos (and many threads here) seem more about the price of art than art itself, it’s pretty disingenuous calling out a flipping thread. Ignoring the fact that flipping definitely contributes to all these record prices is basically just gaslighting. 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - I have no problem with people flipping. Heck, I’ve bought a few of the pieces that have come up in this thread. Do I find some of these flips comical? Sure - the same way I find regular pie in the sky prices on dealer sites comical. And there’s always a bit of schadenfreude watching a piece sit that was specifically bought as a flip, that could’ve been happy elsewhere in a collection. But what’s more whiny to me is pretending this hobby exists in a bubble. 

On 4/7/2021 at 2:20 PM, cloud cloddie said:

I generally consider anything relisted within a year a flip. The comic art version of short term vs long term capital gains. Lol

Just to go a little deeper on this, what if one puts up for auction a recently received commission that's underwhelming... Is that a "flip"? Or is it necessary to hold it for a year...? Again, asking for a friend...

Edited by Noob19

5 minutes ago, Noob19 said:

Just to go a little deeper on this, what if one puts up for auction a recently received commission that's underwhelming... Is that a "flip"? Or is it necessary to hold it for a year...? Again, asking for a friend...

flips are attempts to make money. if you find a commission is not up to your standards and decide to sell it, that does not in and of itself smell of a flip

now what are you pricing it at?