• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,075 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, cloud cloddie said:

At the end of the day, anybody who owns art can do what they like with it. 

This sums up how I feel about this sort of thing. I don't necessarily like to see it, but it happens everywhere in the collectible world, and is just the nature of the beast.

Regardless, this topic is fun. And it helps keep we potential buyers more informed.

55 minutes ago, hmendryk said:

Well trying to corner the market is one way to push up prices.

Every person trying to put books scattered to the winds back together is "trying" to corner a market.

We already have ample quantity of examples of how well that turns out lol 

53 minutes ago, vodou said:

Every person trying to put books scattered to the winds back together is "trying" to corner a market.

We already have ample quantity of examples of how well that turns out lol 

Yeah it’s amusing how the Hunter of the rare complete book initially bags it’s prey 2-3 pages at a time. As the trophy wall fills frame by frame, down to needing a precious few, suddenly it’s the Hunter who becomes the hunted.

Or dare I say the Corner Marketer who becomes the corneredlol

Or is it the telemarketer that becomes the hunted? Yes, that is the better dream.

17 hours ago, grapeape said:

Yeah it’s amusing how the Hunter of the rare complete book initially bags it’s prey 2-3 pages at a time. As the trophy wall fills frame by frame, down to needing a precious few, suddenly it’s the Hunter who becomes the hunted.

Or dare I say the Corner Marketer who becomes the corneredlol

Or is it the telemarketer that becomes the hunted? Yes, that is the better dream.

This leads to the question which has been asked before. Is it better to let people know publicly that you're looking for pages or better to keep it to yourself and tell only a select few if at all?

25 minutes ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

This leads to the question which has been asked before. Is it better to let people know publicly that you're looking for pages or better to keep it to yourself and tell only a select few if at all?

It’s a great question.Here’s my take on how to handle the pursuit of those final pages. 
Exhaust every avenue to find and buy your desired pages without publicity.

If you’ve done that, let fellow collectors that you trust know what you’re looking for. I’ve had good outcomes networking on an honor system of trust.
Finally, advertise asking to buy what you’re looking for when all else fails. I think it’s better not to say, I NEED JUST PAGES 8 and 9 TO COMPLETE THIS BOOK. That is chum in the water for the greedy. In any case be prepared to pay up within reason.

I actively try to help fellow collectors find what they are looking for. My hope is when I need to find something the good will may be returned. 

On 4/16/2021 at 8:43 AM, Hockeyflow33 said:

It now joins the tons of other unsold Miller sketches he's selling for ridiculous prices. Some have been up there for nearly five years 

I would love on a blank DK comic a batman headshot decently pencilled by Miller, inked by Janson, colored by Lynn, and cgc graded 9.8. Anyone see those around?

7 hours ago, vodou said:

I gave ya'll two weeks to work this out for yourselves. Oh well. So now I'll give the answer: you're either filing a Federal Schedule C (professional) or you're not (amateur).

Until further notice...I will entertain no arguments that so-so is a "dealer" not a "collector" (so it's not a "flip") and their activity shouldn't hit this thread for that reason...unless: they publicly state that they are filing a Federal Schedule C annually (as I am).

And with that:

Exhibit A.

image.thumb.png.eb9541ca5114016de20f3df36de56a65.png

Exhibit B:

image.png.587eb3f73da4c0373d28ca02fc391448.png

At least this time it was three weeks ;) 

I am a big fan of Dave Hoover's Captain America, so I was initially considering bidding when it came up on eBay. That is until the bidding started to get pretty high. There was another one that recently sold for about 10K (ComicLink?). So hence the 15K price (hey a dealer has to make a profit). Sad for me because it means that I am now out of the market for an artist that I used to collect (for much, much less).