• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,088 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, malvin said:

yes, for sale, not sold, big difference :p

Malvin

C'mon, Malvin, it ain't my first rodeo. To me that other page (granted IT has nudity) does not seem like an unreasonable price for a full color BS page from that era. An Elektra or Love and War page would be, what, three times that? (I realize the demand for those is much, much greater.) If I was sitting on a war chest right now, I would consider that page at 1600. 

On 7/7/2017 at 6:53 AM, vodou said:

Or if you need to raise some quick money for a 'real life' situation, these tend to be smaller money (I've found*)...that's the equivalent of walking into a gas station and asking if they can break a $5,000 bill ;)

5000.jpg.ffc7ccc43195bca820a1baad4b916d06.jpg

Not the same problem when you have x50 $1,000 pieces...and you still get to keep the other x49 too. (And pick which of your 50 children you love the least!) Not nearly the same emotional letdown either!

Big money players (maybe all players?) imo should have at least 10x whatever price tag is on the table (atm) in the ol' back pocket (liquid) before stepping up to play. Not only does that give room to work the play (take advantage of being the only one at the table, so $45k cash takes it, or bump up to $60k to wash out the competition) but that pre-math helps avoid unnecessary 'real life' complications down the road too. That same liquidity math leaves ca. 90% buying power still in hand, meaning comic art will probably not have to be sacrificed for most everyday things that come up.

And everybody reading this is thinking, "Right. But who has $500k sitting in cash? How many of those guys walking around?" Exactly. A bit sobering but also shines a light on maybe a lot of this stuff not (really) being worth what it last sold for or what they are being offered at today. A lot of fixed price numbers are literally plucked from thin air. Trust me. (Been there, done that, and walked away amazed that somebody actually took the other side of it!) You want to price out your collection, arrive at current FMV, maybe better to do it against the three to five who would be rational buyers (10% of real liquidity) at a price, not to the one that would irrationally max out all their credit lines and live in a cardboard box to win the piece. We all live to bump into The One but it's not a way to value a collection ;) Just thinkin' out loud here...

*Speaking of everyday 'real life' expenses...ever have yourself buried in the world of comic art, auctions, prices, deep deep thought, etc. and then have something real come up you need to buy and THWACK! (to the head) it feels almost free? Basic lawnmowers $250, mid-range snowblowers $500, etc. I find myself forgetting how actually expensive comic art is, until something real puts it (back) into perspective and that reminds me why everybody else that doesn't collect (anything) thinks we're all nuts! Anybody else? And yeah...will the Millenial job/income demographics ever really support taking this stuff off our hands en masse and (what we feel is) FMV? Like Gene, I feel that could be a problem...lotsa multiples of $250 and $500 in this room (collectively)...not sure if the other side is/will be so ready 'n willing.

On that last point, I used to think paying for an iPhone all at once was expensive. NOT SINE I STARTED THIS HOBBY! Now it's "Oh, that's a modern OA cover by an up and coming artist on an IDW book."

19 minutes ago, malvin said:

Maybe the sale didn't go through because the winner didn't realize it was production art?

Malvin

That is the case. If you click on the second sale link it now show "did not sell". I would assume that is why it is back up for sale.

How many of these attempted flips are collectors in a uncertain but rising market trying to get affirmation that they didn't really overpay for a piece by trying to elicit offers from others.

Edited by cstojano

4 hours ago, Lobstrosity said:

Thought this one was interesting:

Chris Ware Zero Zero #16 Jimmy Corrigan page:

Sold 05/19/2017 for $15,535

For sale 07/19/2017 for $25,000

A big jump in 2 months!

lf.jpg

Such a great page. Since I couldn't have afforded it at $15K, I probably won't be inquiring t $25K.

22 hours ago, Lobstrosity said:

Thought this one was interesting:

Chris Ware Zero Zero #16 Jimmy Corrigan page:

Sold 05/19/2017 for $15,535

For sale 07/19/2017 for $25,000

A big jump in 2 months!

lf.jpg

Anyone following the Ware JC market knows that was a solid deal at $15K. Held back because it's not from ACME proper. Anything JC from ACME will start in the $25K range these days. Adam Baumgold has been getting that for even average pages. He gets in an OK page, not quite good enough for me to bite immediately, and then when I do ask about it, someone else has already gotten it.

And, as evidenced by this page, dealers will make sure nothing goes "cheap".

On 7/25/2017 at 1:43 PM, Nexus said:

Anyone following the Ware JC market knows that was a solid deal at $15K. Held back because it's not from ACME proper. Anything JC from ACME will start in the $25K range these days. Adam Baumgold has been getting that for even average pages. He gets in an OK page, not quite good enough for me to bite immediately, and then when I do ask about it, someone else has already gotten it.

And, as evidenced by this page, dealers will make sure nothing goes "cheap".

I agree. I saw this at Moys booth, knowing what he paid, I didn't bother to inquire, I figured it had to be in the 20 range

On 6/18/2017 at 5:25 AM, comicwiz said:

Yep. And I can give you at least one example of how it's bad for the hobby.

Late last year, I contacted someone through CAF on a page I was interested in. The owner didn't mince any words - he basically had his guard up over people (and named several dealers who are either active on these boards or are mentioned) who have been disingenuous about their intentions to buy art from this individual in the past, and didn't want to sell it to a "flipper." Having been my first encounter with this individual (and he is a reputable person), all I could do is provide references to him of people I dealt with, assure him that the piece was going into my collection (not some bs excuse to wriggle it free) and that I would not be selling it. Luckily he instantly recognized some of the names I provided. I should also mention that the initial discussion was significantly higher a price than what I ended-up paying, and I know it had to do with easing the owners concerns that I wasn't some lying sociopath with a flipping disorder, so anyone that thinks "flipping" activity doesn't unnecessarily complicate things for collectors and doesn't come with greater costs to all of us is deluded.

I was contacted several times about a piece I had on my CAF page.  It wasn't something I loved but it was a Byrne splash page that had a ton of detail.  The potential buyer had two pages from the same issue (either right before or right after my page).  I finally agreed to sell it to him for a decent price.  He listed all three pages for sell shortly after.  Now maybe it was just one of those "life happens" things but since then if someone inquires about a piece that I may be willing to part with, they are going to pay way above market price if they really want it.  

16 minutes ago, Twanj said:

What a crock of bull....

This description from Heritage: 

Even John Byrne himself is unsure exactly what this unfinished and unused cover design was for. The back of the page has a note in his personal handwriting that reads "Probably this was intended for one of the Avengers issues featuring the Lava Men. But don't hold me to that!! -- John Byrne".  here is not a published cover that matches this closely enough to attribute it,

Became this?????

BYRNE, JOHN - Avengers #305 cover, unpublished 1'st version. Namor vs a endless flow of Lava Men. 

They are really just make stuff up as they go along. 

Cancerous growth on the hobby. 

54 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

What a crock of bull....

This description from Heritage: 

Even John Byrne himself is unsure exactly what this unfinished and unused cover design was for. The back of the page has a note in his personal handwriting that reads "Probably this was intended for one of the Avengers issues featuring the Lava Men. But don't hold me to that!! -- John Byrne".  here is not a published cover that matches this closely enough to attribute it,

Became this?????

BYRNE, JOHN - Avengers #305 cover, unpublished 1'st version. Namor vs a endless flow of Lava Men. 

They are really just make stuff up as they go along. 

Cancerous growth on the hobby. 

Cancerous growth indeed. SMH.

Edited by JadeGiant