• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,075 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2017 at 8:11 AM, NicoV said:

+ this Krazy Kat illustration did not sell at $11k + 25% BP ?  (=$13,750)
http://natedsanders.com/Krazy_Kat_Illustration_by_George_Herriman____Compo-LOT46982.aspx

no worries, we'll sell it on eBay at $15k (and sorry but at this price, we can't offer the $60 shipping costs)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/George-Herriman-Original-Color-Krazy-Kat-Comic-Drawing-/172837804851

:applause:

This one is even funnier as it original sold quite recently on ebay for $6306:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/George-Herriman-Original-Comic-Strip-Art-Krazy-Kat-Ignatz-w-Cop-SKOA-1930s/311919742387?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Avengers #112 page 23 by Don Heck sold on eBay by "Make_Mine_Marvel_1973" on Oct. 14th for $880

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DON-HECK-AVENGERS-112-MARVEL-Original-Comic-Bronze-Art-1973-/222670904933?hash=item33d8385e65%3Ag%3AeksAAOSw1HxZ2Wvk&nma=true&si=2uOR%2FNN6u%2FazXo4ky32ENeJso0A%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Now listed for $1025 on Oct. 16. (Incorrectly listed as Avengers #113 probably because they were so quick to list for sale?).  Does this seller even have the art in hand? No shame.

http://www.comicartshop.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1428883

2 minutes ago, lobrac said:

Avengers #112 page 23 by Don Heck sold on eBay by "Make_Mine_Marvel_1973" on Oct. 14th for $880

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DON-HECK-AVENGERS-112-MARVEL-Original-Comic-Bronze-Art-1973-/222670904933?hash=item33d8385e65%3Ag%3AeksAAOSw1HxZ2Wvk&nma=true&si=2uOR%2FNN6u%2FazXo4ky32ENeJso0A%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Now listed for $1025 on Oct. 16. (Incorrectly listed as Avengers #113 probably because they were so quick to list for sale?).  Does this seller even have the art in hand? No shame.

http://www.comicartshop.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1428883

Eric Essington again. Not the first time and perhaps maybe the art never left 'the hand'?

18 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I think the eBay seller is Matt Stock, and the guy selling on CAF is EE.

Correct.

18 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

There two different guys right?

Worth pondering.

If shown to be different, how different?

21 minutes ago, vodou said:
40 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I think the eBay seller is Matt Stock, and the guy selling on CAF is EE.

Correct.

40 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

There two different guys right?

Worth pondering.

If shown to be different, how different?

Oh I was implying "they are two different people cause the guy selling it is Matt Stock on eBay and EE on CAF."

I bought a cover earlier this year that I'd wanted for a long, long time. I made the owner an offer not long after he put it up on CAF and he took it. I was so happy to have it. Then, a couple months later, a collector/dealer comes along and offers to buy it from me at a time when I'd spent everything I had and was getting hit with some pretty hefty bills, so, I sold it for barely a break-even price. The collector/dealer then put it up for sale for 3X what he'd given me for it and sold it. The previous owner flipped out on me and sent me numerous emails saying that he thought he was establishing a relationship with me and that it was so dirty of me to use him to get something I always intended to flip. I tried to explain to him that flipping it was never my intention, but that the offer was made at a time when I NEEDED the cash. He never got over the fact that I sold the art after buying it from him, even though I had a very good reason for selling it (along with a lot of other pages and covers that I bought from other dealers and collectors with the intention to keep, but that had to go because I really needed the money at the time). I hate that he got so angry and I apologized, but he never would accept my apologies. 

54 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

I bought a cover earlier this year that I'd wanted for a long, long time. I made the owner an offer not long after he put it up on CAF and he took it. I was so happy to have it. Then, a couple months later, a collector/dealer comes along and offers to buy it from me at a time when I'd spent everything I had and was getting hit with some pretty hefty bills, so, I sold it for barely a break-even price. The collector/dealer then put it up for sale for 3X what he'd given me for it and sold it. The previous owner flipped out on me and sent me numerous emails saying that he thought he was establishing a relationship with me and that it was so dirty of me to use him to get something I always intended to flip. I tried to explain to him that flipping it was never my intention, but that the offer was made at a time when I NEEDED the cash. He never got over the fact that I sold the art after buying it from him, even though I had a very good reason for selling it (along with a lot of other pages and covers that I bought from other dealers and collectors with the intention to keep, but that had to go because I really needed the money at the time). I hate that he got so angry and I apologized, but he never would accept my apologies. 

This is all about liquidity management. By going balls to the wall more than once (just in your story) you set yourself up to contradict whatever "long, long time" conversation you had with the previous owner. Maybe this was a one-off circumstance of really poor coincidence and you are otherwise not ever (or at least often) in the position of "spent everything I had" and "getting hit with some pretty hefty bills" or maybe...it's how you manage your money, a habit of poor liquidity management.

Buy what you can afford only after you've paid yourself (i.e. personal savings and investment) and you would only ever find yourself in that situation you describe once in a blue moon when absolutely everything in your life is going wrong (get fired, car craps out, wife walks, stock market crashes - all in the same week!) It maybe can happen, but it doesn't happen often.

1 hour ago, Michael Browning said:

Without knowing your relationship to the upset seller, perhaps you should have told him your intentions to sell the piece as you need some cash and gave him 1st crack to buy it back.

27 minutes ago, lobrac said:

wow, those two names keep popping up together

hm

4 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

2 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

Without knowing your relationship to the upset seller, perhaps you should have told him your intentions to sell the piece as you need some cash and gave him 1st crack to buy it back.

This is what I was going to say. I don't sell anything - I'm also not a big money player, this is a hobby to me in every sense of the word - but when I've purchased or traded items with other collectors, this is how I go about it. Some times it is literally mentioned as part of the transaction, but even if it isn't, I keep a list of where the art came from and would absolutely reach out to the previous owner first.

18 hours ago, vodou said:

This is all about liquidity management. By going balls to the wall more than once (just in your story) you set yourself up to contradict whatever "long, long time" conversation you had with the previous owner. Maybe this was a one-off circumstance of really poor coincidence and you are otherwise not ever (or at least often) in the position of "spent everything I had" and "getting hit with some pretty hefty bills" or maybe...it's how you manage your money, a habit of poor liquidity management.

Buy what you can afford only after you've paid yourself (i.e. personal savings and investment) and you would only ever find yourself in that situation you describe once in a blue moon when absolutely everything in your life is going wrong (get fired, car craps out, wife walks, stock market crashes - all in the same week!) It maybe can happen, but it doesn't happen often.

I manage my money just fine and don't need a lesson on "liquidity management".  There's no contradiction in my "long, long time" conversation I had with the previous owner. I wanted it for a long, long time. When I got it, I really figured I'd keep it for as long of a time. But, that didn't happen. He got mad and I apologized and then he sent me ranting emails about how I'd destroyed the "relationship" he was hoping to build with me. One purchase does not create a "relationship", nor was I expecting it to.

When I sell a piece, I don't ask that the buyer give me first option on buying it back. It's his to do with as he pleases. If he sells it, then that's his business. After it leaves my hands and the transaction is completed with the previous owner, what happens to the art next is no business of his or anyone else's. If I go buy a toy at Target and then pop it on eBay and resell it, I don't owe Target a "first option to buy it back".

It didn't bother me one bit that the guy who bought it from me sold it to someone else and made a profit.

If I buy something today that I've been searching for for years and it arrives in the mail next week and I like it then, that doesn't mean it's going to be permanent in my collection and that I won't want something else even more; if I want, I can sell it the very next day for whatever reason. None of this stuff is truly permanent and, barring it gets destroyed in a fire or something, it will all end up in someone else's hands down the road.

3 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

I manage my money just fine and don't need a lesson on "liquidity management".  There's no contradiction in my "long, long time" conversation I had with the previous owner. I wanted it for a long, long time. When I got it, I really figured I'd keep it for as long of a time. But, that didn't happen. He got mad and I apologized and then he sent me ranting emails about how I'd destroyed the "relationship" he was hoping to build with me. One purchase does not create a "relationship", nor was I expecting it to.

When I sell a piece, I don't ask that the buyer give me first option on buying it back. It's his to do with as he pleases. If he sells it, then that's his business. After it leaves my hands and the transaction is completed with the previous owner, what happens to the art next is no business of his or anyone else's. If I go buy a toy at Target and then pop it on eBay and resell it, I don't owe Target a "first option to buy it back".

It didn't bother me one bit that the guy who bought it from me sold it to someone else and made a profit.

If I buy something today that I've been searching for for years and it arrives in the mail next week and I like it then, that doesn't mean it's going to be permanent in my collection and that I won't want something else even more; if I want, I can sell it the very next day for whatever reason. None of this stuff is truly permanent and, barring it gets destroyed in a fire or something, it will all end up in someone else's hands down the road.

Blah blah blah.

You brought this tale to the Board, nobody forced you to, perhaps you were expecting sympathy? Collecting* is always personal and relationships often form on the basis of a single good-for-all-involved transaction. Run roughshod over that all you want but don't be surprised when some collectors find that attitude and your actions impersonal and disagreeable.

By your own admission you experienced a liquidity event that you lacked preparation for. You figured wrong (duh).

Private property rights works both ways. Just as you can do whatever you want with your property, so can the rest of us. And some of us, reading a story like yours, will do business with just about anybody but now not you. It's not like there's only one buyer (you) out there for most of this stuff. Actions have consequences.

But I mean...you probably already know all this consequences stuff having run similarly roughshod all over Comicart-L for years.

*as opposed to dealing