• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,085 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

I had no idea. I just didnt want to call anyone a flipper without any back up.

This is where a network, even a small one, that includes some old school collectors from different geographic areas, income levels, and collecting focuses can be really helpful. 

After a few short conversations you'll have a complete run down of every flipper, mercenary, predator, remora and vampire the hobby has/had to offer. 

Then you can call people out feeling confident in the label. 

4 hours ago, visarspike said:

sometimes i wonder : you all dislike people like erik essington, or some other, anyone who flips, but when it comes down to other people doing exactly the same thing, you all applaude and praise him :

see this post :

and tell me how different it is : he bought and re sold the same day, to rebuy art that he resold again (i think essingto n does the same)

you'll tell me that glenbru is a real collector, but to me, it's exactly the same thing, i'm pretty sure essington, or even the donnelly's for what i know are real collectors, and they keep a lot of the art they buy for themselves

again, you'll probably find a lot of arguments, but to stay simple, buying 10k, and reselling 17.5k the same day, that pretty looks like flipping to me.......but congrats glenbru, you made 7500$ that day, you're th best.....and shame to essington who makes a hundred bucks on a page, he should be burned like witches back in the old days...boooo !!

Not really a true story you've created here about that thread. I actually commented in that thread about the duality present in Glen's story... by 'duality', I mean the fact that it is an interesting story, if nothing else just due to the level of the art, but I still personally found the casual manner in which the 'flip to a friend' was commented on discomforting. I do agree with you that it didn't seem like the general commenting public agreed with me, but as others have said, silence doesn't equal acceptance. 

Edit: I'd also like to note - again, as I had to in the thread - that I don't judge the quality of a human being on one story on a message board. I think often people have too much of a 'one and done' mentality, they judge people by very harsh standards, and that tends to be more true for online communities than any other in my experience.

Edited by SquareChaos
Clarity

8 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Edit: I'd also like to note - again, as I had to in the thread - that I don't judge the quality of a human being on one story on a message board. I think often people have too much of a 'one and done' mentality, they judge people by very harsh standards, and that tends to be more true for online communities than any other in my experience.

I agree....I have a "Two and You're Through" philosophy personally.

Occasionally I can be convinced to stretch that to a "Three and I've Never Trust Thee."

Is the term 'serial flipper' allowed in this conversation?   The Subby incident seems like a singular event, recounted with joy/melancholy/nostalgia at the eventual outcome.  Buying something every 2 days, and bumping every single piece for sale is either 'serial flipping' or simply someone running a business using their own pricing model.  I'm assuming you're not considering EE (sorry out for 10+ years) as a dealer, but as often as I see him listing items for sale...  Is there a difference?  I'd hate to see a single art dealer that didn't start as a collector...  How can you possibly do this and not be passionate about it is beyond me.  I am not a dealer, but I can honestly state I never sold a piece for under what I paid for it; primarily because I love what I buy and therefore don't part with them for long periods.  I don't know the parties, I have no network, I Just have my 2.5 cents (inflation)

All I can say is that "serial flipper" was coined some years back in another collecting category I'm involved in. The choice of words was deliberately pejorative because the amount of times a piece changed hands in a short time (a few years or less) was being linked to the possibility of it being exposed to undue damage, either by way of items being thrown around during transit, airplane cabin pressure, temperature/climate shifts being delivered from two geographical points, or sitting in a non-temp controlled depot or the back of a delivery truck.  This doesn't exclude the possibility the piece comes under the ownership of someone who simply doesn't know or lacks the common sense required to properly store or package their items safely for delivery.  Some of these pieces were easily distinguishable when they reappeared due to their rarity, or because they retained characteristics that allowed them to be set apart from other similar pieces.

Recently one of these pieces reappeared with a very visible discolouration, and a grade drop, that consequently meant it was being listed for sale at a significant value drop. It may not readily apply to paper, but I'd err on the side of caution, especially if you consider this has happened to slabs sold by Heritage (particularly the visible melting of the barex inner well), and that we've already seen a major kerfuffle unfold over the "condition" of a piece. We may never see a piece with stats, logos, trade dress or mastheads that discolour or yellow from point A to B, but because of my exposure to these issues in other hobbies, I tend to be cautious and weigh out all my options before buying, and unfortunately this means a piece coming from a "serial flipper" would be way down low on my list of items I'd ever consider pursuing.

Edited by comicwiz

well, i didn't want to judge who's a good collector, and who's a bad one....but IMO, i think that many guys that are serial flippers may also be tasteful collectors....i have a friend of mine who reminded me of glenbru in his story

he sometimes (often) flips, but the benefits only allows him to buy artwork he likes, and he has very nice pages.....that he wouldn't have been able to buy only with his salary

i even bought from a flipper, because for some reason, i don't like buying on heritage (too much good stuff, i never know where to put my money), and i was happy to see a werewolf by night painting by leonardo manco on CAF after a heritage auction (i knew it was listed in this auction, but i bought it several days after for only 150$ more, so well, it wasn't that much, and i was really happy to get it)

12 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Just because someone hasn't commented in the thread, or said something on the boards, it doesn't mean that they "all" applaud or praise or like or "can stomach" any particular person. 

They may dislike that person and their business ethics and their overall personality with the white hot fury of a 1,000 suns that have gone supernova, but they might not be making that feeling known at every opportunity. 

I read Glen's story as "Flippers Regret" and he had to wait 20 years to tell it so the parties involved weren't inclined to break his legs.

14 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

I read Glen's story as "Flippers Regret" and he had to wait 20 years to tell it so the parties involved weren't inclined to break his legs.

"Flipper's Regret" would have made a nice title.  My first thought when I read that; I might've waited another 10 years to tell that story. 

22 hours ago, comicwiz said:

The choice of words was deliberately pejorative because the amount of times a piece changed hands in a short time (a few years or less) was being linked to the possibility of it being exposed to undue damage, either by way of items being thrown around during transit, airplane cabin pressure, temperature/climate shifts being delivered from two geographical points, or sitting in a non-temp controlled depot or the back of a delivery truck.  This doesn't exclude the possibility the piece comes under the ownership of someone who simply doesn't know or lacks the common sense required to properly store or package their items safely for delivery.

In the distant past I moved art I bought within 3/4 months of owning, simply because I didn't like it in hand, didn't read the same, etc... I shall be more cautious now.  Thanks for the multiple shipment's angle, I'd honestly not given that obvious concern any thought.  I'm certain it's more prevalent when encasing an item in a plastic vault.  Grades seem to matter quite a bit more there (to most) as well.  I understand grades/preservation matter more to some; but with art I believe a lot more leeway is given due to it's singular nature, when obviously it should have the maximum care and preservation.   And 'consider the source' does mean something to many as well.  There are some lines to cool (and bold) for even I to cross...

It should be no surprise that, just like today, pieces of art could bounce around from owner to owner quite frequently in the 1980s and 1990s.  As I have posted old ads to my ComicArtAds website, I have been surprised to see pieces advertised repeatedly and for various prices.  For example, page 11 from Captain America #108 by Jack Kirby and Syd Shores was advertised in the Comic Buyer's Guide by a comic book shop in Chicago called Variety Comics in 1994 with an asking price of $525:

http://www.comicartads.com/content/captain-america-108-page-11

(As a side note, it kills me that I lived around the corner from this shop for three years in the mid-1990s and never knew the store had comic art.)  This same page re-appeared in the Comic Buyer's Guide in 1997, being offered up by Diamond International Galleries for a few hundred dollars more:

http://www.comicartads.com/content/captain-america-108-page-11-1

This same page surfaced again in the Comic Buyer's Guide the next year, offered up by TriState at a price much closer to the 1994 price:

http://www.comicartads.com/content/captain-america-108-page-11-0

I'm not sure what caused these fluctuations, especially the lower price in 1998, but it's nice to see that art didn't always double in price each time it was offered to the public in succession.  Best regards, Lee

Wow, I was underbidder on this Azpiri piece in the last focused auction. It sold for $400. It's now up on eBay with a $3k asking price!

(Caution, image may be NSFW)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PENTHOUSE-COMIX-BETHLEHEM-STEELE-10c-ORIGINAL-COMIC-ART-nude-cgc-gga-sleaze/192461813227?hash=item2ccf9e35eb:g:lrcAAOSw~4tajHSG

On 2/23/2018 at 2:55 PM, F For Fake said:

Wow, I was underbidder on this Azpiri piece in the last focused auction. It sold for $400. It's now up on eBay with a $3k asking price!

(Caution, image may be NSFW)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PENTHOUSE-COMIX-BETHLEHEM-STEELE-10c-ORIGINAL-COMIC-ART-nude-cgc-gga-sleaze/192461813227?hash=item2ccf9e35eb:g:lrcAAOSw~4tajHSG

In the words of Alice in Chains  " Yeah here come the rooster, yeah" 

On 6/13/2017 at 9:23 AM, JadeGiant said:

Ha ha ha   I'll never let up on the brothers grim either. They bought something on Heritage a few moons ago for $600 and 9 months later my inquiry was an offer to sell to me at a generous mark up of only $4500. Hey anyone can ask whatever they want when they own something!  I just can't be that guy that buys it though.

On 2/10/2018 at 3:10 PM, visarspike said:

you'll probably find a lot of arguments, but to stay simple, buying 10k, and reselling 17.5k the same day, that pretty looks like flipping to me.......but congrats glenbru, you made 7500$ that day, you're th best.....and shame to essington who makes a hundred bucks on a page, he should be burned like witches back in the old days...boooo !!

Dear Visarspike,

I nearly choked myself while reading your post. How do you even dare comment on this topic when as recently as May 2017, you tried to flip art on CAF that you hadn't bought yet from the actual owner of the art ?   You bought one piece from him and immediately put it for resale on CAF. But you added many other pages on your sale list that didn't belonged to you.  

CAF  was alerted and you had to remove those pieces that you were selling without agreement of the actual owner. Just trying to flip without ever owning the pieces. This is despicable.

Also, you changed your aliases on CAF and on french chat boards multiple times these past few years. You don't do that so often when you act like a gentleman.  Only when you've been burned by many other collectors. 

All details about your actions here ; https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/415782-message-from-romain-someone-is-selling-my-art-on-caf/

Have a very nice day.

Edited by Comic Art Factory