• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,075 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, aokartman said:

This is the way I feel, too.  If sellers would simply be truthful, without deceit, I don't care if they make a quick buck if it is something they found that I want.  David

Agreed! This is what dealers do everyday (most honestly) lol 

This WITCHING HOUR  #60 cover sold in a lot of two (2) covers in the November HA Signature for $3,960. One of the covers is now being sold in a no reserve auction on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nick-Cardy-and-Luis-Dominguez-Witching-Hour-60-Cover-1975-original-art/143048388711?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Here is the original listing on Heritage with the full and detailed description of both covers and which artist drew which cover, which you should keep in mind in case you are bidding on the eBay auction.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/nick-cardy-and-luis-dominguez-witching-hour-60-cover-original-art-group-of-2-dc-1970-1975-total-2-original-art-/a/7192-93051.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

5 minutes ago, lobrac said:

This WITCHING HOUR  #60 cover sold in a lot of two (2) covers in the November HA Signature for $3,960. One of the covers is now being sold in a no reserve auction on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nick-Cardy-and-Luis-Dominguez-Witching-Hour-60-Cover-1975-original-art/143048388711?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Here is the original listing on Heritage with the full and detailed description of both covers and which artist drew which cover, which you should keep in mind in case you are bidding on the eBay auction.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/nick-cardy-and-luis-dominguez-witching-hour-60-cover-original-art-group-of-2-dc-1970-1975-total-2-original-art-/a/7192-93051.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

Very interesting, thanks for pointing out the ebay listing.  I had followed the HA auction.  Kind of a shame to break up the matching pair, both are nice pieces.  Seller has many other nice pieces on ebay.  And a website ...

berserkerart.com

I'll be watching the ebay listing (just for fun).

David

On 12/12/2018 at 11:25 AM, aokartman said:

Very interesting, thanks for pointing out the ebay listing.  I had followed the HA auction.  Kind of a shame to break up the matching pair, both are nice pieces.  Seller has many other nice pieces on ebay.  And a website ...

berserkerart.com

I'll be watching the ebay listing (just for fun).

David

Anthony Snyder had the two covers for sale during the summer and consigned them to HA on his return trip from SDCC 2018...

...I do not remember his asking price for the set. But, I am certain that he did 'o.k.' on the flip. The winning HA bidder would have likely paid much less had they haggled with Snyder out in the wild...

On 12/29/2018 at 2:44 PM, oldwhy said:

Yes this is me. Shameful to win an auction that anyone else could have outbid me in.  Even worse that I don’t keep it forever. And unforgivable that I decide to open it for sale at what I feel is closer to its actual value so that I could use the funds to upgrade my collection.   (i’m not as rich apparently as all of you who have unlimited funds and never sell to do the same)

if any of you who judge others on this thread sell what you buy at the same exact price you bought it for, you are a better person than me. kudos to you.

as my reply here will most surely result in a toxic flurry of additional judgements, i’ll just plead guilty to whatever it is you accuse me of doing and leave you your victory.

and to the guy who felt the need to call me out and who i also considered to be a collecting friend, thank you

I don’t need to justify my decisions or actions with anyone. 

Edited by Infamouspure22

2 minutes ago, Infamouspure22 said:

I don’t need to justify my decisions or actions with anyone.  I do not view myself as better than anyone else as it seems many of you do.

So this statement is both judging others and saying that your better than they are so I’m not really sure what you’re going for here 

Funny that no one had anything to say about this one I have for sale:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1519458

Bought from Anthony Snyder for $1250.  It’s been available for lower than that for a few weeks. 

Is selling for less than what you bought something for what you all feel is acceptable?

I recognize many on this thread who sell and sell regularly. Do you sell for losses too?

6 hours ago, Infamouspure22 said:

Yes this is me. Shameful to win an auction that anyone else could have outbid me in.  Even worse that I don’t keep it forever. And unforgivable that I decide to open it for sale at what I feel is closer to its actual value so that I could use the funds to upgrade my collection.   (i’m not as rich apparently as all of you who have unlimited funds and never sell to do the same)

if any of you who judge others on this thread sell what you buy at the same exact price you bought it for, you are a better person than me. kudos to you.

as my reply here will most surely result in a toxic flurry of additional judgements, i’ll just plead guilty to whatever it is you accuse me of doing and leave you your victory.

and to the guy who felt the need to call me out and who i also considered to be a collecting friend, thank you

I don’t need to justify my decisions or actions with anyone. 

I don’t begrudge someone for trying to make  a profit. The ones which I find outrageous is where someone buys a piece, particularly a so-so piece, and posts it at a resale price that is insanely high for the market. Like much of Coollines stuff, except you have to ask for the pricing. 

I am not that enamored with the Byrne art in that example, and I do like his style (particularly his older one), but I notice you are not listing a price, either. If I were in your shoes, I would list it at a price and see if you can make a few bucks.

10 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

hmm, if you flip for a loss, does it become the flop of the day?

On another board I frequent they call them failips. I love watching the balance of trade...rebalance ;)

Ok...just because it's New Years and this....  THE issue, quite simply is so conveniently overlooked.  Simply discussing (so chill) the above profit making plans, abilities, failures, successes or timeline's in resale.  In regards to the Witching covers....If you sell 1/2 the covers for 10 times the auction close, no harm (to anyone except the original seller).  EVERY single art dealer sell's for profit by design, certain collector's like to point out those out to make a quick (and often unreasonable) turnaround sale for some reason.  If this helps to avoid impropriety in bidding then I can understand the reasoning.  If those pointing out buy/sell's are dealers, I question not only their motive, but also their method.  If you sell 1/2 the covers, with 1/2 the story...then that's THE problem.  Always.  TRUTH and FULL DISCLOSURE (with back scans) be told about WHAT you are selling.   Terms such as 'un-used' cover, 'b' cover, alternate version, not to mention pencils/blueline only 'but I swear this was published from only the pencils'... are the bane of our hobby these days. If you appear to purposely avoid telling the WHOLE story, or not telling it, or skirting it...this community, more than any other I've seen, will quickly 'call it as they see it'. 

@Sideshow Bob thanks for your post- this is a very illuminating and illustrative point on the math of flipping the same piece in a short amount of time (though that was not your intent here) but it accurately describes how the price and value of a piece is very obscured by the fees to buyer and seller an associated tax and shipping. I've had several debates about his in the last year online about this subject - how "market value" and auctions results are not the same, for all the reasons described in your post.  Some have strenuously disagreed with me, which is there prerogative, and mostly because the are predicated on economic theory, and not market realities. Methinks they also had an ulterior motive to argue, because they wish to keep valuations artificially high for their own gain.