• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,075 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, robert frey said:

i think that is a recreation and not the original cover even.

I thought that too...but it was published in 2014 by Dynamite. 

It is a homage to the Valiant Solar #3 though.

16 hours ago, vodou said:

Who?

I have stuff acquired 25 years ago that I am not selling.

I do sell, or try to sell, some other art that I have in abundance or has gone out 

of favor with me in the context of my collection.

So, call me partial black hole, grey hole?

Offer me a gaziillion, and then we'll talk.

Most people have a price if it is large enough.

I'm no exception.

David

Black hole versus dumpster versus an active wing in a collection.

I didn’t think that a business action applied to a nostalgic hobby would be vilified. And Burkey seems quite successful with the method. 

Currently the most important part of the hobby is not plainly money.  Networking and relationships - being first in line are highly important. Burkey has a label of being approachable and will give an option. He’s on everyone’s list - and I know I will go to him if a trade gets complicated.

he took a line with a deal that no individual collector would.  Made a business decision that would benefit him in the long run not just the short term. A lot of those pieces are still on his site while i have a piece I love.  

Burkey also just sees market value.  I haven’t come across someone that had said he rejected a piece because Conan’s bew-ttocks weren’t plum enough (someone above would)

it seems with the most antagonistic In this thread seem to find it more important to ensure a strong wifi signal and uninterrupted power supply to the dehumidifier in their quarters under the bridge. 

Make some new friends, see how much easier it is to find the pieces you love at a reasonable price. 

if you’re only dealing with auctions and dealers - you are missing out on such an enjoyable part of the hobby. 

at the end of the day this is only one of a handful of ways to get art in your hand.  And if the price was out of line. It would sit. 

Edited by RS88

On 2/17/2020 at 8:04 AM, AnkurJ said:

Mike

I have zero interest in trying to “bring you down.” I choose no longer to deal with you and many others in this hobby due to the fact that you feel your actions are excusable. Whether I speak to you here or at a show, I would hardly expect an honest answer. All things are taken with a grain of salt.

That being said, newcomers in the hobby should know the truth of all that has happened. Thank you for confirming it again here so we don’t have to dig up old threads, some of which are long gone.

Actually Ankur..... it was "I" who chose many years ago.......to stop dealing with YOU!

If what you state above is TRUE Ankur,....... then "PLEASE" STOP texting me from your 609 area code phone number (as you've been doing for the past several years) 

pretending to be someone else, and  asking me for information with your multiple questions about comic art, and

When i notice the (609) area code when you text me,  I ask bluntly if this is ANKUR who is texting me ...and  you always say...."YES!" 

i really don't think its in good taste to share with the group your Captain America #36 and Captain America #74 stories where you were caught on these very CGC boards selling books with problems and blatantly lying about their condition... So i wont cut and paste the links for all "newcomers in the hobby" to see what reputation you ACTUALLY have in our hobby....

I'll just use "YOUR EXACT QUOTE"  from your CAP #36 thread when you were caught lying:......................

"I believe it's a forum rule that making negative remarks in another's sales thread are not allowed and is considered poor taste. If you have a question about the book, send me a PM."

Edited by romitaman

On 2/22/2020 at 2:51 PM, Kohei said:

He's not, that's why we have the phrase Black Hole Collectors.

Technically, Black Hole Collectors = Unlimited Budget. You don't care if your heirs get the value back out, it's all just "decoration art" money, etc. That's a fine way to collect. I just can't swing it, personally.

And if you'll forgive me for going full grimdark, we are all sellers at some point. Just a matter of time. Unless your heirs take on the collection and keep it going. (Ruh roh, new thread time! Maybe good for Comics General. Hmmm... You guys might have to venture over there.)

609 is South Jersey Mike. I’m in North Jersey and never had a 609 area code. Stop flattering yourself. And last I checked, this is not a sales thread though you’ve had no issues self promoting your site with every other post.

And Mike we all live with the decisions we make but comics and comic art is not my life Like it is for you. I have a great career, and a great family. I understand that those things aren’t your focus, but you have millions in cash. I don’t go on comic boards and brag about having hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash which you offer to people to buy art. How does that work. Why do you carry so much cash?

AnkurJ...i'm not exactly sure where this bragging about CASH post of yours came from? 

but if it makes you feel better, you can call my bank if you want know where all my "cash" is.....LOL

whatever your area code is that you kept texting me from, bottom line is......you acknowledged it was you when I asked if it was you, asking me questions about comic art like you were my buddy...while posting on these very boards at the same time to the contrary.

It's pretty clear now that i'm asking nicely for you to please text others AND contact others from now on when you want to know art values and when you have comic art questions......

That's best for us both going forward...and I hope you will agree.

Thanks

romitaman

Edited by romitaman

14 hours ago, romitaman said:

Actually Ankur..... it was "I" who chose many years ago.......to stop dealing with YOU!

If what you state above is TRUE Ankur,....... then "PLEASE" STOP texting me from your 609 area code phone number (as you've been doing for the past several years) 

pretending to be someone else, and  asking me for information with your multiple questions about comic art, and

When i notice the (609) area code when you text me,  I ask bluntly if this is ANKUR who is texting me ...and  you always say...."YES!" 

i really don't think its in good taste to share with the group your Captain America #36 and Captain America #74 stories where you were caught on these very CGC boards selling books with problems and blatantly lying about their condition... So i wont cut and paste the links for all "newcomers in the hobby" to see what reputation you ACTUALLY have in our hobby....

I'll just use "YOUR EXACT QUOTE"  from your CAP #36 thread when you were caught lying:......................

"I believe it's a forum rule that making negative remarks in another's sales thread are not allowed and is considered poor taste. If you have a question about the book, send me a PM."

hm 

14 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Technically, Black Hole Collectors = Unlimited Budget. You don't care if your heirs get the value back out, it's all just "decoration art" money, etc. That's a fine way to collect. I just can't swing it, personally.

And if you'll forgive me for going full grimdark, we are all sellers at some point. Just a matter of time. Unless your heirs take on the collection and keep it going. (Ruh roh, new thread time! Maybe good for Comics General. Hmmm... You guys might have to venture over there.)

I definitely do not have an unlimited budget; I just don’t treat my hobby as an “investment”.  And, I also won’t spend big bucks on it, either. For investing, I am perfectly comfortable with the stock market, thank you, and other non-collectible items. 

As for art just being “decoration art”, well sure, art is supposed to be decorative. I doubt the first purchaser of the Mona Lisa bought it with the intention to sell in a few years. When I buy art, it is to enjoy a pleasant memory of days gone by; a present day way of meeting like-minded collectors, as well as artists and writers, a way of learning things I did not know before, and a future of anticipated enjoyment of the past. And what the kids do with it, I don’t give a dam’n.

On 2/20/2020 at 7:01 PM, robert frey said:

i think that is a recreation and not the original cover even.

It's a reinterpretation/homage cover that was published by Dynamite on its Solar #3 in 2014. It's not the Solar #3 cover by BWS that was published by VALIANT in 1991 that you may be thinking of Robert.

On 2/17/2020 at 3:56 AM, romitaman said:

Maybe mike (vodou) will get his CGC buddies to delete my post here.... We shall see.....

Yes.

I let this one hang out there for a week, knowing your couldn't resist piling on with another to really hang yourself. That second is already deleted and now I've reported this one :)

Keep on bullying; I'll keep on reporting.