• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(attempted) Flip of the Day!
12 12

2,088 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, wurstisart said:

It is a flip though.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I was in-between deciding if I would post this.

The original price was under market indeed, but the short time the new owner kept it (and also the fact this is, however, a trully marvellous Garcia-López DPS, worthy of his legend) convinced me.

Nothing contentious, but, technically, a flip.

Edited by Ecclectica

4 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

And, as an aside, the same eBay seller has this up as a Romita Spider-Man splash and that splash is actually by Luke Ross:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Art-Spectular-Spiderman-259-Romita-Spiderman-Splash/333804177984?hash=item4db8478a40:g:UkIAAOSweXhfwKXq

I saw that too.

This morning, I sent him an email with link pointing to proofs that it was a splash from Spectacular SM #259 (Luke Ross / Al Milgrom - 1998) and telling he should expect considerably less money...

I'm not sure he will listen...

56 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

And, as an aside, the same eBay seller has this up as a Romita Spider-Man splash and that splash is actually by Luke Ross:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Art-Spectular-Spiderman-259-Romita-Spiderman-Splash/333804177984?hash=item4db8478a40:g:UkIAAOSweXhfwKXq

And it's up to $59k on the strength of the false claim to be Romita! How can this be reported to eBay, if the seller is unresponsive? I looked at the "report" options but couldn't find one for misrepresentation/false attribution of origin. Maybe eBay specifically doesn't want to know about that sort of thing so they can't be held liable. Caveat Emptor!

13 minutes ago, RBerman said:

And it's up to $59k on the strength of the false claim to be Romita! How can this be reported to eBay, if the seller is unresponsive? I looked at the "report" options but couldn't find one for misrepresentation/false attribution of origin. Maybe eBay specifically doesn't want to know about that sort of thing so they can't be held liable. Caveat Emptor!

I just got a response from him. I share it with you all :

"My add title says spectacular Spidermsn the cover and splash for 259 was done by a Romita the rest of the book had other artists go to This is a known fact"

Well...

Between this response and the new description...

"Original Art Spectular Spiderman #259 Romita Spiderman Splash. Ross did only the Green Goblin upper corner of splash This is the best image of Spiderman he has ever done Romita man sold and advertised sketch of a earlier issue for $200,000 this image is better Shipped with USPS Priority Mail."

... it leaves me speechless...

16 minutes ago, RBerman said:

I don’t think anybody has bid on this, it is the starting bid the seller expects.

16 hours ago, Ecclectica said:

I saw that too.

This morning, I sent him an email with link pointing to proofs that it was a splash from Spectacular SM #259 (Luke Ross / Al Milgrom - 1998) and telling he should expect considerably less money...

I'm not sure he will listen...

this art is from our renowned THEO.... He is in LA LA LAND with his artist credits and his nonsensical description, and that is putting it mildly.

Edited by romitaman

1 hour ago, romitaman said:

this art is from our renowned THEO.... He is in LA LA LAND with his artist credits and his nonsensical description, and that is putting it mildly.

Theo just responded and here is his response back to me when I told him his art is 100% NOT DRAWN BY JOHN ROMITA SR............

"Mike your entitled to your opinion!

But in my opinion it’s a great Spiderman and to me it looks like it’s done by Romita which i I am entitled to my “opinion!

That’s why we live in America freedom of speech you know!

I appreciate your opinion it’s just different then mine!"

He just raised the price from 59k to 69K after our email exchange! :)

Edited by romitaman

41 minutes ago, romitaman said:

Theo just responded and here is his response back to me when I told him his art is 100% NOT DRAWN BY JOHN ROMITA SR............

But in my opinion it’s a great Spiderman and to me it looks like it’s done by Romita which i I am entitled to my “opinion!

Geez, what a doo—che bag.

In my opinion, Guernica was drawn by Andy Warhol, and that makes it legitimate.

9 hours ago, romitaman said:

This entire listing is an insult to JR Sr.  I have asked him to change the item description immediately or be reported for fraud.

On 11/28/2020 at 1:09 PM, RBerman said:

On 11/28/2020 at 1:26 PM, Ecclectica said:

I just got a response from him. I share it with you all :

"My add title says spectacular Spidermsn the cover and splash for 259 was done by a Romita the rest of the book had other artists go to This is a known fact"

Well...

Between this response and the new description...

"Original Art Spectular Spiderman #259 Romita Spiderman Splash. Ross did only the Green Goblin upper corner of splash This is the best image of Spiderman he has ever done Romita man sold and advertised sketch of a earlier issue for $200,000 this image is better Shipped with USPS Priority Mail."

... it leaves me speechless...

Yeah, like @romitaman said, it's now got a $69K starting bid! But no, no one has bid on it and I doubt anyone will. The description is even funnier now:

"Spiderman Splash art for issue # 259 in “my opinion” I definitely attributed it to be done by Romita sr ! More ! Mike Burkey disagrees with my opinion and doesn’t think the splash is by Romita but I 100% disagree with that! If you are familiar with Classic Romita Spiderman art You can judge for your self! The Original cover Art for Spectular Spiderman #259 according to Marvel Data base was Romita! According to the internet Romita did the cover to this issue and possibly the splash ! Interesting enough this splash was supposedly originally planned to be the Spiderman 259 Cover ! In my opinion the splash is much better then final 259 Cover! just judge for your self ! Romita man sold and advertised sketch of a earlier issue for $200,000 this !I like this one better Shipped with USPS Priority Mail."

To be fair, he doesn't appear to have any ill intentions. He just believes what he believes, and of course is selling this piece based on that belief. I wonder where he got this and how much he paid for it. Hopefully he wasn't swindled.